Racing Underground
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 41s
Overall Rank = 12/191
Age Group = m30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/23
Pre-race routine:

Up early & had a yoghurt, oatmeal & oj, then drove out to Aurora. Probably there a little earlier than I needed to be but oh well. Hung out with Cathy (CoGirl) who racked next to me & was in the same wave.
Event warmup:

Not much. Did a very short run & stretch & then got in the water. It was pretty cold so I made a point of getting used to it.
Swim
  • 18m 1s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

Start was busy but not too crazy & I got into a rhythym pretty quickly. Had to dodge a few breaststrokers every now & then & also pop up to sight, but it was ok. Around the buoy went ok and then I kept finding feet & thinking I'd try to draft off them only to find I was swimming at a faster pace than them which confused me since we should have all been around the same pace by then, right? My lack of time in the water over the last couple of weeks started to show as I started to tire a little towards the end but I just pushed on & eventually I was at the beach. Felt faster than it actually was but that's probably just because I haven't been in the water much lately.
What would you do differently?:

Be a better swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Wobbled a little putting on my socks but otherwise it was fine. Started with the shoes clipped into the pedals and jumped on & that went fine.

Nothing. 3rd fastest overall is just fine with me.
Bike
  • 37m 57s
  • 12.9 miles
  • 20.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Legs felt a little tired to start but I just went out & tried to put up a good time. My HR was pretty high for most of the 1st 2/3 & I started to have some stomach aches not too far in. Pushed hard, but not as hard as I could have especially on a couple of the hills: there seemed to be a magic point where when I pushed harder than that my stomach would start to hurt so I stayed just below that point. I was only passed by one guy & I passed him back when he didn't gear down before a u-turn. Coming up the last hill I let up a little to try & get my breathing & stomach somewhat in control before the run. Considering the hills and that there was a u-turn every 2 miles I was pleasantly surprised with my speed.

Not much, I had a pretty good leg. Maybe not have the yoghurt for breakfast or drink so much lake water during the swim to try & avoid the stomach problems. I sipped on accelerade before the start & I may avoid protein before hard hard efforts from now on since I don't think its really neeeded.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Went smoothly, no problems.

Nuttin'.
Run
  • 26m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Jelly legs to start - they were pretty spent but I was expecting that after all the miles I've put in over the last couple of weeks. I felt like I was crawling along but eventually the jelly feeling went away. It was pretty lonely on the way out & I started to wonder where I was standings wise. Eventually I passed a few guys on their way back in who looked around the same age so I let those standings thoughts go. Around the 1st mile I started to get a little side stitch so I walked the aid station & got some water. Hit the turnaround with tired legs but I was pushing them ok. Then at mile 2 the sidestitch came back & forced me to walk a few times, including when I passed Cathy. Once I could see the finish line across the lake I figured I'd push thru the SS and get this thing done. There was someone a ways behind me but not very close and I started to feel better once I hit the pavement again.

Not really sure. If I'd know what place I was in I might not have been so lackadaisical about walking, but there wasn't much I could do about it anyway. No one passed me because of it though so it didn't really matter. I should try & experiment one of these times - I wonder if taking it easier by maybe a minute on the bike would save my legs enough to be two faster on the run?
Post race
Warm down:

There was a guy I passed on the bike (he ended up being 2nd in our AG)- he hung with me though and then left me in the dust at the start of the run. He thanked me for pushing the pace & then told me I probably placed which kind of dumbfounded me. Chatted with Christian a bit & ran into Mark (my coach) who was announcing. Then met up with Cathy again & compared notes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Marathon training & no taper.

Event comments:

Well its obviously not nearly as competative a field as the Boulder races but it still felt awesome to place & it was kind of bizarre to have people cheering because you are in the front and not have a ton of people already milling around at the finish. Would have liked to have a mile marker for mile #1 (or did I just miss it?) So after I finished I was hanging out watching & the leading woman from the HIM came up to one of the officials trying to figure out which way to go. Turns out she turned around at the 5k turnaround which wasn't marked very well so she ended up running 16 miles and came in 2nd to Amanda Lovatto.

Last updated: 2007-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:01 | 750 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 48/191
Performance: Good
Out of the water around 16:30.
Suit: Xterra full
Course: Out two big buoys and then straight back in. Then run up a hill to transition.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:57 | 12.9 miles | 20.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 5/191
Wind: Little
Course: Ok - go out, make a left, make a right, u-turn, make a right, u-turn, make a right, u-turn & do it again. No huge or long hills but it was a hilly course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:45 | 03.11 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 33/191
Performance: Below average
13:19 - turnaround
Course: Mostly along dirts roads & trails except for a couple of pavement stetches. Mostly uphill on the way out with a few ups & downs. Just enough ups & downs to annoy you & make it feel like you aren't going downhill very much on the way back in.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon

2007-09-17 1:20 PM
in reply to: #967709

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon

Mile marker 1 was at the aid station table...it was a small square and at the foot of the table. 

CONGRATS on a great race Drew!  And thanks (not really) for pointing out nudity in transition.  LOL!  Glad you didn't break your award!

2007-09-17 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Nice to meet you! Great race, seriously smoking bike time for all the  turns!
2007-09-18 6:32 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Congrats on your AG award.  You had a great race and it was good to meet you (if only for a few minutes).  Hopefully our paths will cross again on one of the local courses.
2007-09-19 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Great race and congrats on the AG placing! That was a brutal run course, with the hills and gravel. Reminded me of my cross country days. Based on your swim time, we came out of the water together. Great bike too for that course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed