Racing Underground
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 53s
Overall Rank = 55/191
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 5/26
Pre-race routine:

I got to the event WAY too early. I was there at 6:15 and it didn't start until 9am, but I had to pick up my packet and factored in too much time for that. I was one of the 1st 5 bikes in transition, but they had it flagged off weird and all of us early birds ended up farthest away from bike and run exit.
Event warmup:

I actually warmed up with a 15 minute jog for this one. I was super tired from a poor night's sleep and this helped wake me up. My nutrition was all screwed up because I forgot to buy power bagels and bananas. So I ended up with granola, dried fruit, and a Luna bar.
Swim
  • 17m 13s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

This included a 300 yd run across a sandy beach and up a steep hill to transition.

This swim was HORRIBLE for me. I can tell I haven't been in the water much. I was one of the first 4 out of the water in my wave, but I really sighted terrible and just never got a good handle on the water. I think swinging way wide after the turn really hurt me here. I did manage to draft this guy most of the way, which was nice. If I had swam this the way I know I can, I would have placed in the top 3 in my age group.
What would you do differently?:

Swim train more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

My wet suit got stuck a bit on my heels and the baby pools full of water were empty so I had to brush sand off my feet. Not my best T1, but pretty good considering I was still top 15% of the field. It was also a LONG run to the bike exit, down a narrow lane of bikes full of other racers.

Position myself differently in the T-area.
Bike
  • 46m 40s
  • 12.89 miles
  • 16.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Because of last minute construction, they had to totally reconfigure the bike course. It became a 2 loop, 5 u-turn course. Those turns really hurt everyone's times. It seemed that most of the turns were immediately followed by a big hill. It really stunk to be flying along in your groove and then have to slam on the brakes to execute a really tight hair-pin turn.

I really felt as if I did this bike the best I could have considering my training(or lack thereof). I felt great on the hills and awesome on the flats. I didn't leave anything back.

Train more on the bike!
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

This was a poor T2 time for me, but was still top 20% of the field. It didn't help that the volunteers directed me the wrong way to the exit and I ran around the entire T-area to get to the exit. When I came back to my rack spot, the girl next to me had thrown her crap in my bike spot, so I ran it over and kicked it out of my way. I was a little irritated by that.

Position myself better.
Run
  • 30m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a different course from what I expected. I thought it would be the Rattlesnake Course, but instead they took us up the hill onto the dirt road by the houses. It was HILLY and not just little one's! I felt as if I ran this the best that I could. I might have been able to give more because I was able to sprint at the end again. There was a woman in my age group about 100 yds ahead of me at 1/4 mile left, so I decided that would buy me one more place in my AG and I went for it. I was a total b!tch and passed her with 10 yds to go.

Run a little faster the entire race.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, massage. Saw Kathy(COGirl) and DrewB and that was nice. Kathy's kids are GORGEOUS!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of bike and swim training.

Event comments:

I almost bailed out of this race because of my lack of training. Friends and hubby convinced me to do it and I'm glad I did. I felt as if I put out a 100% effort and did well. It was a slower field than most races, but that was nice because it actually gave me people that I could chase down. Several girls blew by me on the bike that I later caught and passed on the run(yes, me! on the run!).

The race was a bit disorganized and I only saw 1 water station the entire time(at mile 1 on the run) and that was not enough. It would have been nice to have one right out of transition.

This race reminded me of how much I LOVE this sport!

Last updated: 2007-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:13 | 820 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 29/191
Performance: Average
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Out and back. Too few buoys to mark the lane.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:40 | 12.89 miles | 16.57 mile/hr
Overall: 80/191
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop course with 8 turns, including 5 U-turns. 780 feet elevation gain on this course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:13 | 03.11 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 83/191
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on a HILLY dirt road. It had about 380 feet elevation gain.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon

2007-09-17 4:56 PM
in reply to: #968237

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon
780 feet of elevation gain in 13 miles IS a LOT!  (let alone the run elevation!).  Hilly course!  Great race...nice work Melanie!  And heck, I think it's great that you out-sprinted someone at the end
2007-09-17 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Great race, it was nice to finally meet you. 5th place is awesome! You weren't kidding when you said you could swim - I was wondering who was putting up that rooster tail way ahead in the distance...
2007-09-18 6:46 PM

User image

, North Carolina
You had a pretty darn good race for someone who considered not even doing it.  No, I wasn't the one in the swimsuit who zipped you up.  Believe me, I had on a full long sleeve wetsuit and I was still freezing in that water.  Nice job today.  Hopefully I'll get to officially meet you at one of the local events.
2007-09-18 8:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats!  I'm staying out of your way in the transition area and the finish chute. 
2007-09-18 10:49 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Great race and sounds like end of the season for you!  Imagine if you would have felt better trained.  Have a great off season.

2007-09-19 6:11 AM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

Nice race Mel!  I am going to stay out of your way too!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed