Georgia Multisports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 00m 35s
Overall Rank = 255/500
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 40/55
Pre-race routine:

Stay at Sleep Inn by the race. Slept great. Had a Waffle House waffle and coffee at 5:30 AM. Setup space and ready to rock. I was surprised how relaxed I was given the stressful day before (another story for another day)
Event warmup:

Swam 200 yards to get a feel for the water. Talked with some people and had fun. It was a little chilly waiting for the start, but I like the cold more than blistering hot conditions.
Swim
  • 29m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started at the back of the starting line up (see below). I sort of liked time trial start. I was able to get into a rhythm right away. I had a problem with sighting and wasted some time zig zagging. The glare in the last section of the swim was a trip. I sighted for arms and hoped other swimmers were doing a better job than me! I felt good and had a good feel for the water. I thought I finished faster than my time.
What would you do differently?:

I should have given a better seating time. I would have liked to swam with some faster people and I wasted energy constantly changing direction to pass people.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

Someone moved my stuff! They switched the direction my bike was facing and put my run and bike stuff in one pile. I ran down the wrong isle as a result. I was pissed and everyone around me heard a little cussing. I sorted out my bike stuff and got moving. Good running jump on bike and got rolling. I had the slowest transit in my age group as a result of the rude boy move.

Deck the ass that moved my stuff and dumped it in one pile. This was a major not cool move. It was the first time I was not happy at a tri race.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 46s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 18.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Legs were ugly for the first two miles. I could not turn them over. I got rolling from 2 - 19. I lost focus for some reason and barely remember 19 - 23! I woke up and hammered until the park which was no pass. I did not do as well on the climbs as I wanted. I hammered the flat to rolling sections at a nice pace (25 or so). I got stomped on the bike. I lost 22 places and overall had a less than average time compared with others in age group.

I drank two large bottles, two gels and two electrolyte pills.

Not fall asleep next time. Seriously, I need to work on my LT tolerance. I have built base miles, but need some more intensity to build speed and power. I will start mixing in a few specialized workouts before the HIM.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Everything went smoothly, but slow. I moved through the process and got it done.

Not sure, but I know I need to work on it.
Run
  • 1h 02m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Where do I start. I am slow. I wanted to practice the discipline of run walk for the HIM. So, I started out 4:1. I held it well. Otherwise, I ran my pace, watched my heart rate and got it done.

Funny side note, there was mile markers on the run. After mile two, I calculated my needed pace. I kept looking for the 3 mile and it did not come. I was panicked because I was alone and thinking the wheels were coming off. I turned a corner and saw the 4 mile marker! Big smile on my face.

I have decided the fall / winter is dedicated to becoming a runner. I am determined to change this for next season. Everyone will see a different tri guy in the spring.
Post race
Warm down:

ate some food, drank some fluids, and walked around some. I high fived the guys at 1st Choice Healthcare. They have put Humpty Dumpty's pieces back together in record time. They were cheering for me at the transitions which was nice. Good guys and great at what they do. I highly recommend them.

Loaded up the car and headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running ability and lack of LT Bike workouts.

Event comments:

Great race. I did this race to learn to manage my resources for my HIM next month. I ate right and stayed with my run walk to ensure I had enough in the tank to do more. So, I am on track for my HIM in Oct. I am feeling much more confident.

Last updated: 2007-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:05 | 1640 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/55
Overall: 0/500
Performance:
Suit: no
Course: kinda boxy, out about 200 yards, then long straight, then turn back in
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:18
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:46 | 26.1 miles | 18.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/55
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: lots of rollers with a few sustained climbs
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:02:18 | 06.21 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/55
Performance:
Course: up or down, with not too much flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

2007-09-18 8:22 AM
in reply to: #968601

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon
Solid all the way around! Your swim is quite speedy and it looks like you're ready to take on Clermont. .

People messing with my stuff in transition can be really distracting. .These races attract all kinds but it takes a certain kind of jerk to rearrange stuff to the degree you described. They probably flatted out on the ride for the bad karma. .

Nice race - Good luck getting ready for FC.

c
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed