Westminster Road Runner's Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 28s
Overall Rank = 17/171
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am. Usual breakfast. Sipped Gatorade all morning. Took a cliff shot about 20 minutes prior to race. Race started at 8am.
Event warmup:

5 minute jog about 20-30 minutes prior to start.
Run
  • 1h 28m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

This is a great local race. Only a couple hundred runners. The course is tough. Very hilly. I think I may have paced myself a little too fast for the first half. My pace really slowed the last 5 miles. 1st mile time was 6:08. I passed the 8 mile mark at 52:10 (6:32/mile). The last five miles were really tough. The hills really took their toll on me after a while. I ran the last 5 miles at about a 7:10-7:15 pace and got passed by 5-6 guys. I was disappointed that they only had water at the aid stations. I really needed a few extra calories for the 2nd half of the race. I would have carried some gels had I known there would not be any gatorade at the stations. I fairly happy with my time considering the hilly terrain and the fact that I took in 0 calories during the run. This is actually the longest I've ever run so I guess can't be too disappointed. My previous long run was 12 miles...which I've done about 5 times. Definately need to increase my distances for Eagleman next year.
What would you do differently?:

Bring gels for the run. Start off at a more conservation pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Kissed the kids. Gave high fives. Told Dave about the HEDs I just bought on Ebay.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough water during the run. No calorie intake during the run. Very hilly.

Event comments:

great local race through rural Northern MD. Don't expect balloons and a jumbo-tron at the finish. No bands or craft shows. Good, hard challenging course and a great race for only $10. If you live in the area, support your local events and come out for this one.

Last updated: 2007-07-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:28:28 | 13.1 miles | 06m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 17/171
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops around rural area north of Westminster, MD. First loop is a bit longer than the second loop. Very hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes