Rock Springs, Texas
United States
Xterra
Total Time = 3h 14m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Mixed Relay
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up well before the crack of dawn to drive 2 hours to the race site. Fought as hard as I could to stay awake while I drove.

Turned onto the rough dirt and gravel road. Suddenly Haley was very nervous. The Mini isn't exactly made for this kind of off-roading. Had to ford a large puddle or two.

Then we saw it. The large puddle with an unknown depth and just a small strip of visible land on the edge. Too risky for the Mini so we had to leave it there and pile into the Steve and Marcy's Xterra.
Event warmup:

Got there and let everyone else setup their transition spots while I walked around with the camera. I could get used to this relay stuff.
Swim
  • 21m 38s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Still waiting on Haley to do her share of the race report....
Transition 1
  • 00m 30s
Bike
  • 2h 16m 18s
  • 10 miles
  • 4.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Still waiting on Marcy to do her share of the race report....
Transition 2
  • 00m 25s
Comments:

Stopped Marcy as soon as you came into transition and took her chip. Sprinted out and couldn't wait to start picking off runners.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Run
  • 35m 54s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Sprinted onto the course, slowed for a second to cross the cattle gaurd, then kept the pace up heading down hill. Started climbing as we turned into the woods and caught my first runner. Mmmmm...blood. I want more.

Watched my step over the rocky terrain and looked up just enough to spot the trail markers. Hit the switchbacks and I could see a bright orange shirt up ahead. Gave him an on your left and never had to break stride.

Hit a clearing and tried to make up some time. I didn't know how many relays teams were between us and the podium, but I did know that several of them were only a few minutes ahead.

Came to what I thought was the top of the hill which really was more of a false flat. Came up on two women jogging together and passed them before the trail narrowed again.

Started running parallel and maybe a bit down the hill. Lots of big roots and rocks to dodge. Damn this was fun! Had to be careful not to hurt an ankle but you have to love trail running.

Then out of no where I caught a relayer! One down. As many more as I can catch to go. Low and behold, I could see the next one not too far ahead.

Hit the aid station and grabbed a cup of water. Now the trail was good and wide as we hit a steep and rocky downhill. Tried to take good long strides as I avoided the uneven spots. Pulled ahead and hit the bottom of the hill with a nice little lead.

Had to go cautiously down some ledges, up a hill and we were on the 2nd half of the trail. Ran down the gravel road and after a minute started to notice that there weren't any trial markers. How long could this last?

Then I look over and the woman I passed a minute ago is running through the field to my left. Damn it! I'm off the course! Ran back and picked up where I left off.

Climbed over the wooden ladder obstacle and took some shit from Marcy and Haley for not knowing the course. Came down the hill where the swim started and crossed over the dam which was under a few inches of water and not more than a foot wide.

Moved ahead of two more relayers on the other side of the river and was getting confident that we were on the podium now. Pushed hard the fire road until the upstream crossing. This was a bit deeper than the first time.

Water was probably above my knees most of the time. Not too slick but I was still careful to not loose my balance because I was trying to rush. Did the best I could to get my feet out of the water with each step but it wasn't easy.

Back on dry land again we ran down the shore before cutting in. Then we hit the stairs. These were a killer. I did everything I could to keep a rhythm and only put one foot on each step. My legs were burning but we were so close to being done.

Jogged for a second at the top while my legs recovered and soon it was back to running. Passed one last relay girl on the last stretch and rounded the last corner before the finish.
What would you do differently?:

I did this as part of my scheduled one hour run for the day so I should have kept my HR lower. But damn did I ever have fun.
Post race
Warm down:

Turned in my timing chip and kept on running. I still had nearly a half hour before my run was done. Went back on the course and paced one of the guys I passed through the river section.

Still had time left so I went back to find Steve in the hills and ran the rest of the way with him. Had a beer or two afterwards. Got speedo boy's name (see Haley's RR) so I could add him to my Facebook list and send him the pics.

Watched Haley do a push-up contest. Got our awesome wooden X awards before getting a ride back to the abandoned Mini and heading back to San Antonio. Left my flip flops on Steve's roof and luckily saw one fall off so I didn't loose them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Trying to stay in my training HR zone.

Event comments:

Fun race, but I can only speak for the run portion.

Last updated: 2007-09-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:38 | 1000 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: