General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Foot Stress Fracture Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-24 3:48 PM

Lisle, IL
Subject: Foot Stress Fracture Question

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I found no help in searching the forums and the articles are very basic in their suggestions. After doing a slight increase in my run training I got a stress fracture on the left side of my left foot. I am calling to schedule an appointment with my MD, and I am trying to minimize my time on my feet, which isn't very easy with a 7 y.o. boy.

My question pertains to other forms of training. I know I can swim, and if I use a deep water vest, I can "run" in the pool, but I was wondering about using my bike. Is riding a bike a non-impact exercise for foot stress fractures?

Thanks.

2007-09-24 6:07 PM
in reply to: #977284

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Foot Stress Fracture Question

I probably wouldn't bike if I had a stress fracture in my foot.  I had a stress fracture in my tibia and my doctor said that I shouldn't do anything that would put pressure on it because that would prevent healing.  Because it was in my leg, I could bike as long as my rides were flat and I wasn't standing to climb.

Definitely talk to a doctor - I actually went to a sports medicine doctor.  She put me in an aircast because it's supposed to help healing.  She has also been great in helping me put together a plan to start training again really slowly to prevent re-injury. 

2007-09-25 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

It probably depends upon the extent of the stress fracture.  When I had one (1st metatarsal) I was initially told by my GP that easy cycling would be OK but when it didn't heal and I saw someone who specialized in feet and sports injuries she said that I should give the cycling a rest for a while to allow the healing process to start.

So just make sure you see someone who knows what they are talking about, preferably someone who deals with athletes on a regular basis.

2007-09-25 8:39 PM

Lisle, IL

Thanks for the replies. I see my doctor on Monday, so I will hold off on bike riding until I know how serious the SF is. I would hate to make a bad situation worse.

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Foot Stress Fracture Question Rss Feed