Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-10-01 8:52 PM
in reply to: #984749

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Fast Food Sponsorships
I wish I could claim that was me in the photo! I just liked the motto!

2007-10-01 10:44 PM

User image

SoCal
Why would it any better for PF Chang's or Chili's to sponsor a marathon when the calorie counts of their meals are 3x higher than a meal at McDonald's or Taco Bell? The fast food restaurants in this country are really kind of getting an unfair deal here--all of them have healthier and less healthy options available on the menu, and all of them publish their nutritional information, while the vast majority of sit-down restaurants do NOT. From the ones that do, it's interesting to see how the numbers compare.

For example (and I know I'm picking on PF Chang's here; sorry!), the beef and broccoli at PF Chang's is 1120 calories WITHOUT rice. It's not an obscenely large portion, either--their plates have become smaller over the years, and it's not really enough to share comfortably with the table anymore. The beef and broccoli at Panda Express (gasp--fast food!) is 150 calories for 5.5 ounces. You'd have to eat over 35 ounces of beef and broccoli at Panda to equal what's in one serving at PF Chang's!

Now, does that mean that they shouldn't be allowed or encouraged to put on the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon and raise money for Team in Training? I don't think so. I hope it encourages more companies to do so, and of course, if anyone doesn't agree with the main sponsor of an event, they can choose not to sign up.
2007-10-02 1:45 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
No wonder PF Chang and Pei Wei taste so good. Working in the industry, I would say that while you can make more healthy choices when eating out, the vast majority of the public does not. The key is to watch not only the ingredients, but also the portion sizes. Being a "clean plate kid", if I don't watch it, I will hammer back 1500 to 2000 cal in meal. It is not hard if you have an app, a salad and an entree.

Why does everything that is so bad for you taste so good???

As far as fast food sponsorship of athletic events? Why not? If they want to lay out the cash the "Just smile and wave boys, just smile and wave...."
2007-10-02 7:00 AM

User image

Regular
Manassas, VA

A wise man once told me something profound.  "Everything in moderation, including moderation."

2007-10-02 7:18 AM
in reply to: #986792

User image

Master
Madison, WI
I'm all about the everything in moderation approach, too. So, I don't have huge issues with fast food (or any food) sponsorships of races.

Now, if you really want to get me going, let's talk about Power Bar and Gatorade being given out on the course and the HFCS that's in that stuff. Argh.
2007-10-02 7:32 AM
in reply to: #986970

User image

Champion

And the problem with that is what exactly?

DeannaS - 2007-10-02 7:18 AM  Now, if you really want to get me going, let's talk about Power Bar and Gatorade being given out on the course and the HFCS that's in that stuff. Argh.

2007-10-02 8:06 AM
in reply to: #986981

User image

Master
Madison, WI
The problem with that is that even if you don't buy into the idea that HFCS is a contributing factor to the obesity epidemic, I think it's fairly well accepted that fructose is a sugar that is more apt to cause GI distress. So, I don't understand why a: companies put in products for athletes to use when easy digestion is of the utmost concern and b: races give it out on the course for things like Ironman, where GI distress is a huge issue.

When I volunteered at Ironman this year, your choices on the run course for sweet stuff where: Powerbar bars, powerbar gels, gatorade, coke, or fruit. Every single thing had fructose in it, and most had HFCS. WTF?
2007-10-02 8:25 AM
in reply to: #987041

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
DeannaS - 2007-10-02 8:06 AM The problem with that is that even if you don't buy into the idea that HFCS is a contributing factor to the obesity epidemic, I think it's fairly well accepted that fructose is a sugar that is more apt to cause GI distress. So, I don't understand why a: companies put in products for athletes to use when easy digestion is of the utmost concern and b: races give it out on the course for things like Ironman, where GI distress is a huge issue. When I volunteered at Ironman this year, your choices on the run course for sweet stuff where: Powerbar bars, powerbar gels, gatorade, coke, or fruit. Every single thing had fructose in it, and most had HFCS. WTF?
have you ever drink a coke during a long race or during a long ride?

Edited by amiine 2007-10-02 8:36 AM
2007-10-02 8:41 AM
in reply to: #987041

User image

Champion

Aside from the fact that powdered Gatorade doesn't have HFCS in it, and fruit's not really very changeable, how do you propose they offer simple sugars on the course?

DeannaS - 2007-10-02 8:06 AM The problem with that is that even if you don't buy into the idea that HFCS is a contributing factor to the obesity epidemic, I think it's fairly well accepted that fructose is a sugar that is more apt to cause GI distress. So, I don't understand why a: companies put in products for athletes to use when easy digestion is of the utmost concern and b: races give it out on the course for things like Ironman, where GI distress is a huge issue. When I volunteered at Ironman this year, your choices on the run course for sweet stuff where: Powerbar bars, powerbar gels, gatorade, coke, or fruit. Every single thing had fructose in it, and most had HFCS. WTF?

2007-10-02 8:42 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
It would make it a lot easier if Arbys would sponsor some races so I dont have to hunt one down after a long race.  I thought I would kill for some of that goodness the day after MOO.
2007-10-02 9:45 AM
in reply to: #987079

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Not a coke - but I've compared drinking powdered gatorade (no fructose) with liquid gatorade (fructose) and I can tell the difference.

And, to answer both questions at once - there are a lot of sports drinks (including powdered gatorade) that don't have fructose in them, let alone HFCS. My proposal is that big races work to get sponsorships from the nutrition companies that make products with better ingredients. I'm also NOT saying that they shouldn't offer coke - but I am saying that athletes should have at least some non-fructose choices available.

But, I think what it comes down to is that, at least in America, HFCS is cheap and subsidized and the companies that use it have the deep pockets people are referring to regarding McDonalds and RJR, etc. So, they're the companies that sponsor the big races. Consequently, what athletes are offered on the course is affected. My point is that I couldn't care less if McD's sponsors a race because I don't have to eat their food. I DO care if Powerbar does and it's a race distance long enough to require nutrition. Because if Powerbar is the sponsor, that means I need to carry all my own nutrition.

2007-10-02 9:53 AM
in reply to: #987298

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

DeannaS - 2007-10-02 9:45 AM Not a coke - but I've compared drinking powdered gatorade (no fructose) with liquid gatorade (fructose) and I can tell the difference. And, to answer both questions at once - there are a lot of sports drinks (including powdered gatorade) that don't have fructose in them, let alone HFCS. My proposal is that big races work to get sponsorships from the nutrition companies that make products with better ingredients. I'm also NOT saying that they shouldn't offer coke - but I am saying that athletes should have at least some non-fructose choices available. But, I think what it comes down to is that, at least in America, HFCS is cheap and subsidized and the companies that use it have the deep pockets people are referring to regarding McDonalds and RJR, etc. So, they're the companies that sponsor the big races. Consequently, what athletes are offered on the course is affected. My point is that I couldn't care less if McD's sponsors a race because I don't have to eat their food. I DO care if Powerbar does and it's a race distance long enough to require nutrition. Because if Powerbar is the sponsor, that means I need to carry all my own nutrition.

The issue with this is nutrition is all over the board for each and every individual, so no matter who you go with, as an RD you will have athletes who you will not be carrying what they use.  I would love InfinIT to sponsor and be available at the races, but even with that, as a customized drink, there are still issues.

2007-10-02 9:56 AM
in reply to: #985454

User image

Veteran
ranger5oh - 2007-10-01 12:20 PM

I think one point is that fast food companies dont necessarily WANT to sell things that are unhealthy, its just thats what is profitable for them.

Personally, I think McDonalds supporting triathlon, or other races is great. I think it says "We do care, and are trying to change.. even if it is slow" McDonalds has been adapting their menu to provide some healthier choices. They cant just switch their entire menu because they would go out of business. They need to make small changes and see what works, and what is profitable.

• Solid post. This is the thing facing restaurants in the US, be it fast food or sit down type places. People can say what they want about healthy options, but consumers vote with their wallet. As such, places have to serve unhealthy stuff and in huge portions. Research shows time and time again that people rate places higher that have bigger portions, even if the food is identical.

As he said above, if McD's went all healthy tomorrow they would be out of business by Jan 1.

Does anyone think that places in NYC would have just gone away from trans fats on their own or under consumer pressure (of which there really is none)? The gov't stepped in as a first step. I used to be a huge personal choice guy, but the more and more I think about it it just is not working so well in the US. We need to get a lot of crap out of the restaurants and off the shelves. Like trans fats. Like HFCS.
    2007-10-02 9:58 AM
    in reply to: #987298

User image

Coach
    Boston, MA

DeannaS - 2007-10-02 9:45 AM Not a coke - but I've compared drinking powdered gatorade (no fructose) with liquid gatorade (fructose) and I can tell the difference. And, to answer both questions at once - there are a lot of sports drinks (including powdered gatorade) that don't have fructose in them, let alone HFCS. My proposal is that big races work to get sponsorships from the nutrition companies that make products with better ingredients. I'm also NOT saying that they shouldn't offer coke - but I am saying that athletes should have at least some non-fructose choices available. But, I think what it comes down to is that, at least in America, HFCS is cheap and subsidized and the companies that use it have the deep pockets people are referring to regarding McDonalds and RJR, etc. So, they're the companies that sponsor the big races. Consequently, what athletes are offered on the course is affected. My point is that I couldn't care less if McD's sponsors a race because I don't have to eat their food. I DO care if Powerbar does and it's a race distance long enough to require nutrition. Because if Powerbar is the sponsor, that means I need to carry all my own nutrition.
    next time you are about to bonk during a long training day or struggling in a long race, please drink a coke and let me know your thoughts about it...

Drinking a few cokes or any HFCS drink every now and then won't kill you. I don't see how consuming some HFCS could be a concern during a race if it is not part of your diet 99.9% I don't drink soft drinks at all, but I love cokes when racing!

2007-10-02 10:00 AM
    in reply to: #987315

User image

Master
    Madison, WI
    jszat - 2007-10-02 9:53 AM

The issue with this is nutrition is all over the board for each and every individual, so no matter who you go with, as an RD you will have athletes who you will not be carrying what they use. I would love InfinIT to sponsor and be available at the races, but even with that, as a customized drink, there are still issues.

I agree that you'll never please everyone. But, I still argue that nutrition sponsorships are far more important/have much more impact on the athletes than media/what gets put on my t-shirt sponsorships - even though the sponsors on the t-shirts are what the general public actually sees and notices.

(The Infinit sponsorship is one of the positives of the SOR half vs. the High Cliff (gatorade) half.)

2007-10-02 10:09 AM
    in reply to: #987333

User image

Master
    Madison, WI
    amiine - 2007-10-02 9:58 AM
    next time you are about to bonk during a long training day or struggling in a long race, please drink a coke and let me know your thoughts about it...

Drinking a few cokes or any HFCS drink every now and then won't kill you. I don't see how consuming some HFCS could be a concern during a race if it is not part of your diet 99.9% I don't drink soft drinks at all, but I love cokes when racing!

I know a lot of people really dig coke on the race course. I'm really not arguing that.

If I were to decide to try it, I'd have to do it near home, near the end of a workout, so that when my guts revolt, I don't wind up in the bushes.

And the 99% of the time issue? Well, I'd LIKE to train like I race, and I certainly DON'T want to be doing HFCS during all of my training.

Reality is that I haven't done a race long enough where it's an issue. But, as I look to going longer, it's going to be an issue for me.

2007-10-02 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
    Glen Carbon
    If they give me clothing or gear, I will accept it. So anyone out there looking for a slow, bald triathlete, I'm the guy.

See being slow would be an advantage because potential customers would see the advertising for longer periods of time.
    2007-10-02 3:34 PM
    in reply to: #986578

User image

drdi - 2007-10-01 5:41 PM

Esquiredo - 2007-10-01 3:27 PM What's wrong with you people?  You guys don't eat fastfood?  I don't care for McDonalds, but I love a Whopper now and then, and I go to Taco Bell way more than I should.  I'm a relatively healthy eater (lots of fruits and veggies), but life is about moderation - and I'll treat myself to unhealthy food every now and then.  Wings, nachos, and beer are not very healthy, but they taste damn good - especially if you're watching an exciting sporting event w/ friends and family.  If fast food companies want to support triathlons, god bless em. 

Absolutely!  I LOVE McDonald's burgers (my preference of the big three), but any fast food burger will do from time to time.  How often?  Maybe 2-3 times/year.  Eating high calorie foods every so often is a perk from exercising all the time.     

tritto... or quadritto.... or whatever.  Please, my favorite post Wildflower HIM meal is 2 egg mmuffins and a coke!  Don't eat it every day (or every week, or ery month), but I think it's great that race directors can get large corp's to sponsor races

2007-10-03 5:29 PM

User image

Master
    Calgary, AB
    Silver member
    I started doing this so I could get away with eating my Arbys/McDonalds/BK several times a week. Love it.

2007-10-04 8:36 AM

User image

Elite
    I have to reiterate Taco Bell here. Taco Bell is great. Someone else quoted "Everything in moderation, even moderation."

No one can deny this is a good meal:
    Regular Style Grilled Stuffed Burrito - Chicken
    Beans, Chicken, Fiesta Salsa, Pepper Jack Sauce, Rice, Three Cheese Blend, Tortilla
    Calories - 640
    Fat - 23gms
    Protein - 34gms
    Carbs - 73gms

2007-10-04 8:46 AM
    in reply to: #991106

User image

Giver

Anyone have a problem with this? Anyone know how many calories in a carnitas burrito w/ guac and sour creme? How about adding a big basket of chips and cheese?

Attachments
    ----------------
    chipotle (72KB - 29 downloads)

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast Food Sponsorships Rss Feed  

of 2