General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » brand new triathlete! and new BT Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-01 7:30 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: brand new triathlete! and new BT
Wow, it's amazing to say it, but I really did it. 12 weeks ago, I couldn't swim 25 meters without gasping for breath. 12 weeks ago, I dusted off my 1981 Miyata 10 speed (couldn't get all the rust off)--it was sitting in dad's garage. Saturday, Sept 29, was pretty much my biggest physical (and mental) accomplishment since completing the Big Sur Marathon 6 years ago. Run, no problem, but swim? So I trained with a great group of women and learned to swim Total Immersion style. My biking background consisted of spin classes at the gym 2x a week for the past year that I am totally addicted to. And I would run about 3 miles twice a week. I know, that's it? But during our 12 weeks of training, we met 3x a week. Track workout (speed intervals) one night. Swim training one night ( I was basically learning to swim while everyone else did tons of challenging things--see I don't even know what they were doing). And then on our Saturdays we met for long hilly bike rides and brick workouts of every type. And even though I felt fairly good swimming by the end, I was still somewhat fearful for the swim in a lake. We had practiced open water 4x and each time, I felt like I couldn't get air into my lungs. But on Sat, those 400 yards went by so amazingly easily! I did have to rest on my back a few times but it was okay. And my "clunker" bike carried me well and darn fast! I did my run in 7:30/mi mostly because I saw the one woman who passed me on the bike up ahead of me and I wanted to see if I could catch up. Anyhow, I did, and passed her and then there was the finish line! What joy! It was so much fun. The rest of my teammates were there or finishing and it was really a big party. I can't wait to do another one, and build up my swimming over the winter. This site is really great. I have been lurking a bit but learning alot.

thanks for listening all,

kim from sf

2007-10-01 9:23 AM
in reply to: #984987

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: brand new triathlete! and new BT

Great introduction Kim!  Welcome to BT and Congrats on your accomplishments so far.

With your enthusiasm you'll go far in this sport.

Best of luck!

2007-10-01 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Welcome to the Cult!  

Seriously, you've found a paradise here!  Enjoy! 

2007-10-01 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Awesome story! Sounds like you had a fun time and that there are many tri gadget purchases in your future.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » brand new triathlete! and new BT Rss Feed