Greenwood, South Carolina
United States
set-up.inc
Total Time = 6h 08m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Despite this being my first (two armed) race of the season, I was able to fall asleep early and slept through the night to 4:00 am when I got up just before the alarm clock. Went downstairs to the luxurious breakfast bar courtesy of the Hampton Inn, ate two packets of oat meal + a small cup of yogurt + loaded up the bike. Swung by the Fairfield Inn to pick up two friends and muddled our way through hill and dale to the race site.
Event warmup:

Drank a bottle of water before swimming ~100 yds in my wetsuit.
Swim
  • 42m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m / 100 yards
Comments:

Swimming, surprisingly enough, was not an issue. Loved being back in my wetsuit and felt relatively good in the water. I started in the back of the pack and waited 15-20 seconds for the wave to go ahead ... and then slowly and methodically focused on breathing + high elbows for the first 200 yds. In no time I caught up with the racers who hammered too hard and were struggling to get their heart rate down.

I caught myself a couple times trying to keep up with a fellow racer or two and then reminded myself to have the discipline to race my own race.

Sighting was difficult swimming out directly into the sun, but was still relatively good given that this was my first real open water swim since St. Anthony's.
What would you do differently?:

Apparently I went too hard as my HR would not come down for the first 4-5 miles on the bike. I suspect that I might have went too hard towards the last 200 yds trying to pick up position, thinking erroneously that it would calm down in transition.
Transition 1
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

Despite a picnic transition my HR still would not come down. I could have easily cut the time in half, but was more concerned about being methodical while hoping that HR would steady out.

Took a shot of Gu from the Gu flask and headed out.

Not sure if this was a good move or not, but I put my HR monitor strap on in transition instead of before the swim. I have had issues with getting a HR signal to pick up after the swim in other races and I did not want to chance it for this one.
Bike
  • 3h 10m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Where to start with the roads? These were easily the roughest roads I have ever races or even trained on - add to that the vicious headwinds and I was ready to get this over with.

Despite the desire to hammer, I pulled back + was disciplined by letting people pass and staying in high Zone 3/very low Zone 4 for most of the ride. Drank no less than 5 bottles - four with CarboPro + three of those with Gu2O ... the first bottle within the first 20 minutes (thirsty from the run).

Ended up having to stop two times to urinate - I just couldn't bring myself to pee on my new bike ... the bike I felt unworthy to have.

Outside of four descents, I did the entire 56 miles in the lower chain ring and in Zone in order to save my legs for the run - and that cost me a lot of time (and pride). That said, I just knew that it would pay off on the run and that I would catch those that passed me there.

Push harder in the gears ... spinning through the gears made for a longer than necessary ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Slowed prematurely at the exit instead of around the corner to the bike entrance - duh!

Saw Greg and another friend in transition and waited a minute so that we could run out together ... then I realized that I left the transition area without my race belt and had to circle back from up the street to go get it - double duh!

Pack a brain.
Run
  • 2h 06m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, tried to be judicious with my glycogen and to stay in Zone ... this lasted for the first three miles - then got frustrated and blew it out.

I ran the next 10 some-odd miles between Zone 5.1-5.5 ... waaaay above threshold and suffered through the rest of the run.

Saw Kraig towards the finish line and ran in to the finish with him.

Very cool to see our NAMSC peeps and training buddies throughout the course as well as our cheering section.

Volunteers on the run course were awesome.

Be disciplined and try to stay in zone ... this something I will have to remember for the first half of the marathong at IMFL.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the med tent to get a bag of ice for the hammy's and another for the knees - knew I went to hard and wanted to take preventive action.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crap ... where do I begin?

South Carolina portends a long day for IMFL. I would not be honest if I didn't say that I was disappointed with my finish time - which is some 13 minutes slower than last year (when I bonked on the run and did not train half as much).

Granted that I have had a training hiccup or two since April and have only swam 18,500 yds prior to the race, I still should have had a better bike split and a better run.

Florida is a different race and a different day. I just hope to do better.

Event comments:

Bike road course stinks; the road is rough - no way around it.

Overall well organized and well done. There were some hiccups with the bike in/run out thing, but that is to be expected when you have to share the road with vehicular traffic as well.

The Park Police, Highway Patrol and other law enforcement folks were awesome.

Last updated: 2007-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:12 | 2112 yards | 01m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Rectangular point to point course, directly into the rising sun ... which made sighting a bit tricky. (The Elite way got lost in the glare)
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:09
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:10:49 | 56 miles | 17.61 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:06:37 | 13.1 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-10-01 9:05 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: South Carolina Half

Despite the crapacular finish time, it was a fun day with lots of friends .. particularly enjoyed the North Atlanta Multisport tent + the cold Schlitz 20 oz that Jonathan had kindly placed in the cooler for me.

Nothing stops the Bull.

:)

Edited by brian 2007-10-01 9:07 PM

2007-10-01 10:22 PM
in reply to: #986696

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: South Carolina Half
keep your head up...you were a little critical of your overall. It sounded like you did the best you could for the day. Sounded like a good day to me.

2007-10-01 10:30 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Way to get out there and race it!  Take the lessons learned and do it wisely in FL.  I understand how hard it is to let those folks go in the bike, but do it right and stay within your zone on the run and it will pay dividends in PCB!!

2007-10-02 5:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
I can't believe that you were only 13 minutes off last year's time after the year you've had. You are being too hard on yourself. I am amazed that you could get out there and do it and do it well. You are truly an inspiration to keep going no matter what life throws at you. Can't wait to meet you and race with you in Florida. It will be great!
2007-10-02 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
It was just a long training day my friend.  Nothing more.  Look at where you were 4 months ago.  You have come a long way given your injury.  You will do great and have lot's of fun in Florida.  And fun is really what this is all about. 
2007-10-02 8:23 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
This was just a rehearsal for you. You raced this one smart and paid attention to your body. You will be rewarded in Florida for that. You're gonna be like the 6 million dollar man, faster, better, stronger! You are not at peak performance yet and you don't want to be. Let's see, I predict that on November 3, you will be at the height of your fitness for the year! Now go and kick butt in Florida!

Pam

2007-10-02 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia
Nice training event.  You will do fine in the IMFL.
2007-10-02 8:34 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Look at it this way.....if you double your SC HIM time 6:08x2 and add 1 hour (this is the old wives tale formula to predict your IM time) that gives you a 13:16 finish time (which is 1:15 better than I did at IMLOU) so stop the pity party and get your rear end in gear.

(Feel motivated yet?)

2007-10-02 11:06 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Just a hiccup or two this season?  I think your race was phenomenol.  You still have plenty of time to peak for Florida...and you will. 
2007-10-02 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

It's so unfair to compare one race against another.  Different course, different conditions.   Riding on rough roads can be very tiring.  You did awesome considering all you've been through this past year.  Keep up the training, stay injury free, and I think you will have an great race in Florida.

Steve

2007-10-02 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Nice RR, Brian...man, I felt your pain, but like I said:  You've come a long way; you're doing great.  Admire the constraints you tried to keep on yourself for this one.  It'll pay off in FL!

Keep up the great work!

2007-10-02 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
You had a great race for just a tune up. Thanks for all the encouragement out there. If you were struggling, I could not tell. Any way you sum it up, you got this distance nailed down.
2007-10-02 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Sounds like a great training day to me! I am still amazed on how far you have come from such a major injury, you have fought back like a champ and your race reflected your progress. You might not be quite 100% yet, but you're getting closer with each training day - and you still have even more time before your big event. Congratulations on a great race - you did awesome!!

2007-10-02 7:08 PM

User image

sounds like a great day to me...every race can't be a pr. and, given all the conditions, i think you did fabulous! congrats!
2007-10-03 7:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
you're being too hard on yourself.... well done !!
2007-10-03 7:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA
Nice race! You did not look wiped to me on the run course. Glad to have you out there! Good luck at IMFL.

2007-10-03 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

The tough races make us stronger and help us enjoy our great races.

We are all our worst critics. I think your times were great BTW! And your determination to stick to your plan, while it may not feel like it, really shows how strong you are.

2007-10-03 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Brian, you had a great race!  You've been through a lot this year and just doing a HIM and IM FL this year is amazing!  It sounds like you know how you need to race next month and you're going to make sure that happens.  It was great seeing you out on the course and you looked strong the whole run.  Plus, you and Kraig should have a NICE finish picture!
2007-10-05 10:47 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

It looks like I need one of my itemized lists:

1.  Congratulations.  I am amazed that despite all that you've been through over the past several months you still decided to finish out the season and keep IMFL on you schedule.

2.  I don't think this predicts performance... I think it improves it.  Every training day and every race teaches us a thing or two.  If it doesn't, we probably didn't put forth our best efforts.  You had a good race but more importantly, you figured out a few things that you need to do for IMFL.  Therefore, in my book, it's a success.

3.  You stopped twice on the bike and still had that split?!  Nice!  BTW, you are worthy of that bike so g'head and pee on it all you want .

4.  I'm still stuck on the Schlitz thing...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carolina Half Rss Feed