United States
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The ride was only a 20 minute drive from my house and check-in did not start until 9am, so this morning I just threw together my cycling gear, loaded up my new bike and drove down to the start.

Since I had not pre-registered for the ride, I got there right at 9:00, even though the ride did not start until 10:00. Fortunately though, that gave me some time to ride around the parking lot, where I discovered that the nose of my saddle was a bit too high. They had a mechanics tent from my local LBS (where I bought the bike) so I had them adjust the seat until it was comfortable. After that I met up with two co-workers who were also riding, and we waited for the start.
Bike
  • 1h 45m 49s
  • 30.15 miles
  • 17.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Since today was the first ride on my new bike since picking it up, there were a few issues that needed to be worked out. First, after a few miles I noticed that my handlebars had rotated downwards because they were loose where the base bar meets the stem. But, I just pulled over to the side and tightened things up and I was fine. I also found that it's going to take a bit of time to get used to the gearing on this bike (2x10 instead of 3x8 on my old bike) so my gear changes were not as smooth as they could be. I did not drink quite as much as I usually would, perhaps because I have not yet moved my aero bottle to the new bike. Lastly, I found that my position on this bike is a bit more aggressive than on the old bike. It's biomechanically correct, but it may take a bit of time to get used to.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to spend more time on the new bike to get as comfortable on it as I am on my other bikes.
Post race
Warm down:

After the ride I had lunch with the one co-worker that I rode with, and we hung out for a while chatting. He has done IMLP before and is doing it next year, so we talked for a while about fitting IM training around busy work schedules. After that I packed up my gear and headed home.

Event comments:

Overall this was a fun ride, and best of all it was a great opportunity to do a fully-supported "shakedown ride" on my new bike.

Last updated: 2007-10-05 12:00 AM
Biking
01:45:49 | 30.15 miles | 17.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The course was a figure-eight loop through a number of suburban towns, mostly on quiet back roads. Some of the roads were rough in sections and there was one section of construction, but mostly the roads were in decent condition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right