General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 49s
Overall Rank = 74/356 F
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/75
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00, headed out by 5:45, arrived in the area of the race site at 6:15. Took us 15 minutes to get through the line to park. Unfortunately, our car was directed onto a tree stump, so it took another 10 minutes to get the car off and really get parked. Fortunately, no real damage was done to the underside of the car, but it sure made some horrible crunching sounds as the sheriff directed us on how to get off of it. I barely had enough time to ride the bike to check the gears, get my transition set up, run the course through transitions. Then I found David and waited the hour before my start.
Event warmup:

Not much time to warmup. I got to check out the bike, but not real riding. I also skipped the swim warmup as it would be an hour before my start. I did run some before we were kicked out of transition, but I didn't have shoes after that to stay warm. Fortunately, the air wasn't cold, so I never really got cool. I did do a dry-land warm-up for my arms and swam to the buoy to get loose.
Swim
  • 17m 9s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start of the swim has tons of growth to swim through. Yuk. My first few strokes seemed like "lazy strokes", but I quickly got my mind in the game and focused on pushing the back of the stroke. I then felt much better about my progress. I made good tracks toward the first buoy and negotiated around all the breaststrokers. I even took a kick right in the nose! I had trouble getting started after the first buoy because I couldn't find the next landmark, but I finally spotted it and got going. I actually found some people to draft off and felt like I swam fairly straight until I rounded the last buoy. AFter that, I know I got off course to the right two times, but I corrected and kept going. This was by far my best open-water swim in some time. I felt strong and stayed on course.

Met my goal of 17:20!
What would you do differently?:

Draft better. Stop worrying about the direction of the next buoy and just stick with the traffic.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Walked some up that steep hill out of the water so my HR didn't soar. Found my bike quickly and had some trouble keeping my feet somewhat clean into the socks. A little balance issue caused me to drop my helmet into the water. Fixed is quickly and got on my way.

Leave a little more standing room on my towell to get the socks on.
Bike
  • 40m 6s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on bike and off quickly. Felt strong most of the way. I passed tons of people. Those international bikes did zip past me, but I felt very few sprinters passed me, though. I felt I managed the gears well on the hills and stayed in the aero bars. The steep hill after one of the right turns was bigger than I remembered, but I got up. Many were walking their bikes! And those last two hills were just as I remembered--tough! I also wished there was more spin time into transition. You come up a hill and then have to get off. It left my HR high and gave me awful brick legts. I also think this course is closer to 11.2 than 12 miles though.

Met my goal of 40:00!

Work more hills at home. I still get passed going uphill. I traded places with one woman several times because she was better at the hills. Heck, I think a talented mountain biker even passed me on a hill!
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Terrific T2. Racked well, switched shoes quickly, grabbed hat and belt and took off. Bad brick legs, though!

Start the watch to register the footpod inside transition. It took a couple tries, and I was on the course before it registered.
Run
  • 29m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't get my watch to register the distance until about .1 mile in, so I was off on my pace for the first mile. I thought it was close to 10:00, but I was actually much better. So, I thought I wasn't going to make my 30:00 goal the whole way, but I really came in with 6 seconds to spare! I had bad brick legs, but I worked through those. I felt very strong for the first half and then had to work through some tough spots after that big hill. I also reached the puke point too soon. I was gagging as I ran past the 3 mile marker!!

lap dist pace HR cad stride
L1 1.1 09:01 184 85 3ft 2in
L2 1.0 10:03 187 84 3ft 1in
L3 1.0 09:54 189 83 3ft 1in

Met my goal of 30:00!!

Know where the hills are better. That last one really caught me by surprise and about did me in. More speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and tried drank from my new water bottle. Grabbed a burrito and enjoyed the festivities, especially the Amy's Ice Cream. I was not able to get in for a massage since I was one of the last waves to start.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just more time to get better.

Event comments:

Thoroughly enjoyed the event. Terrific race organizers. Volunteers were great. Course was well marked, and there were plenty of aid stations. Announcers were great. Expo was a little far to be fully enjoyed, but we covered that at packet pickup.

Last updated: 2007-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:09 | 805 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 27/75
Overall: 150/356 F
Performance: Good
No HR in water.
Suit: Tri Suit only
Course: Clockwise, sharp triangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:06 | 12 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/75
Overall: 74/356 F
Avg 183; Max 196
Wind: Little
Course: A single right handed loop around the lake. Mostly gradual uphills, but one steep uphill after a turn and two long, big hills near the end.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:54 | 03.1 miles | 09m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/75
Overall: 83/356 F
Avg HR 187, cadence 83, stride 3ft 2in
Course: Windy course though the park. Started with a big downhill and then a big uphill. Then it wounded some, had another uphill and then back down. The worse part was the last .2 mile at the end. Around the corner and then uphill! Sponges were available as well as several water stations.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-08 10:13 PM

User image

Plano, TX
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint

2007-10-08 10:23 PM
in reply to: #997816

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint

Congrats on meeting all your goals. You looked really strong on the course.

2007-10-09 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Great race!  You looked really strong coming in and out of transitions.  Good job meeting all your goals too.

Congrats!

2007-10-09 6:19 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Sounds like you had a great race!!!
2007-10-09 9:35 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Nice work Beth! Good seeing you guys as always, and I'll see you again this weekend!
2007-10-09 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Nice to meet you at dinner on Saturday night. I am just now putting it together that you were the one with my matching top at Texas Man! All this avatar matching up to names gets a little confusing. Great race on Saturday, you were super speedy on those hills.

2007-10-10 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats on a super race!!

You reached the puke point on the run but continued..showed you work hard.

Excellent job! 

2007-10-10 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Awesome race, hon'!!  Glad you had such a good time and got to finish the season out with a command performance.
2007-10-10 11:00 AM
in reply to: #999997

User image

Plano, TX

I don't think the course was really 12 miles, but it wasn't at Danskin in 2005 either, which was my comparison point.  I think my bike speed was really more like 16.8 this time, but I left it as indicated in the official results.  It makes it hard to compare to all of you superstars on the half, though, as your distance and speed was probably more accurate. 

In 2005, my official speed on this same course was 16.2.  So, I was excited that I had improved so much--from 16.2 to 18.0.  Even if the 12 mi distance isn't correct, the yard stick is the same.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed