General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
hotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 05m 37s
Overall Rank = ??/??
Age Group = clydes baby
Age Group Rank = 0/??
Pre-race routine:

My prep for the days leading up to this sucked.. I was out late friday night, didn't eat much friday or sat.

I got up early,, bagel & Peanut Butter..and a low carb monster to get the pulse racing up to 65ish.. I might need to add more since I'm eating about 2 1/2 -3 hrs before the event start.. Asked Clint how Gina did.. was really pumped up to hear the great news. then proceded to get lost going to the event site, I actually was on the right road but went a different way the day before so I was a bit nervous.. Clint called since they wouldn't let him in the room and he got me back on track.. My pulse was a rocking 75 during this ordeal..
Event warmup:

It was different for me since the bike was checked in the day before I kept thinking I was forgetting something, did a quick 5 min run and short swim just to get my body moving. Mostly I hung out, talked with people and enjoyed the moment..plus sunscreen,
how long was I out on the course??? with a funkie beat my friends " since prince was on apollonia !!!! longer than OJ was in isotoners!! "
Swim
  • 47m 2s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

during the start I keep an eye out for the guy I was laughing at and making fun of that tripped on the boat ramp saturday.. just in case...I ended up swimming more just since I was zig-zaging,,, I really wanted to have an easy swim [45min] and do my best attempt at drafting,, it seems that everyone I got behind either stopped to site or take a break as soon as I got on them or were slower than I wanted to go so I ended up dropping my hips to stay with them.. for now I think I'm better off just going out and swimming. I didn't site really well but I think a lot of people had the same issue. There were always people to my right and when I'd breath on the left there would be people there also.. plus I was t-boning people from each side,??? don't know how?? when I just went on my own and swam I sighted better, and was a more relaxed swimmer,, I decided to take a short break just to check my HR, which was fine.. my tritop must not fit correctly since I could feel it rubbing on my right underarm so I had to keep attempting to pull it down
What would you do differently?:

until I learn to draft, I just need to swim and not look for people, just take them as they pass me for quick burst. considering for the whole plan I was doing I skipped 15hrs of swimming not bad.
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

took my time walking up the hill to transition.. foreshadowing of the days events.. I felt pretty good,, I thought I saw ??bill?? helping people out of the water.. thanks Bill. got some sunscreen on, socks on, and double checked to make sure my food was still in the bento box.. got going on the bike pretty well I just had an issue getting my right foot in the shoe once I got moving

slow jog out of the water, not wear socks and make an attempt to go faster. I just didn't want to forget anything,my plan was to take a bit longer to make sure everything was ok.
Bike
  • 3h 26m 38s
  • 56.8 miles
  • 16.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I was thinking I'd do this right around 3 1/2 hrs so I hit that pretty good,, I think I could have pushed harder but I knew there were a couple of hills at the end so I wanted to save something.. For me this was a great bike ride.. I did really well and the rolling stuff, well for most of them. the couple little uphills right after the right turns I slowed too much, but a few of them I had a great downhill and was up to get uphill without too much effort. I hit 42 on the one downhill which was great.. saw a guy on a Mtn bike and found out later they gave him a road bike for the rest of the course. I didn't take in enough calories though.. I would be ready to eat something then would either hit a turn or uphill and forget for about 15 mins to ate.. I thought I downed 2 cliff bars and a bag of shot blocks but later found 1/2 a cliff bar and I only had 1/2 the cliff blocks.

I need to raise the aero bars some, too much of a drop and I ended up with a stiff neck from my position.. But for my ability level and my training times this was right where I should have been time wise.. I might have been able to push my avg to mid 17's but since this was my first half iron I was a bit too conservative. increase my calories on the bike and make sure I take it all, jump in the couple of pace lines that passed me maybe but then again maybe not
Transition 2
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

pretty good transition.. sprayed some more sunscreen, but my gel's in the shirt pocket and set off for the port-a-potty, so I know I was hydrated enough which I was worried about

not much I was feeling ok, just needed to go #1, and was looking for those port-a-john's
Run
  • 2h 44m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I really thought i'd do better on the run,, got a water and gatoraid out of t2, then ran into the bathroom, my legs felt really good not rubbery so I knew I didn't overpush on the bike, my first mile was right at 10:15 so I was doing good then all of a sudden boom,, killer headache that I just couldn't get past.. I forgot that when I forget to eat I get headaches, I didn't realize I was "bonking" until it was too late,, started a walk/run combo that was a lot more walking. this course had a lot of uphills and downhills, downhills hurt more to me, and well uphills just suck.. My HR never really got over 150 except for a couple of hills.. about mile 3 I realized I needed something for my headache, and I was thankfull the aid station had something, then I realized I really needed to eat, so I started taking at least 2 gels at each stop along with extra water since i was worried about the NAIDs effect. it was hot,,I had nothing in the tank, i walked,, what was great was seeing everyone out on the course and being able to cheer for them.. I won't mention everyone since this would be a very long RR. but you guys really pulled me through, after my first lap of 90+ minutes I realized that I wasn't hitting my 2 1/2 goal so I decided to have some fun.. I offered piggy back rides to all the cute girls, accused one of stalking me since we were playing leap frog. saw how long I could keep a cup of water on my head. just before the big grass hill Ashley I heard someone yelling my name.. fearing the no fun police were out there I turned to see ashley,, we jogged a bit,, walked the hill some, then I ate her dust as she took off.. the second loop I started to come to life some I just did an easy 10min run one min walk. Tossed a sponge at Aaron who actually caught the deed on film. !! right at the end I caught up to karen who was doing her hair and asked if I had any eyeliner for her finishing photo.. she was gracious enough to let me go ahead of her to announce to the gathered masses that she would be arriving

Hey I felt like crap for the first loop and still had lots of fun..Eat more on the bike,, train more,, Hey I got my first HIM done. last Aug I had a chest tube sticking out of my side and it hurt to breath,, I'm corking happy about this !!!!
Post race
Warm down:

hung out with everyone else, now know as the usual suspects.watched the others finished,,, attempted to get a betting pool going on the next injury for clint. and cheer for everyone coming across the line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my budda belly,& lack of any speed training this year,
I really think if I had some sweet race wheels and saved my legs, I could have cut almost a full minute off my time

Event comments:

I was hoping for a 45 min swim, 3.5 bike and 2.5 run for something in the 6hr 45 min range or at least under 7hr.. I'll take this though. For my first half and just starting training this year in january I know there is no race day magic that will make me faster I finished in a time that matched my training,learned a lot, got to meet my fellow BTs.
This race was fantastic,, after gettting home and reading about the chicago marathon mess, I am so thankfull that this one was so well run. I'm in for lonestar and will hopefully be able to do at least one of Keith races a year for a while.. it was that great

Last updated: 2007-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:02 | 1931 meters | 02m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/??
Overall: 0/??
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri top and shorts
Course: big triangle type course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 95F / 35C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:26:38 | 56.8 miles | 16.49 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:44:00 | 13.1 miles | 12m 31s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: uphill, downhill, either in the sun on concrete or trail running.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-09 8:31 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2007-10-09 9:00 PM
in reply to: #999813

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
From chest tube man to Half Ironman. That is pretty damn good. It was great to enjoy the experience with you. Now you just need to get in touch with Tyra Banks for the "Next Top Triathlete Model" show.
2007-10-09 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Awesome job on your first HIM Gary! You suffered and endured and never lost your sense of humor. Great Race Report too.

Having fun while testing your limits - that's what its about for most of us (of course the glory and financial rewards would be great too if we were in that category)!
2007-10-09 9:48 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Gary... YOU DID A WONDERFUL JOB! Congratulations on becoming a Half Ironman!

Yea, I think the run course got a lot of people out there. It was a ROUGH course. The key is staying mentally positive about a shift in race plans... and you did that. But, would we expect anything less?

Oh... thanks for gathering the masses for my finish... I appreciate it.

It was great seeing out on the course. I can't say I remember all the details from mile 9 to 13... but I do recall us talking some... about what... who knows. HA!

Well, next stop... me cheering you across the finish line at IMAZ 08!!!!
2007-10-09 9:49 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Heh.... yeah that was me. Nice work man. That's a tough course!
2007-10-09 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Great job on your first HIM! I really love your humor out on the course and on the BT site, so what is your goal pace for the White Rock? I am thinking about running it as my first marathon and I really need some comedic relief on the course.

2007-10-09 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Gary, you did awesome for your first HIM.  I didn't know that you just started tris this January!  To complete a HIM in your first year of triathlon is incredible.  You should be really proud.  You have a great attitude towards the sport too.  Keep it up!
2007-10-10 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Great race report!!! Congrats on finishing your first HIM in some really tough conditions, sounds like you had a great time out there!!! It was definetly a great race with awesome volunteers, and very well thought out!!! Again congrats on your first HIM!!!!!
2007-10-10 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Way to go on getting it done and having fun! Once I realized I wouldn't come in under 7, but that I would finish, I did the same thing. I just enjoyed being out there. And looking at the pictures my family took, you can tell. Maybe I had too much fun. Good luck on your upcoming marathon.
2007-10-10 10:10 AM
in reply to: #999955

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
KSH - 2007-10-09 9:48 PM

Well, next stop... me cheering you across the finish line at IMAZ 08!!!!

CORRECTION!

IMKY 08!!!!

Sorry!
2007-10-10 10:13 AM

It seems like it would be hard to be that funny when you're so tired. Great job!

2007-10-10 11:07 AM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
great job on your first HIM and i bet it was extra special knowing where you were a year ago. keep up the training and work on that nutrition and you will PR everytime!!! congrats on your finish.
2007-10-10 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Congrats, Gary!  You did fantastic on your first HIM, and it was a tough course, to boot!
2007-10-10 7:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Man was I glad to see a familiar face for that last uphill!!!  Thanks for making such a brutal part of the course a bit fun   You did awesome, and you should be very proud!
2007-10-10 10:10 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

You are such a pimp daddy!  Picking up girls on the run...    And I'm glad you avoided that guy who slipped Saturday.  He looked pretty mean.

Thanks for sharing a room.  Great race!  It's always a good day when I see you on the race course.

Congrats!

2007-10-11 5:36 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great job on your first HIM.  Having a positive attitude is important in all races.  You did that. 

TJ

2007-10-11 11:46 AM

User image

, Texas
Congrats on the HIM.

But you left out the most important detail: How long could you keep a cup of water on your head
2007-10-12 1:46 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Congratulations!!!! Sounds like you had a great attitude and really enjoyed the experience Great RR!
2007-10-12 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
GGGRRRREEEEAAAATTTT JJJJJJOOOOOBBBBBB Gaaarrrryyyy! You should be very proud of yourself! I had no idea you had a chest tube in a year ago?!? And just look at you now...a Half Ironman and all!

mmmmm...pace line on the bike? I must have missed that one.

See you at White Rock (I think)!
2007-10-14 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
So I'm away on holidays and you did HIM? Congratulations!!! Great job, my turn next year!
2007-10-15 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Great job, Gary! It was nice meeting you!

2007-10-24 1:00 AM

Veteran
The Colony, Texas, USA, Earth
Kudos to you Gary! If I had known you were doing your HIM, I would have been there to root you on. Hearing your "bonk" episode has given me some encouragement for him HIM (PlayTri Festival April 08)...so that if I hit the wall...I will look fondly back on your ordeal...you just need to tell me how long you kept the cup on your head so I have something to shoot for while I'll walking the last 12 miles HA HA.

I heard you were at the Toyota US Open...thanks for being there...not sure if you saw or heard me "sprint" to the finish....it was my first Oly.

We definately need to get in a bike group. I'm tired of riding my trainer and watching the DVD that came with it. The girls are not getting any cuter and the guys just don't do it for me like the first 10 times I watched the video. lol

call me...we'll do lunch.. :-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed