General Discussion Race Reports! » Lair O' The Bear Trail Race - PODIUM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lair O' The Bear Trail Race - PODIUM - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log
Idledale, Colorado
United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 43s
Overall Rank = 1/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up nice and early, made a cup of coffee, showered, drove out to Idledale and registered up for the race. Ran into Dills right away and soon after Regimom, Juliapurr, swgtri, skarl and chrisp. I was there early by my standards so I had time to swill a coffee and a Red Bull and enjoy the crisp morning.
Event warmup:

Ran about 400 meters with Mark.
Run
  • 1h 09m 43s
  • 10 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I was confident that I could run this course well. I have run it dozens of times over the last 4 years and as recently as Wednesday of this past week. Still I was uncertain about how fast I would be able to go because this race was a "train through" event and I ran 11 miles the day before and I had not had a rest day in a long time. Over all though, I felt good.

As the race begun, some guy rushed to the front and took off. I was tempted to just let him go and run the race that I had pre-planned... Instead though, I fell in right behind him and tried to get a feel for him... his breathing was a lot harder than mine and I decided to test him. The first mile and half is pretty flat with only a slight incline. I pushed past him and upped the pace to see how he would respond... he stayed right on my heels but his breathing was LOUD. I thought this guy can't hold this once we turn into the first steep climb... I also wondered whether or not I could hold the pace. The first climb is long and very steep in places. I didn't think that I was pushing hard but at one of the early switchbacks I looked behind me to see that I had opened up a small lead. My breathing felt good at this point and I was able to take fairly long strides on this ascent. When I got to the top of this climb, I looked at my watch (19:55) and I was stoked. On my run out here on Wednesday I hit the same spot at 24:15 and ran what I thought was a PB for this route. I knew then that I was putting the hurt on the guys behind me and that even though I was only at like the 2.5 mile mark, it would be difficult for anyone to close in on me. The next section is downhill for the most part and I completely opened up. I felt great as I headed into a series of rolling hills... looked back at a certain point and I couldn't see anyone... The turn-around is on top of a very steep ascent. I ran this ascent hard and my HR was up in the 165 range here... I didn't feel like I was moving very fast thankfully, I then I saw the turn around. I got there in about 36 minutes (33 minutes back)! Just over 7 minute’s a mile. Not bad for such a difficult course.

My confidence was soaring now... I charged this downhill to try and open up the lead and convince the guys behind me that this was now a race for second place...

As I approached the second place guy; I noticed he was completely foaming at the mouth. Race over and I haven't even hit the 6th mile yet... I certainly didn't feel the way this guy looked (at least I hoped to look better than that)! Right behind him was a very svelte looking athlete who was being chased by Mark Dillard. I wondered if Mark could catch him. Actually though, I worried that this guy might have some big finish in store for me and that he would at the very least pass Mr. Frosty Lips... Mark looked really smooth as ALWAYS... Pretty soon I saw the first girl... not far behind her was Julia and she was looking great too! BT athletes are good lookin' and FAST... As I was cruising through the rollers I saw Linda running farther than she ever had before and looking long and lean and amazingly fresh... Before long I was to the base of the backside of the first climb... The race would be officially over once I got to the top of this climb because the last 2.5 miles would be downhill and I intended to finish hard and fast... Soon enough I crested this last climb and I was off! I bounced off rocks and dodged obstacles and totally loved my single track descent to the finish!

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I ran really well.

I would have liked to have known that I had a chance to break the course record. I missed doing so by only 3 minutes, but even if I had known what the course record was, I wouldn't have considered being in anyway capable of coming close to that time. So yeah, nothing, but it is fun to dream about what could have been.
Post race
Warm down:

toweled the sweat off me, changed shirts and threw on a pair of sweat pants and watched everyone finish.

Including Mark who couldn't quite catch the 3rd place guy, but ran a fabulous race anyway...
And Julia who ended up catching the girl in front of her and gave BT as 1st place sweep at the Lair.
And Linda, completed her first 10 mile race, amazingly too, sweat-less!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The only thing that limited me to run any faster was not having a serious contender... I led from start to finish and never felt threatened.

Event comments:

Great race! I was planning to run the Denver Half Marathon on Sunday but I'm glad I chose this instead. The weather on Saturday was 100% better and there is something great about running on the dirt...

Last updated: 2007-10-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:09:43 | 10 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/
Performance: Good
AVG HR 156, MAX HR 167
Course: Rolling semi-technical out and back trail run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-15 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: Lair O' The Bear Trail Race - PODIUM

2007-10-15 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1008259

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: Lair O' The Bear Trail Race - PODIUM
Awesome.  I can't get over how comfortable, natural and FAST you looked when you passed me.  You are crazy strong!  Nice race champ!
2007-10-15 11:43 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Entertaining report as always!  Congrats on a most excellent race!
2007-10-15 1:49 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, CT
Great race as usual!  I like the part about the guy foaming at the mouth.  You really hammered that course.  Nice job.
2007-10-15 2:34 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Nice race stud! You da man!
2007-10-15 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Good job.  You rocked.  P.S. I hate fast runners like you.   Just kidding.  I'd have loved to have seen this race.  You vs Dills.

2007-10-15 3:49 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Maybe that guy had rabies - the silent killer. No wait, the barking, foaming killer. Maybe one of these days you will get lucky and have some actual competition to push you!
2007-10-16 9:03 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Nice race, Richard! How'd Ramone do? Did he win his AG?

Its gonna be really fun to see you and LaLa duel it out on this course on April 1st.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lair O' The Bear Trail Race - PODIUM Rss Feed