Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-11-26 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1010725

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: San Dimas Turkey Tri

I noticed the screwy results too. The times were based on the original and untrue distances. Plus, there is NO WAY the swim was a half mile. That would mean that the winner of our AG went 1:49 per 100 and that didn't happen. I wish someone had a Garmin on to tell us what the actual swim distance was. Since swimming in the only event I ever do well in, I like to know.

Also, the email told us that the water was going to be 64 degrees. Anyone else think it was in the fifties? I've trained and raced in water as low as 60 degrees and there is no way that water was. I gotta admit...I feel lied to. All the distances were reported as shorter than they were and the water was reported as warmer than it was. Do you think that was all a big accident, or were they trying to make it sound like a milder race than it was to get sign ups? Just wondering.

But, best part of the results is that...I WASN'T DFL!!! I wasn't even second to last. Third to last baby! Woo hoo! That makes me feel a little better. I wished on the run I had known that there were two people still behind me. Once I thought I was DFL, injury or no, I got discouraged. So, big ole lesson from this tri...it ain't over till it's over and you never know your place, so don't even worry about it!

2007-11-26 4:10 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Jocelyn. Why don't you contact the RD and voice your concerns and question to see what type of response you get? I have no tri experience, but I think if I were in your shoes I'd feel put out as well. It's not like the RD was inexperienced.

Edited by MrsUSMC 2007-11-26 4:10 PM
2007-11-26 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1068752

User image

Veteran
San Diego
sealiongirl - 2007-11-26 2:04 PM
Anyone else think it was in the fifties?

Now granted I had a full suit on, I didn't actually think it was overly cold. In fact, my feet "felt" warmer in the water than when I got out of the water and was walking on the sand.

Its definitely possible it was in the 50's though. I did feel bad for everyone with shorties on, or even those crazy kids with no wet suits on at all. It definitely was cold enough to have sucked the warmth right out of you through your arms in no time.
2007-11-26 6:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey gang!

Great posts and information! Well I can say that the organization of the race is about par for the course (no pun intended....) The race organizers are the same group that organizes the LA Triathlon Series (Sprint and Olympic) in April, May and June along with the Steamboat event in September. After the 25 years, they just never have gotten it right like some of the more professionally run triathlons.......this is essentially a volunteer organization with the exception of the few paid staff members. Distances at that park have all been a little squirrely.

Despite the organization issues, I actually use the triathlon series as warm-up (C and D races) to practice and focus on specific aspects of a race. I might focus on transitions one race, the run on another race, a swim on another race depending upon where my weakness(es) lay!

Don't be discouraged about your times or cramping.....the conditions may have contributed to a poorer performance or you were just not clicking.....it happens....the key is to go out and have fun!

Somebody (Modie?) posted about swimming with your legs.......can I share? I use my legs for the first 100 yards or so and then the last 100 yards before getting out of the water to get blood flowing back in the legs. I save my legs for the bike and run. I'm not a fast swimmer, but I posted 33 minutes in a 1 1/4 mile segment of a half-ironman this summer using this strategy. There are several strategies you can use, but this is exactly what I use this venue for....testing different strategies until I find the right one that works for me!

Hope this helps.......

Rich
[email protected]

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » San Dimas Turkey Tri Rss Feed  

of 3