General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
LifeTime Fitness
61F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 18m 51s
Overall Rank = 80/113
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up a little after 4AM. Everything was already in the car, so we ate some oatmeal, got dressed, and left by 4:35. Arrived at Reunion Arena 25 minutes later. We placed our stuff in T2 by our number. I got to use the bring obnoxious wired flower to mark my spot for the first time. Alexa had named him Moses! Ha! We caught the next shuttle to T1 and set up the rest of our stuff there. Our bikes had been checked in the day before. All things went smoothly, but it was much cooler near the water than I had anticipated.
Event warmup:

Just tried to stay warm on shore. Could not bike as they wouldn't let the bikes out, wasn't that interested in running, and much too cold air to warm up in the water and get cold again. I put my wetsuit on with 45 minutes before my start to get warm.
Swim
  • 36m 58s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim was just so-so. I was off course a fair amount. I even had to push off of a pylon and actually smacked a buoy. The water was warmer out further, which was annoying in the wetsuit, and the water was very choppy out there as well. The buoys were hard to see on the return. I caught a few people to draft off as they passed, but not until the first big right-handed turn. I was disapointed with my time, but I do think the course was a little long based on other people's times.
What would you do differently?:

Find more open-water swim practice.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Bagging everything up took extra time. Almost forgot to pack the towel. I seemed to be a little slow, but I didn't want anything left behind. Forgot to have the watch look for the HR strap in transition, so I had to do it on the bike.

Practice more with the wetsuit removal. Get that darned watch set in transition! I have messed this up twice now.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 3s
  • 24.1 miles
  • 16.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I was timid on the new tri bicycle with the extreme aero position and new shifting. The wind was a stong headwind, going uphill at the start. I was going 10-11 mph, so that didn't help my confidence at all. There were more hills than I expected, and the wind had me intimidated. It was getting better for me when we changed directions some, but then I encounted other setbacks. I witnessed a horrible auto-bike accident where a girl was thown from the bike and very injured. I was also heading downhill into a busy intersection, and the police almost didn't get the cars stopped. I had to brake to stay safe. The roads in this section also had more cracks, irregular pavement, and manhole covers to watch out for. All of these made me more cautious, slow down some, and be less aggressive. I even had about 3 big downhills where the speed in my new aero position made me nervous. I am embarrassed to say I braked!! I was also too nervous to reach for my lower water bottles. At least I can say, I learned a lot on the new bike, and it arrived safely in transition with no scratches.

Max speed was 30mph. It could have been much higher on those big downhills!

More practice on the bike. I just wasn't confident enough with the new positioning and gearing. In short, I was a weanie!
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Ran in with the bike, found the spot easily because of Moses, the flower. Changed my shoes, ditched the helmet, and took a swig of Accelerade from the bike since I didn't do it while I rode. Grabbed the race belt and hat and ran for the exit.

Have more confidence to drink on the bike so I didn't need to do it in T2.
Run
  • 1h 21m
  • 6.48 miles
  • 12m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started stupendous! I found a pacing buddy, and we were going at 9:25 minutes, comfortably!!! We were chatting the whole way. Unfortunately, my knee started hurting around mile 2.5, but I was able to run on it until about mile 3.8 where it seized up. I then had to walk-run the rest, but David had come back to "run" with me for the remainder. I sent my pacing buddy on to have a terrific run without me.

lap dist pace HR cad stride
L1 1.05 09:20 173 85 3ft 4in
L2 1.00 09:27 175 84 3ft 4in
L3 1.00 09:05 177 83 3ft 6in
L4 1.00 10:34 177 77 3ft 3in
L5 1.00 13:06 162 70 2ft 10in
L6 1.00 14:14 152 67 2ft 9in
L7 0.42 12:20 159 75 2ft 9in

Build even more mileage, in combination with biking to build my knee up even more. I am also getting my knee checked out and probably an MRI to rule out any increasing damage.
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately went to the medical tent for ice on the knee. They wrapped it on, and it made a big difference. We also checked out all the booths, and I got an extensive massage in the Accelerade booth.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More open water swim practice, more time on the new bike, more mileage on the poor knee.

Event comments:

Logistics went far smoother than I expected. Incredible number of volunteers and traffic controllers on the bike course. Fantastic post- race activities. It was also interesting to have so many pros present, but I really never saw them.

Last updated: 2007-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:58 | 1500 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/19
Overall: 68/113
Performance: Below average
Suit: XTerra Vortex Full
Course: Weird right handed hockey stick.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:08
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:26:03 | 24.1 miles | 16.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 74/113
Avg 172; max 185
Wind: Strong
Course: Point-to-point from Joe Pool Lake to downtown Dallas. Mostly East and then mostly North. Significant rolling hills the whole way.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:21:00 | 06.48 miles | 12m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/19
Overall: 95/113
Performance: Bad
see below for breakout
Course: Winding course through Downtown Dallas. A few slopes but mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-16 10:42 PM

User image

Plano, TX
Subject: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic

2007-10-17 8:32 AM
in reply to: #1011392

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic
Some of the hills were nerve racking with the condition of the roads.

Good race.
2007-10-17 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Plano, Texas
Congrats on a nice race. Hope your knee is okay.

Has anyone heard anything more about how the two (?) folks involved in bike incidents are faring? Or anymore info on how the incidents happened? Hope they're alright as well.
2007-10-17 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Nice race!  Hopefully you can find your comfort zone on the new bike soon.  Going fast in aero is the best part of triathlons! 

Congrats!

2007-10-20 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Nice race, Beth.  Don't sweat the bike speed.  You'll become more comfortable with experience.  I have to admit I braked once or twice here and there. 

Thanks for the Excel of the race results.

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed