General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help with 1/2 IM training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-19 11:22 AM

Veteran
Subject: help with 1/2 IM training
Hi,

I am planning on doing a 1/2 Ironman next year. i have been looking at many books, schedules but i am unable to find the right way for my training.

At the moment I am doing sessions like 1h30 turbo riding or 1h30 running 5 to 6 times a week and one weights session. i am not swimming but i will be starting in December.

The problem i find when checking the books is that I would have to start from scratch and cut down the sessions to short easy sessions. I would lose all the fitness I have aquired if I follow these plans.

So... what should i do?

thank you

2007-10-19 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1015616

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Subject: RE: help with 1/2 IM training
Have you thought about combining plans? I have done this with my Winter plan, I am strong on the bike, but lacking in the swim/run, so I am doing bike workouts that are more geared to Oly/HIM training and my swim workouts are more like sprint right now.
2007-10-19 2:12 PM

Veteran
great idea mnultraguy.

thank you very much!
2007-10-19 11:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale, Mi
I used the BT HIM training and loved it. I really used it for determining the minimums that I needed to hit. You can always do more than what is intended, except be careful during the taper (which is so important).
2007-10-20 12:19 AM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
I had the same problem when I started the (run-focused) 16-week Oly plan here on BT. I had trained all summer and found that my volume was already much higher than what was asked for at the beginning of the Oly plan.

So, confident as I was, I upped all the sessions by 20%. That worked fine for the first 2 months but then I got sick because of stress at work and, yes, overtraining. I should have just stuck with what the plan called for in the beginning and considered the first few weeks' lower volume as a kind of "recovery" from my summer training. I'd still be at the same point I'm at now: in the last three weeks of the plan. After I was sick I never got back to the plus 20% range because it was just too much.

So, you might want to look at the end of the plan, not the beginning to make sure it's right for you. Does it lead to where you want/need to be?

And then you can always up it a bit in terms of time or intensity and see if you can handle it.

2007-10-20 4:46 AM
in reply to: #1016734

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
SauseEnte - 2007-10-20 1:19 AM

So, you might want to look at the end of the plan, not the beginning to make sure it's right for you. Does it lead to where you want/need to be?

And then you can always up it a bit in terms of time or intensity and see if you can handle it.

X2, it's a long road ahead, nothing wrong with taking it easy at the beginning. It's how your feeling at the end that matters most.

With being a type A and having plans for HIM and possibly IM distance in the next year or two, it was hard to chill out after all the training I did through the year, but it was time for me to take it easy and I haven't done much in the last 10 days besides walk dogs. Heading off to the pool for an easy short swim this morning before heading to work with no concrete plans everyday, it's kinda nice not worrying about getting a work out in. I'll get back to doing more come Nov 1, but the real training won't begin until the new year for next years events, til then it's easy workouts just keep things moving.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help with 1/2 IM training Rss Feed