Greenville Track Club
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 26s
Overall Rank = 179/518
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up an hour late and did not know it. Our clock automatically fell back an hour but I did not know it would do that. Scarfed down scrambled eggs, some pizza and green tea.
Event warmup:

Jogged some and got worried about my L knee experiencing pain. I've been battling a knee issue for a week when a trainig run seemed to do me in. I was very worried I'd get stuck out 5-6 miles and have to limp the rest of the way in. I did some standing hip exercises.
Run
  • 1h 50m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first half marathon and it went great. I had knee problems between 9 and 11 miles and then the last mile and though I might have to walk but I was able to hold on. I slowed atmile 10 which helped me get through it, had it not been for that I would have been under 1:50. I was amazed at my later splits and very happy to break 2 hrs (my second goal, my first was to finish). Mentally, it was a breeze which was also a surprise. I could not be happier. My 5Ks are in the twenties so running 22:25 for the final 3.1 was awesome.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, first race of this distance and not specifically trained for except some runs of 9 and 12 miles. Next year I'll train for improving my time and add some speed work. I'll also start out faster if possible now that I know what I can run at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around wrapped in my foil wrapper. I felt like a real runner wearing that, at least it blocked the wind until I could get changed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

I've heard complaints about the organization about previous races and it sounds like they have the same problems. In the local paper they were very proud of the run and expected to get an A across the board in regards to it's organization. I heard they ran out of t-shirts. I know they ran out of subs after the 1/2 marathon-before the first marathoner crossed the line. Perhaps they put more out later but I did not hang around long enough to see. They did have bagels and bananas.

Last updated: 2007-10-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:26 | 13.1 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 179/518
Performance: Good
9:26,9:22, 8:58, 8:37, 8:58, 8:26, 8:19, 8:23, 8:03, 8:27, 7:37, 7:35, 7:24, 0:49. First 6 miles 53:48, second 6 miles 48:24
Course: Rolling, especially the middle third but nothing that I'd call steep.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?