2007-11-01 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1032366

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: RE: Best Upgrade for a TRI Bike -
snowriderinfl - 2007-10-31 7:12 PM

Since I am a newbie my .02 is probably worth, oh .00001. But here it goes.

After I put some miles on my bike I went back into the shop to have it re-fit (turns out the saddle was too far back and my knees were behind the spindle). Anyway, I was discussing this with the tech and the conversation turned to wheels.

His opinion was not to invest in aero wheels until I can average 24-25mph. He went on to say that any gains at lower speeds would not be great and when you take into account cross winds, aero wheels could hurt your time.

Disclaimer: the following was not in any shape or form my opinion or the opinion of anything related to me, other then that tech that did my fitting... yada yada yada

This is going to be harsh, but is absolutely not directed at you: The guy at the bike shop is a complete moron.

First, the location of your knee in relation to the spindle doesn't mean a damn thing, especially on a tri bike. What matters is the hip/torso and torso/arm angles that are established by your position. Those angles should be consistent regardless of how low you go in front. Check Dan Empfield's articles on fit at slowtwitch.com. They make it pretty clear why the whole knee over the spindle thing is useless.

Second, the idea that aero wheels aren't worth it unless you can average 24-25 mph displays even more ignorance than the fit issue. It is true that wind resistance increases exponentially with speed and that aero savings will result in a greater percentage savings the faster you go. However, actual net savings will actually be higher for slower speed riders.

An example (using default drag settings from analytic cycling.com): a mediocre rider does a point to point 40k time trial with an average power of 150 watts and no wind They'll probably do about 18-19 mph. Better wheels might save them 40 seconds over that 40k. That's a savings of about 0.89%.

A better rider, doing the same TT with the exact same equipment but at 250 watts would save about 0.905%, a bigger percentage of time. The actual time savings, though, would be about 34 seconds.

Finally, a pro-level rider doing the TT at 400 watts would save 0.92%, but an actual net of 29 seconds.

Aero wheels do get less efficient at higher yaw angles, but will still be better than a non-aero wheel.

2007-11-01 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1032723

User image

Master
St. Louis
NateC - 2007-10-31 11:59 PM

An aero helmet is a good number 2 choice. You'll gain speed no matter what from having one, how much speed depends on the fit and discipline to keep your head in position. 1-2 mph is not unreasonable.

Wheels should be next. Wheels will add speed as well. Guaranteed. How much will depend on wheel selection. 1-2mph here is not unreasonable either.

So... with an aero helmet and wheels I'll be doing 4mph faster.. SWEET!

• If only this were REMOTELY true.

There isnt a remote chance in hell you will gain 2mph average from an aero helmet, or wheels unless your old helmet was the size of a billboard and you were running the HED stone decending wheels beforehand.
    Id say 2mph total, for both, is even a huge stretch.
    2007-11-01 1:02 PM
    in reply to: #1031049

User image

Expert
    Olathe, KS

meh...these guys know nothing.  carbon fiber bottle cages are your best bet.

2007-11-01 1:48 PM
    in reply to: #1033328

Regular
    Las Vegas, NV
    ranger5oh - 2007-11-01 10:16 AM

NateC - 2007-10-31 11:59 PM

An aero helmet is a good number 2 choice. You'll gain speed no matter what from having one, how much speed depends on the fit and discipline to keep your head in position. 1-2 mph is not unreasonable.

Wheels should be next. Wheels will add speed as well. Guaranteed. How much will depend on wheel selection. 1-2mph here is not unreasonable either.

So... with an aero helmet and wheels I'll be doing 4mph faster.. SWEET!

• If only this were REMOTELY true.

There isnt a remote chance in hell you will gain 2mph average from an aero helmet, or wheels unless your old helmet was the size of a billboard and you were running the HED stone decending wheels beforehand.
    Id say 2mph total, for both, is even a huge stretch.

My averages improved by over 3 mph. in less than a month's time. My old wheels where Ritchey WCS deep v wheels, so they were a moderately aero wheel, and I went from a road helmet to a Giro Advantage II and a set of Flash Point 60 wheels. I wonder how much I would be faster had I gone with a disc wheel in the back, and a Zipp 808 or Blackwell 100 in the front.

I think that you may not be reading the post closely enough. I said 1-2 for the helmet is not unreasonable, not guaranteed.
    2007-11-01 2:02 PM
    in reply to: #1032723

User image

Coach
    Boston, MA

NateC - 2007-10-31 11:59 PM I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the general direction of the thread. I agree with fitting being number 1. An optimized position will gain the most speed for the least amount of money that you can possibly find. An aero helmet is a good number 2 choice. You'll gain speed no matter what from having one, how much speed depends on the fit and discipline to keep your head in position. 1-2 mph is not unreasonable. Wheels should be next. Wheels will add speed as well. Guaranteed. How much will depend on wheel selection. 1-2mph here is not unreasonable either. A power meter is not an upgrade to your bicycle. It's a data collection device. It alone will not make you go faster. You won't see any IMMEDIATE returns on your investment. There is no question that power will allow you to train smarter once you have done the requisite research to understand the data and how to use it to your advantage, but a powermeter alone will not make you faster. Coaching is one of the least cost effective ways to get faster in MY opinion. There is more than enough information out there on what it takes to get faster. Generally speaking, the one thing that coaching does is forces people to spend more time in the saddle than they otherwise would. With a little attention and homework on what intensity you should be riding at during your training schedule and a little effort to find group rides in your area you could save the money on coaching and improve the same amount.

I was going to post a lengthy reply about some of your opinions, but after reading your paragraphs about the aero-helmet and aero-wheels I figured it was going to be pointless. According to you, next week I should expect to avg 27-28 mph for 56 Mi with my cool LG rocket helmet and my disc/tri spoke wheel combo, YAY!

2007-11-01 2:11 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
    The Road Back
    Gold member

Of course if you get all the blingetty bling bling AND the power-o-meter AND the coaching AND the proper fit, 30+ miles per hour should will be within your grasp.

Cool

2007-11-01 2:19 PM
    in reply to: #1033534

User image

Pro
    Melbourne FL
    Gold member

I don't see it NateC, if you take the info from this website (must be true it on the web!!!) and calc out the chg in MPH for a 40k ride at 20mph (1:14:30) for the wheels and aero helmet (call it 2:40), it's no more than a 0.75 mph difference.  2-4 mph would be a 6-12 minute decrease.  I believe only T.I.T.S or EPO can give you that!

2007-11-01 2:49 PM
    in reply to: #1033562

Regular
    Las Vegas, NV
    """I was going to post a lengthy reply about some of your opinions, but after reading your paragraphs about the aero-helmet and aero-wheels I figured it was going to be pointless. According to you, next week I should expect to avg 27-28 mph for 56 Mi with my cool LG rocket helmet and my disc/tri spoke wheel combo, YAY!"""

Ok, I'll take you on your snide comment. I see I must have hurt your feelings because you've got your income depending on people believing that there is no possible way to improve without coaching.

You charge $100 for a 90 min consulatation, and then $250 a month for coaching. I have a decent background in coaching and personal training, from that I know that its going to take 2-3 months MINIMUM to see real results in sports improvement. You however, require a 4 month commitment, which forces my investment to be $1100 minimum.

For the same investment, I can purchase a set of wheels and probably an aero helmet and no matter what my level of fitness, I'll be faster than without them.

Wheels and helmet are a more "cost effective" investment than coaching because they are a more lasting investment. That's why I rank them higher on the list. In addition to the fact that what I have seen from far too many triathlon coaches are regurgitated programs and information that they have gleaned from other sources.

Sorry Jorge, but you, nor any other coach possess some secret information that cannot be found elsewhere for a lot less money.

Edited by NateC 2007-11-01 3:02 PM
    2007-11-01 2:57 PM
    in reply to: #1033612

Regular
    Las Vegas, NV
    Donto - 2007-11-01 12:19 PM

I don't see it NateC, if you take the info from this website (must be true it on the web!!!) and calc out the chg in MPH for a 40k ride at 20mph (1:14:30) for the wheels and aero helmet (call it 2:40), it's no more than a 0.75 mph difference. 2-4 mph would be a 6-12 minute decrease. I believe only T.I.T.S or EPO can give you that!

Donto, the difference is that NYTRO calculated the time savings at 20mph or more. What if you are only a 15mph rider? It's an unarguable fact that slower riders will benefit more from aero equipment than faster riders. While contrary to what one might think at first, this proves to be true without exception.

At the Camp Pendleton Sprint triathlon on August 11, 2007 I averaged in the neighborhood of 16.5-17mph.

On Sept 30, 2007 at the Las Vegas Triathlon, I averaged 21 mph on a very similar course in terms of elevation gain, and terrain.

The only difference between the two rides were my clothing (one piece trisuit vs. shorts and shirt), helmet (aero helmet vs. standard road), and wheels (flash points vs. spoked).

I have similar results from several different training rides that were done before and after upgrading equipment. I'm not saying that my experience is the rule, but it's obviously a possible result. Which is what I implied in my original post.
    2007-11-01 3:08 PM
    in reply to: #1033562

User image

Champion
    Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
    amiine - 2007-11-01 4:02 PM

I was going to post a lengthy reply about some of your opinions, but after reading your paragraphs about the aero-helmet and aero-wheels I figured it was going to be pointless. According to you, next week I should expect to avg 27-28 mph for 56 Mi with my cool LG rocket helmet and my disc/tri spoke wheel combo, YAY!

Jorge,

If they haven't addressed the course issues from last year, that should be no problem - just swim slow and then stay in the peloton

Shane
    2007-11-01 8:46 PM

User image

Coach
    Boston, MA

Ok, I'll take you on your snide comment. I see I must have hurt your feelings because you've got your income depending on people believing that there is no possible way to improve without coaching. >>> Not at all but good try!

You charge $100 for a 90 min consulatation. >>> Only for those self-coached athletes looking for some insight about their training plans not for monthly athletes.

and then $250 a month for coaching. I have a decent background in coaching and personal training, from that I know that its going to take 2-3 months MINIMUM to see real results in sports improvement. >>> You can see improvements within weeks (actually within 5-6 weeks). In particular with beginners, in fact ANYONE can take an untrained individual and help him/her improve substantially with little knowledge of a particular activity. The other day at the gym I noticed than trainers coach triathletes nowadays! And BTW, I charge less

You however, require a 4 month commitment >>> yup and it has little to do with improvements. I (we) request that because we commit to each other (athlete/coach) for that period of time. Yes we charge for a service (like other professions) but we expect a mutual commitment from both parties. If the athlete can’t or won’t go that route we rather pass on the opportunity. Why? Because if an athlete fails we fail plain and simple. In the tri-coaching biz is kind of easy to grade the success of your practice or approach, and that is through results. If your athletes are achieving their goals (whether BQ, KQ, place on their AG, PR in their HIM or finish their 1st IM) it means both are committed and working together towards the goal and having success.

For the same investment, I can purchase a set of wheels and probably an aero helmet and no matter what my level of fitness, I'll be faster than without them. >>> True, you will be marginally faster, but faster ‘a bit’ nevertheless.

Wheels and helmet are a more "cost effective" investment than coaching because they are a more lasting investment. That's why I rank them higher on the list. >>> You are mistaken. Forget about coaching, TRAINING is what’s going to make you faster more than any gadgets. Yes gaining 1 mph (maybe 1.5mph with the right conditions) with aero-helmet/wheels but unless you get on the saddle consistently and train towards improving your cycling power you improvement will be limited. If that’s your goal, it is perfectly fine.

In addition to the fact that what I have seen from far too many triathlon coaches are regurgitated programs and information that they have gleaned from other sources. >>> I couldn’t agree more with you here. Unfortunately like any other profession coaching is prone to have good ones and the bad ones and there is nothing you can do about it. With the recent boom in the tri market, more and more you find avg self-proclaimed coaches which intentionally or not might take advantage of athletes in particular beginners by regurgitating training plans from the TTB, or others sources. But in the end you shouldn’t generalize and label all under the same category.

Sorry Jorge, but you, nor any other coach possess some secret information that cannot be found elsewhere for a lot less money >>> wrong again, I have the best, super, fantastic, amazing, special training approach who will make ANY athlete invariable faster. It is an approach that it has taken me all 3 years of my coaching experience to develop and it is blowing away other approaches. It is call SUAT or Shut Up and Train. Do that every day for a 1 year (with some rest in between when need it) and you’ll be faster.

At the Camp Pendleton Sprint triathlon on August 11, 2007 I averaged in the neighborhood of 16.5-17mph.  On Sept 30, 2007 at the Las Vegas Triathlon, I averaged 21 mph on a very similar course in terms of elevation gain, and terrain. The only difference between the two rides were my clothing (one piece trisuit vs. shorts and shirt), helmet (aero helmet vs. standard road), and wheels (flash points vs. spoked). I have similar results from several different training rides that were done before and after upgrading equipment. >>> here is where your statement losses credibility and accentuates the problem with the n=1 approach. You claim your aero-helmet, clothing and deep-dish wheels helped you gain 4-4.5 mph and you didn’t even changed your bike fit? besides the fact that your avg speed can fluctuate from day to day on the very SAME course, due to changes in the temp, air density, wind speed, weight,  tire pressure, or even a lubed chain (although 4+ mph, hardly)  let’s assume you did and it was under the same conditions and nothing changed including your fitness/power… you my friend discovered a magic helmet and aero-wheels and I wouldn’t let anyone know. Of course if you break down the data and use analytical cyclist you’ll notice that your improvements as you mention are uummm, pretty inconceivable.

2007-11-01 8:58 PM
    in reply to: #1033699

User image

Champion

No, there's another huge difference you're not factoring.  It's two different courses.  Even the best race directors mismeasure bike courses at times.

If you did the same course a few days apart with the two different sets of equipment and demonstrated a significant difference, that would be one thing.  You're comparing apples and oranges.

NateC - 2007-11-01 2:57 PM At the Camp Pendleton Sprint triathlon on August 11, 2007 I averaged in the neighborhood of 16.5-17mph. On Sept 30, 2007 at the Las Vegas Triathlon, I averaged 21 mph on a very similar course in terms of elevation gain, and terrain. The only difference between the two rides were my clothing (one piece trisuit vs. shorts and shirt), helmet (aero helmet vs. standard road), and wheels (flash points vs. spoked).

2007-11-01 10:20 PM

User image

Pro
    MAC-opolis
    NateC - 2007-11-01 3:57 PM
    Donto - 2007-11-01 12:19 PM

I don't see it NateC, if you take the info from this website (must be true it on the web!!!) and calc out the chg in MPH for a 40k ride at 20mph (1:14:30) for the wheels and aero helmet (call it 2:40), it's no more than a 0.75 mph difference. 2-4 mph would be a 6-12 minute decrease. I believe only T.I.T.S or EPO can give you that!

Donto, the difference is that NYTRO calculated the time savings at 20mph or more. What if you are only a 15mph rider? It's an unarguable fact that slower riders will benefit more from aero equipment than faster riders. While contrary to what one might think at first, this proves to be true without exception. At the Camp Pendleton Sprint triathlon on August 11, 2007 I averaged in the neighborhood of 16.5-17mph. On Sept 30, 2007 at the Las Vegas Triathlon, I averaged 21 mph on a very similar course in terms of elevation gain, and terrain. The only difference between the two rides were my clothing (one piece trisuit vs. shorts and shirt), helmet (aero helmet vs. standard road), and wheels (flash points vs. spoked). I have similar results from several different training rides that were done before and after upgrading equipment. I'm not saying that my experience is the rule, but it's obviously a possible result. Which is what I implied in my original post.

Funny.  Actually made soda come out my nose.  Fortunately I've been doing this sport for more than 10 days which means I realize this is about as plausible as little green men on Mars.  It was well written though...nice semantics and good use of punctuation.

2007-11-01 10:32 PM

User image

Master
    St. Louis
    NateC - 2007-11-01 2:57 PM

It's an unarguable fact that slower riders will benefit more from aero equipment than faster riders. While contrary to what one might think at first, this proves to be true without exception.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I guess my Aerospace Engineering degree and Physics degree and 6 years in the aerospace profession have taught me nothing. Your statement couldnt be more false.

2007-11-01 10:41 PM
    in reply to: #1034231

Regular
    Las Vegas, NV
    The place where your argument lost credibility with me is where you reinforced what I said in my original post about the fact that coaching is not a cost effective solution. Particularly in the case of a beginner.

You reinforced what I stated in my original post. Your secret of "Shut Up and Train" is exactly what I stated as an argument against coaching. I said that there are no secrets and that an individual would be better served to study about training techniques and get out and ride than paying for a coach to tell him to do so.

While this is a good discussion to have, I want to take a moment to say that I cannot and do not have any opinion good or bad of you as a coach, and I don't want to paint all coaches as worthless. My statements about coaching are made in the context of this thread and made vs. buying wheels or a helmet. I'm sorry if it's come off as a generalization of coaching in general.
    2007-11-01 11:06 PM

User image

Elite
    Chicago

NateC - 2007-11-01 1:57 PM At the Camp Pendleton Sprint triathlon on August 11, 2007 I averaged in the neighborhood of 16.5-17mph. On Sept 30, 2007 at the Las Vegas Triathlon, I averaged 21 mph on a very similar course in terms of elevation gain, and terrain. The only difference between the two rides were my clothing (one piece trisuit vs. shorts and shirt), helmet (aero helmet vs. standard road), and wheels (flash points vs. spoked). I have similar results from several different training rides that were done before and after upgrading equipment. I'm not saying that my experience is the rule, but it's obviously a possible result. Which is what I implied in my original post.

I know what happened....you peddled faster. 

2007-11-02 2:58 AM

User image

Tauranga, New Zealand
    What about tires? I read in the UK 220 magazine that good tires could take 2 minutes off a 40Km ride. Can anyone verify this?

Edited by johnvick 2007-11-02 2:59 AM
    2007-11-02 7:57 AM
    in reply to: #1034428

User image

Expert
    FL

ranger5oh - 2007-11-01 11:32 PM
    NateC - 2007-11-01 2:57 PM It's an unarguable fact that slower riders will benefit more from aero equipment than faster riders. While contrary to what one might think at first, this proves to be true without exception.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA! I guess my Aerospace Engineering degree and Physics degree and 6 years in the aerospace profession have taught me nothing. Your statement couldnt be more false.

I don't have a Aerospace Engineering degree or Physics degree or any of the like experience and I really shook my head at this one.  It is kind of like saying it is easier to ride in a 10 mph wind than a 20 mph wind. 

I will take the side of the aerospace expert!!!

2007-11-02 9:54 AM
    in reply to: #1034662

User image

Elite
    Austin, TX
    Gold member
    mgmoore7 - 2007-11-02 7:57 AM

NateC - 2007-11-01 2:57 PM It's an unarguable fact that slower riders will benefit more from aero equipment than faster riders. While contrary to what one might think at first, this proves to be true without exception.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA! I guess my Aerospace Engineering degree and Physics degree and 6 years in the aerospace profession have taught me nothing. Your statement couldnt be more false.

I don't have a Aerospace Engineering degree or Physics degree or any of the like experience and I really shook my head at this one.  It is kind of like saying it is easier to ride in a 10 mph wind than a 20 mph wind. 

While inelegantly stated, this isn't completely wrong. Slower riders will see a larger savings in net time than a faster rider. Faster riders will see a larger savings in percentage of time. I said the same thing earlier, but to exaggerate: A 15 mph rider may save 2 minutes out of an hour. A 20 mph rider may save 1:50 out of 45 minutes. The slow rider saved more time, right? But as a percentage, the slow guy saved 3.3%, the fast guy saved 4.1%.

Edited by dgunthert 2007-11-02 9:54 AM
    2007-11-02 11:36 AM
    in reply to: #1034428

User image

Champion
    the colony texas

ranger5oh - 2007-11-01 10:32 PM

so if I was to shave my legs how much time would I save?/

is there a certain razor that will improve the airflow around my legs better than others.??

2007-11-02 11:51 AM
    in reply to: #1034819

User image

Master
    St. Louis
    dgunthert - 2007-11-02 9:54 AM

mgmoore7 - 2007-11-02 7:57 AM

While inelegantly stated, this isn't completely wrong. Slower riders will see a larger savings in net time than a faster rider. Faster riders will see a larger savings in percentage of time. I said the same thing earlier, but to exaggerate: A 15 mph rider may save 2 minutes out of an hour. A 20 mph rider may save 1:50 out of 45 minutes. The slow rider saved more time, right? But as a percentage, the slow guy saved 3.3%, the fast guy saved 4.1%.

What you stated is that aero benefits slower riders more... which is completely false. There is a reason as things get faster and faster they need to be more and more aero. Think Honda civic vs. Formula 1.... or a 747 vs. an F-22.

A rider, riding at 15mph will see almost no benefit from aerodynamic wheels. The forces involved with aerodynamic drag have a V^2 term.. meaning(simply put) doubling the speed means you need to apply 4x the force to maintain that speed. At 15mph your wheels just arent producing enough drag to see a noticable difference from aero improvement, same goes for the helmet.

At 18-20mph or greater the aero forces become (what I would consider) significant, and start to have a noticable effect on your performance. Some say slower speeds, but I doubt anyone would argue at 18... some say 15, some say 16...etc.

With your assumptions, the slower you ride, the more time you save over an hour.... so if a rider averages 1mph, how many minutes will he save with that disk wheel and aero helmet? The correct answer is none.

That rider at 20mph though... he may see a minute or so over 40k.

2007-11-02 12:18 PM

Regular
    Las Vegas, NV
    You aerospace degree isn't helping you when it comes to making a decent comparison.

Consider the R&D budgets, intended purposes, and production costs of Formula 1 cars or fighter jets, vs. a 747 or Honda Civic.

A Honda Civic is limited in terms of aerodynamics, not due to the fact that it's bound to be a slower car but because of the fact that it's meant to haul people and belongings from one place to another and it needs to be made affordable to the general public. Taking the design of the Civic into the wind tunnel for the extensive testing and tweaking that an F1 car would go through is an argument of diminishing marginal returns for the manufacturer. The car may get better gas mileage but it then becomes unaffordable to more and more members of the general public.

The Civic and the Formula 1 car do not share the similar purpose of trying to get from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time possible. The logic in your argument is extremely flawed.

Secondly, you misquoted and took my statement about the slower rider out of context. I stated in the sentence before that I was referring to a 15mph rider. A speed which you "the Aerospace Expert" agree can be considered a speed in which drag has an effect that must be considered.

I'll put your 6 years in the aerospace industry against these guys who have quite a bit more experience and it's specifically in the area of making bicycles faster.

http://www.cervelo.com/slideshow.aspx?id=3

It's funny to me how everyone wants to attack the semantics of my statements about the amount of speed gained even though I never guaranteed a certain number, only that the rider would be faster. The reason this whole argument started, was that I disagreed that a coach and a powermeter would be the best BIKE UPGRADES. I re-prioritized the given list and all the sudden I'm the idiot. Take the semantics away from my statments (no mph given), and my suggestions still stand as good ones. The OP asked what the best BIKE UPGRADES are, and I made suggestions as far as BIKE UPGRADES. Everyone else suggests, two major expenditures that will not guarantee immediate speed and are not BIKE UPGRADES and I'm the idiot.

It's hilarious to me that contrary points of view aren't welcomed on this board. However questionable my personal results are (I do concede that they aren't scientifically based, but are documented none the less), my suggestions still stand as strong ones and I have given good reasons why.

No one has refuted my suggestions, only my personal experiences. Attack the person when you can't attack the facts, is that how it works?

Edited by NateC 2007-11-02 12:42 PM
    2007-11-02 12:42 PM
    in reply to: #1034485

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA

NateC - 2007-11-01 1:57 PM At the Camp Pendleton Sprint triathlon on August 11, 2007 I averaged in the neighborhood of 16.5-17mph. On Sept 30, 2007 at the Las Vegas Triathlon, I averaged 21 mph on a very similar course in terms of elevation gain, and terrain. The only difference between the two rides were my clothing (one piece trisuit vs. shorts and shirt), helmet (aero helmet vs. standard road), and wheels (flash points vs. spoked). I have similar results from several different training rides that were done before and after upgrading equipment. I'm not saying that my experience is the rule, but it's obviously a possible result. Which is what I implied in my original post.

I congratulate you on your faster bike split and average speed at Las Vegas. But keep in mind that you only went 20K on the bike in Las Vegas, while you went 30K at Camp Pendleton. A fairly insignificant difference for some of our more finely tuned athletes here, but for me at least, a longer ride usually means a slower average speed.

And don't sell your body short -- you say the "only" difference between Camp Pendleton and Las Vegas was the gear, but you also had about 6 weeks of training time. You're a better judge than I am as to how well you used the time, but the evidence seems to suggest you made good use of it.

Remember, it's not only about the bike/helmet/wheels/tires. Sure, they make a difference, but the best predictor of your success is going to be your training log.
    2007-11-02 12:47 PM
    in reply to: #1035193

Regular
    Las Vegas, NV
    You make an excellent point. It's all true and if I would have known that my suggestions would be so attacked, I would have reconsidered making that statement as it's very anecdotal.

The point that I was trying to make (I must be careful now that I'm under a microscope), is that as far as BIKE UPGRADES go, my opinion and experience is that FITTING, THEN AERO COMPONENTS are the best bang for the buck.

A powermeter is only a data collection device that requires effort to learn to use and upkeep properly and a coach is not cycling specific. A good coach will help everything tremendously, but it comes at quite a significant expense.
    2007-11-02 12:52 PM
    in reply to: #1035102

User image

Elite
    Austin, TX
    Gold member
    ranger5oh - 2007-11-02 11:51 AM

What you stated is that aero benefits slower riders more...

First, I didn't state that. I was merely saying that the poster that actually said that was not entirely incorrect.

Second, I didn't say the slower you ride, the more time you save over an hour. It's kind of hard to save time over a specific period of time, isn't it? I said a slower rider would see a greater time differential over a specific distance while a faster rider would see a greater percentage differential when using aero equipment as opposed to non-aero.

Third, I explicitly stated that the example I was giving was exaggerated.

Finally, I completely agree that at slower speeds aerodynamics play a much smaller role and that rolling resistance becomes a larger percentage of the forces you're acting against. That aerodynamic factor is always there, however. And unless you're riding at an indoor velodrome, you can add wind to the equation so roughly half of your distance (but well more than half of your actual time) will be the aerodynamic equivalent of riding faster than you actually are.

This whole topic in this thread came about because a tech at a bike shop said aero equipment is useless unless you're riding 24-25 mph. I'd hope you'd agree that's patently absurd.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Upgrade for a TRI Bike - Rss Feed  

of 3