General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Know any good IM training plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-03 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Know any good IM training plans
Besides the BT plans, can anyone recommend a good training plan that's reasonably priced (<$100) and good for a first full Ironman. I've been looking around online and found a few available, but can anyone speak about any from experience? Pros/cons, etc.?

For background, I've done a HIM and 2 marathons, and while my main goal is to finish, I'd really like to do well (but have no idea what time to aim for). Training time isn't an issue except for my 2 night classes per week, but I can work around those reasonably well.

2007-11-03 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1036553

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Know any good IM training plans

Really? 

Other than hiring a coach, I don't think you can get much cheaper than the BT plans. 

I suppose you could do a search on Gale Bernhardts "13 weeks to a 13 hour ironman" (here: http://www.cluboceano.com/13.htm). Thats free.  Or you could buy her book.

Otherwise, trainingpeaks.com has a bunch of plans. 

2007-11-03 10:34 PM
in reply to: #1036553

Veteran
Subject: RE: Know any good IM training plans
I used the BT plan for the full IM to a finish with my first IM (and to date only IM). THere were some things in it that i disagreed with. I used it in conjuction with what i learned from Going Long and changed some things accordingly, like shortening the longest run durations, eliminating the "run active recovery" sessions, and things like that. I am currently making my own plan for next year. The BT plan worked, but i think i can make a better one(with the help of the Triathlete's training bible, and some input from a veteran friend). anyways, it will get the job done. I had a lot less experience than you starting it too.

Travis
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Know any good IM training plans Rss Feed