General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2005 race plan - too aggressive? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-07 10:29 PM

Subject: 2005 race plan - too aggressive?
I am trying to figure out my training plan for the below three main races in 2005. Am I too aggressive - Am I going to fail to achieve my goals?

Mid April - Boston Marathon (Second marathon in my life. Goal; Have fun. Not going to run hard)
Mid June - Olympic distance Tri (First Oly tri, after two sprint tri (one in top 1/5 AG finish, the other in top 1/2 AG finish. Goal; Top 1/2 AG finish)
Mid Oct - Fall marathon (will be 3rd marathon. Goal; 5 minutes PR from 3:44 this year)

Over winter, I am thinking to do 2x swim, 2x bike and 3x run (similar to the 'run focus training program' on this site, with exception of much longer runs).
After Boston, cut down running and focus on Swimming and biking.
After June Tri, I will have about 18weeks to focus on running. May do some bike/swim as a cross training, but fous 100% on running.

I am currently two-weeks post marathon and not completely back to normal yet (lack of stamina), although I biked 1 hr x 2, swam 40min x 2 and ran once (6miles) this week. What I am concerend is, do I have enough time after Boston to step up to my best possible tri condition for my June Olympic distance? Another one is, how much recovery time would I need from Olympic tri? I am hoping it is much shorter compared to marathon.

Any advice on my race plan as well as training framework will be appreciated!!!

Yoshiko

2004-11-08 8:19 AM
in reply to: #80110

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: 2005 race plan - too aggressive?
First and foremost...Congratulations on qualifying for Boston. That, in itself, is a great accomplishment.

I'm assuming that running is your "stong" event...so that' being said here's what I would suggest.

Your racing goal is not too aggressive as you are not planning to PR at Boston. An Olympic distance in mid-june is fine, however don't expect this to be a PR race either as you will not have enough time to build-up and taper for this event. You will, however, be able to complete it with little to no change of injury (assuming you stick to your non-PR Boston plan).

If you want to really PR at an Olympic distance you'll need more time and should plan on racing an August Olympic distance . . . but if this is not in the cards, stick to your June schedule.

If you want to do the best you can do with the time you have for this Olympic tri . . . I suggest to use your running strength to your advantage. By this I mean, since your running base is already set (2 marathons already by June time) you should really focus more on your weak "link"

Determine what your weak link is. Is it swimming? Then swim 3-4 times a week. 3 times with masters and 1 time for 30 min just doing drills.

Is yor weak link biking? then bike 3-4 times a week, 1 long Zone 1 ride (weekend maybe), 2 rides zones 2-3...focusing more on zone 3 when may comes to an end), and 1 ride for 45 minutes focusing on drills. A cycling drill ride could be something like 15 minutes easy, 4 x 1 legged pedel for 30 sec each, 15 minutes easy.

As for recovering from an Olympic tri? Ha, you'll be glad to know it's NOTHING like recovering from a marathon. As you know, to fully recover from a marathon (with no risk of injury) it's usually 3-4 weeks depending on fitness, age, and experience at that distance, while an Olympic tri recovery is in the order of 2 weeks (generally speaking).
2004-11-08 9:17 PM
in reply to: #80110

Subject: RE: 2005 race plan - too aggressive?
Thanks Steve for your reply. Although I can go forever in a pool, I am very slow and I had never a good swim in open water (only twice - just on race days...). So, I am taking a lesson this winter and I will definately do open water practice a few times. As for bike, I need to spend some time on a saddle.... I just got a brand-new road bike (my own!) and started riding one hour at a time. Although running is my strong event and I understand I need to spend more time swim/bike, I just can't let go of running to just twice/wk. I still want to run 30mpw or so over the winter/spring. I worked very hard this season and don't want to start all over.. Another reason is, I can be competitive in my age group at local running races (1/2mary and shorter), but there is no way I will be in Tri race. I would like to keep winning AG award in running.

Anyway, I look forward to spending more time on swim/bike and seeing what the tri training does to my running in the next Fall marathon!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2005 race plan - too aggressive? Rss Feed