san jose, California
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 18s
Overall Rank = 463/820
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 25/73
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to San Jose and ate a banana along the way. Then at a hammer gel about 30 minutes before the start. Loved getting that extra hour of sleep in since we changed the clocks!
Event warmup:

Stretched, bathroom and used "The Stick" on my legs. The Stick is my new toy I bought at the expo, you roll it over your tight muscles and helps work out the tightness. Cool toy and it works!
Run
  • 2h 14m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I started this race within a 20 feet or so of the start line, pretty small field and there were no pace markers set up. Half and full marathoners started at the same time. I felt great at the start and hit mile 1 at 10 minutes (this is fast for me for a 13.1 mile run). Could not believe how great I was feeling and told myself to drop down a bit in my pace. In my mind I really wanted to PR this course since my last half-mary I cramped bad in the last 2-3 miles. My plan was a run/walk of 9:1 whihc I have been doing in training. During the walk I would take a drink of my Infinit. I also kept wanting to push and take shorter walk breaks. Figured since I had not done it in traning, I should stick with my plan.

Saw lots of people come out too fast and around mile 5-6 I was passing people! THIS NEVER HAPPENS!! I hit the 6 mile mark at 1:01 and was really happy about my pace and the way my legs were feeling. Cource was great, shade and lots of the run went along a creek on a bike path.

After the 6 mile time, I made a deal with myself to be at the 10-mile mark by 2:42 at the latest in hopes of finishing in 2:15. At mile 10, I looked at my watch and it was 2:42 and some change, i smiled and told myself, "you can PR this race and knock 10 minutes off of the last half-marathon!". Smiled to myself and kept running. Wound up in front of 2 guys talking politics...ugg, annoying! Sped up some just to get away from them. eventually started to see the faster marathoners come back, it's crazy how fast some people are!!

At mile 12 I was there at 2:03 and knew I could run the last mile in less than 12 minutes...I was pumped! I began to kick it in and passed more people...what is up with that (huge grin). I took a 15 second walk break in the last mile to get some more Infinit and just thought about 2:15 and the finish line. The finish line is partially on a track and then a small semi-loop on grass to get the .1 mile in, I kicked it in more on the track and then sprinted once on the grass. I was thrill to cross the finish line in 2:14, loved coming in before 2:15-awesome!

According to the race results the average 1/2 mary time was 2:14:29, I'm above average!! ha ha! I'm also shocked I came in 25 of 73 in my division, craziness! PR'ed this race by 11 minutes-cool!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I'm pumpeed about my PR!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched and ate a banana. Legs started to get a little tight, but used The Stick on them when I got back to the car, no problem.

Took the bus back to the starting line. Was starving but they only had bananas and smoothies, saw them selling food, but I left my money in the car. Went back to the car and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, this was fast for me :)

Event comments:

Could have been more food at the finish line, I was starving1

Last updated: 2007-10-23 12:00 AM
Running
02:14:18 | 13.1 miles | 10m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/73
Overall: 463/820
Performance: Good
Course: Straight course, start in 1 spot and finish in another. I thought it was flat with a few little inclines, can;t even call them hills, but after the race talked to a bunch of people who felt the course was hilly! I guess everyone has their own definition of hilly!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-05 10:17 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: Silicon Valley 1/2 marathon

2007-11-05 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1038235

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Silicon Valley 1/2 marathon
That is AWESOME Abbie....way to go!!!!!  Another successful offseason IM challenger kicks butt!! WHOOP WHOOOOOOP!!!
2007-11-05 1:30 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
11 minutes is huge! That's fantastic! Congrats on such a great race!!
2007-11-05 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
It looks like your run training is really paying off! Great job Abbie!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silicon Valley 1/2 marathon Rss Feed