General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint or Oly, need opinions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-08 12:08 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: Sprint or Oly, need opinions
OK, next season I'll be doing my first race. The question is should I start with a sprint or an Oly. I've already pegged the two possible candidates, The Mullet man tri April 16 (sprint) or the St. Anthony's April 24 (Oly). And I really can't do both, physically and I can't take two Friday's off in a row with my job requirements. I think I know the answer in my heart, but just wanted some opinions from people that have done both distances.

2004-11-08 12:14 PM
in reply to: #80305

User image

Champion
Michigan
Subject: RE: Sprint or Oly, need opinions

I haven't done any distance and I'm in the same boat as you.  I think training for the oly, just so you're ready, is the smart idea.   You never know, you could have a conflict come up between now and then to make the decision for you.  It's better to be prepared, and heck, you'll be in kick butt shape for either one.  Good luck on your first.  Aren't you excited? I am!

Trix

2004-11-08 12:20 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
How can you pass up the MULLET MAN tri? Is there a requirement for a proper mullet to enter? (http://www.mulletsgalore.com/). Seriously though...I'd personally suggest a sprint to start just to see how you like it. But there is no reason why you couldn't finish an Oly if you train properly. I started with a couple sprints this season, plan to add a couple Oly distance next year, a 1/2 IM the next year, and ultimately do a full IM by the time I'm 35.
2004-11-08 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa

My opinion is to start with a sprint. It will be a real learning experience and it's short enough to keep it fun. You can do all of the same things in an oly, I know, I just think that for a first race a sprint is a great way to get your feet wet (no pun intended) Good luck and keep us posted.

2004-11-08 12:28 PM

User image

You have time to train for the Oly.  Are you strong at swimming? Experienced with open water distance swimming?  If you are a strong swimmer already then you certainly would be fine with an Oly.  However, if open water swimming is new to you, then you might want to start with the sprint.  It seems to be the swimming that is most challenging to beginner triathletes.

2004-11-08 12:49 PM

Master
Boston
Okay- I think you can do an Olympic tri AND I think you should do St. Anthony's! A bunch of people from BT are going to be there, which will be really fun! Here was my situation- I took a triathlon "class", which was offered at my university in January of this year. I had NO prior swimming, biking or running experience. We had class twice a week, and on the other days, i worked out alone. And I did my first triathlon ever- olympic distance- in April. That was only 3 months of training!!!! And I, by no means, come from an athletic background. I have to work hard at training. And, I'm average all across the board in terms of swim, bike and run. Finishing the triathlon was an amazing experience. It was VERY tough, but I finished (near the back) in 3 hrs 30 minutes. Your body can do amazing things. So, I definitely think you could do it. Sprints are fun too though- it's a different kind of race- more competetive, because it's shorter. I plan to do both next year. Good luck with your training and hope to see you at St. Anthony's!

2004-11-08 1:08 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I agree with Zagagirl. It really does depend on your swimming background. I say that because most anyone can complete the Olympic bike and run distances but if you aren't an experienced swimmer then an open water swim of the Olympic distance might be a challenge. However, it's November and you've got from now until April to train. That's essentially 5 months so the Olympic is not unreasonable if you are able to build up your swimming endurance.

Another option: you could do the Sprint race at St. Anthony's. It's the day before the Olympic one.
2004-11-08 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I would start with the sprint tri only because as you get closer to race date if your not meeting your expectations in training for the olympic distance you may defeat yourself even before you race. I did a sprint for my first race this past season and I determined after that if I was ready for an olympic distance.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint or Oly, need opinions Rss Feed