General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri gear stores in Missouri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-07 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO
Subject: tri gear stores in Missouri

I am in Columbia, and we have a couple of good places to go for tri gear, but not much in the way of tri bike stores.  At any given moment there may be one tri bike in any of the three stores in town. 

I was wondering if any of the peeps on St Louis, KC or any other city in MO have a place that you like to get your tri gear.   In particular, I am interested in where you got your tri bikes, and how you like the selection, service, fitting, price, and overall opinion of the store.    I am looking to possibly upgrade my tri bike this off season and was wanting some info on stores throughout the state.  

Feel free to recommend any other stores that you like for other gear like running shoes/apparel or swim goods.   We can make this the official thread for tri gear stores in MO.  Thanks in advance for any info

Josh

2007-11-08 2:05 PM
in reply to: #1042242

User image

Veteran
Glen Carbon
Subject: RE: tri gear stores in Missouri
Maplewood cycles carries about anything you could want. I do not get there very often because it is pretty far from my home, http://www.maplewoodbicycle.com

Big Shark and Little Shark in University City carry quite a lot between the two, Big Shark has the bikes and Little Share the rest.
http://bigshark.com/index.cfm

There are quite a few bike shops and running stores throughout the area. You just need to know what brands you are interested in trying. If you let me know what brands of bikes you wnat, I can give you some specific stores.
2007-11-08 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
I bought my tri bike from Maplewood. I LOVE their customer service. I've had a positive experience with each employee that's assisted me. I highly recommend them!
2007-11-09 11:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO

Thanks

Maura... did you get a fit done there for your tri bike?    How thorough was it.?.... How are their prices compared to other stores?  I see from maplewood's website that they carry alot of good brands... I am leaning toward QR because I currently have one and I like it alot (i am retiring mine because of some frame safety concerns--- of my own doing...i ran it into my garage door with it on top of my car)  How is there in-store selection?   Do they have several different tri bikes and sizes that you can try out?  Or do they have to order almost everything?  

One more question... Has anyone had any experience with Fitpro bicyles? http://www.fitprobicycles.com/  They only sell guru and serotti... but it sounds like they do i good bike fitting

Thanks again for any info.

Josh

2007-11-09 1:09 PM

Master
STL

i'll vote for maplewood. i got my tri bike from their and my fitting seemed very thourough...much better than my "other" bike shop. As far as prices, i know they are chaper than my other shop.

Fleet feet is a good place for running stuff. they have some tri gear too, like jersey's and swimming gear.

2007-11-29 6:45 PM

User image

Joplin

After reading crozetiga's post and the responses I feel as if I need to move to St. Louis. There seem to be some great options available in the local bike shops. I get excited just finding Clif Bars in any local store. I can't imagine what would happen if I walked into a bike shop filled with all the toys. I might fall down on my knees and cry.

2007-11-30 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1075075

User image

Veteran
Glen Carbon
mgilliland - 2007-11-29 6:45 PM

After reading crozetiga's post and the responses I feel as if I need to move to St. Louis. There seem to be some great options available in the local bike shops. I get excited just finding Clif Bars in any local store. I can't imagine what would happen if I walked into a bike shop filled with all the toys. I might fall down on my knees and cry.

Come on, we are in a buyers market right now.

It's nothing like Flroida, Texas, Arizona or California for selection, but we do have quite a few choices.
2007-12-10 7:53 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
If you venture to the KC area, check out The Bike Stop in Blue Springs, or if you get far enough (State Line), Bike Source in Overland Park is the major vendor for the KC Multisport group.  Both shops carry tri bikes.  The Bike Stop carries mainly Specialized and Giant; Bike Source carries Orbeas, Cervelos, etc. 
2007-12-10 9:49 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Yep - Maplewood and Big Shark, STL stores.  Both pretty cool. 
2008-02-18 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1045643

User image

Master
St. Louis
crozetiga - 2007-11-09 11:24 AM

Thanks

Maura... did you get a fit done there for your tri bike?    How thorough was it.?.... How are their prices compared to other stores?  I see from maplewood's website that they carry alot of good brands... I am leaning toward QR because I currently have one and I like it alot (i am retiring mine because of some frame safety concerns--- of my own doing...i ran it into my garage door with it on top of my car)  How is there in-store selection?   Do they have several different tri bikes and sizes that you can try out?  Or do they have to order almost everything?  

One more question... Has anyone had any experience with Fitpro bicyles? http://www.fitprobicycles.com/  They only sell guru and serotti... but it sounds like they do i good bike fitting

Thanks again for any info.

Josh

Fitpro looks to be an excellent shop. I have yet to purchase anything from them, but they seem to be knowledgable and sell great products. I live a block from them... so I gaze in everyday
2008-02-18 1:48 PM

User image

Regular
Epic Bike in KC is awesome.. Its the new Specialized Concept store.. If you happen to go the owner is Scott.. Great guy..tell him Brian sent you.. Here is there site http://www.epicbikeandsport.com/
I was in there last week and they already have the new carbon specialized transition for sale. Talk about a sweet Tri bike.. Also Scott has atteneded the Body Geomtry fit school out in San Jose.. He has all the shims and insoles for your shoes too. He fit me up and wow I have alot more power than I did before. Anyway its worth stopping in there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri gear stores in Missouri Rss Feed