orrrc
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 37s
Overall Rank = 1/56
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Up fairly early at 7:40 or so. Had a cup of coffee and the also had some coffee cake. Dressed in my running shorts under my jeans, then headed to church. Got to church a little late, it started at 9:00 but we got there about 9:15 or so.

Tracked my daughter down at 10:05 and told her to get dressed so we could get on the road at 10:10. The only problem was she didn’t get ready by then. She had problems with her slippery pants, they were stuck going on over her shoes. So we hit the road about 10:25, that gave us JUST barely enough time to get there on time. We got there about 5 minutes until race time. Ran over to the start line, but then had to run into the sign up area. Signed up and they asked if we wanted to run since they had started, I told them they had not started yet. Gave them my time, 29:37 and my daughters time 30:03 then ran out to the start line.

Event warmup:

No real warm up. Got to the line and they started about 30 seconds later.
Run
  • 29m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out fairly easy, I didn’t want to push very hard, This was a training run as much as anything. If I had wanted to push I could have gone a lot harder, this was a run with my daughter and enjoy the race.

This race is a PREDICTION run, that means you tell how fast you are going to run, then the closest to their race prediction WINS. This is not the FASTEST, but the most accurate.

I WON!!!! I hit my predicted time RIGHT ON!

Not having the course knowledge it is hard to know how long you have run on this course. No watch means you have to use a combo of RPE and other factors to guess time. Running with Trigirl10 meant I had some estimate of how fast we were going based on her ability and fitness. I was able to use that to guess about our overall time. She had a couple of times she wanted to walk, but I kept her going.

I felt pretty good the whole time. Even with the temps in the 40's I was running in shorts and a long sleeve T-shirt, with a sleeveless jacket. Trigirl10 ran with shorts and a t-shirt and jacket. She was cold most of the run, I should have let her run with long pants.

We took water the first time we passed a water station, then when we passed again I skipped the water. She took it then as well.

Trigirl10 was wondering how much longer we had, about half way. That was a guess and I told her we had 15 minutes more. She was cold and was not happy about running the race.

This was just an easy day and we enjoyed it a lot.
What would you do differently?:

Huummm maybe NOTHING! Since I hit my target time, what should I have done differently? Maybe predicted a faster time, then left pokey pants (Trigirl10) in the DUST.

We would have been 1 and 2, except I didn't let her predict the same finish time as I had. We changed her time to 30:03, so when she finished 2 seconds behind me, that would have put her at 2 seconds off. That would have been good enough for second place.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked into the building, grabbed a couple cookies and a banana. Then chatted with some other finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, this was a training run.

Event comments:

A free turkey to the winner, and the top 13-14 finishers.

Last updated: 2007-11-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:37 | 03.11 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/56
Performance: Good
No data since I could not wear a watch or GPS device.
Course: All around the mulberry bush the daughter chased the daddy. She never caught him all the while, ha ha ha ha laughed the daddy!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-11-19 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: Turkey Prediction 5K

2007-11-19 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1060230

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Turkey Prediction 5K
Cool, sounds like it was fun!  And a free turkey ta-boot. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turkey Prediction 5K Rss Feed