Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Bike
  • 3h 44m
  • 63 miles
  • 16.88 mile/hr
Comments:

This is my second year doing the metric. Time is an estimate based on someone else's computer. Not much to report, it's a 63 mile ride, but some observations

It's a rolling start, so we showed up to Paula's Pancake House around 8 and scarfed down some Danish pancakes, eggs, bacon, toast, coffee... lots of folks had started around 7 or so, what's the point of going out into that cold???

We had a group of 7, smaller than last year - me, Dave, Chris, Jeff, Rochelle, Renata, and Campbell. About 1 mile in, Renata got the first flat. I hate starting out and getting an immediate flat in the group. I hate it more when it's me :)

They changed the course from last year, when the first part of the ride was a 12 mile or so out and back climb to Nojoqui Falls. This year, they put that at the end. It was cruel, it's the steepest part of the day, but I think they did it because its wooded and overhung, very very cold early in the morning. Although hard, it was actually nice to ride up in the shade and warmer temps of the day.

Last year, I recall there being 5 climbs. Perspective is everything. The things I thought were "climbs" for the most part weren't this year. The first climb was Ballard Canyon outgoing, two years ago doing the 50 miler I had to walk up this. Then lots and lots of flat road, took turns pace lining. Chris got the second flat out in this area, Dave and I went on ahead, figuring the goats would catch us on the climbs. At this point, I had no idea where the girls were.

Quick climb up to Michael Jackson's old ranch Neverland for the turnaround. Dave drafted me the whole way up and down. Then to Foxen Canyon, where I swallowed that bee last year. Thankfully, no apiary delights this year. I used to think this was a tough climb. Dave and I spun up it.

Down and around hwy 154, Dave still drafting, up Ballard Canyon the opposite way. This is the route the Tour of California takes for the Solvang time trial, so they've really improved the road and gotten rid of the gravel. Can still see "Cancellara" chalked on the ground (was he even in it??) Boys still hadn't caught up.

There were a couple sag stops along the way. Overall, we stopped for perhaps 4 minutes to pee and fill the bottles, and were off. I don't get sag stops for 63 mile rides at home, why should Solvang be any different?

Fun, fast rollers, back into town, Dave still drafting. Then to the Nojoqui climb. Lots of folks (including the girls) skipped it, or just stopped in the middle of the climb to turn around. Hard to plan a route with an out and back climb at the back end. After the turn around, Campbell finally caught us. Saw Jeff and Chris coming up, but they never got us.

Near the bottom, Campbell - who is a monster on the bike - said he'd been stuck in his middle gears for about half the ride, 2 on the big ring and 2 on the small. Dave looked at me and said, "life sucks, eh? let's go" so we took off, Campbell couldn't keep up. After drafting off me for 62 miles, Dave came around and hammered the last mile. Bastard.

Post race meal was good. Didn't think I was that hungry, but 1 large BBQ chicken breast, salad, beans, bread and cookies (and 2 beers) later, I changed my mind.

Afterward we stopped at my mom's place so Campbell could shower for an event he was going to, hung ou on the big lawn and enjoyed the warm sunshine. Could have laid there forever.
Post race
Event comments:

Solvang events are beautiful, really take you out of your daily training routines and get to ride in some gorgeous country. Highly recommend these events (Prelude and Century)

Last updated: 2007-11-02 12:00 AM
Biking
03:44:00 | 63 miles | 16.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-11-27 3:16 PM

User image

Subject: Solvang Prelude Metric Century

2007-11-27 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1070674

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Solvang Prelude Metric Century

Well, your already a very strong cyclist but to hear that things that were tough the previous year were easy (Or mostly a non-issue) this year is really cool. (Your getting even stronger)

All that added power is going to really help you maintain a good pace without trashing your legs for the run next year in Phx.

And I think that Solvang as well as most of Santa Barbara County is just the coolest place to ride.  My DW grew up in SB and still lived there when we met; Definitely need to make a point to get back up there more often. (Maybe for one of these events)

Great job out there and thanks for taking the time to post your report

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Solvang Prelude Metric Century Rss Feed