General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for multiple races of different distances in the same season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-05 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
Subject: Training for multiple races of different distances in the same season
As a newb to the sport and the site I've seen a lot of people talking about the different races that they are doing during the 2008 season. Myself, I'm planning on a sprint and hopefully 2 OLY's maybe more. I'm having two surgeries in 2008, one in January and the second in March. I'll be unable to run and maybe swim for 12 weeks total.

How do you train if you're planning on doing multiple races of different distances? I haven't gotten to the periodization training part of the triathlete training bible but I'm sure that is the key from what I understand. What if you're doing a sprint and then 3 weeks later an OLY?

Any input on how you handle training for multiple events at different distances would be great!

2007-12-05 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1084930

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: Training for multiple races of different distances in the same season
Use some races for training days or take a few days off before and/or after as needed and digest em in your training plan accordingly.  If you have a race coming up during a week when plan duration or intensity is high, ease back on both to be ready for race day.
2007-12-05 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1084939

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Training for multiple races of different distances in the same season

jszat - 2007-12-05 4:10 PM Use some races for training days or take a few days off before and/or after as needed and digest em in your training plan accordingly.  If you have a race coming up during a week when plan duration or intensity is high, ease back on both to be ready for race day.

x2. You can go hard for your sprint three weeks out from your Oly. Just take it easy the few days before the sprint, and feel free to give yourself a recovery day afterwards. Or, just treat the sprint as an intense training day. In June 2007, I did a sprint with an Oly three weeks later. Feel free to look at my logs to see how I managed my training for those races. I did like a mini 3-day taper type deal for the sprint just to practice some of the stuff I would do at the end of my Oly taper (Oly was my 'A' race). I did well in both races....aside from not freakin' pushing myself hard enough of the Oly run (that was a mental thing, not a physical thing; I was prepared to do better than I had). My training volumes might just have been a little higher than you'll be doing as I had a HIM later in the season.

2007-12-05 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1084954

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

I did well in both races....aside from not freakin' pushing myself hard enough of the Oly run (that was a mental thing, not a physical thing; I was prepared to do better than I had). My training volumes might just have been a little higher than you'll be doing as I had a HIM later in the season.

Ha! I know where you are coming from.  This whole season was basically trying to race and not get hurt for MOO.  My last oly a month or so before, I didnt even want to race cuz I was sick of keeping stuff in the tank.  I felt good and uncorked it a little and was the best race of the season for me outside of doing the first IM.

To the OP, it is a good idea physically and mentally to prioritize your races and do them according to your overall long term season game plan.  For example, while hammering the heck out of my HIM would have been fun, there were bigger fish to fry so I made it a more casual day with other goals including testing nutrition and some other things (ok, had a secret goal of peeing on the bike but couldnt get er done).  So dont make every race about PRs necessarily, maybe steps or things to focus on as part of your bigger race.  Also did this at my oly by putting myself in the 2nd row of the swim to get the feel of being in the mix though a weak swimmer.  Fun stuff like that!

2007-12-05 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great thread! I am going to be doing this most like this summer. I am seriously leaning towards doing a HIM later in the summer and it would be my first HIM.

My plan was to basically train on the 20wk HIM program and treat most of my races as just training days. I will be using each race to fine tune things with the exception for Portage Lakes which will be my A race of the season. I am not sure that it is the best approach but it is the approach that I am considering.

2007-12-05 7:48 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I'd say you would want to base your training around the distance your highest priority race is. In your case I'd expect that would be one of the Oly's. If you build your training to get you ready for the OLY distance, it can be alot of fun to step down in distance. I usually use the non priority races as a training session where I'll focus on one discpline (usually bike or run) and just treat the rest as a brick.

Coming off surgery though, I'd imagine the biggest priority should be letting your body recover and heal and then recovering your base and not trying to do too much too soon and risk a setback.

Good luck.

2007-12-05 7:52 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I train for the "big" race I have planned and everything else just shows up whenever it falls .....

Before IMFL I did an irondistance aqua velo (the swim and bike of an irondistance race) then 2 weeks later ran a BQ time at a marathon and then 3 weeks later was FL.  I treated the two before the race as intense training days and gave myself about a week to recover between them and ramping up training some more.

In retrospect I would have gone a lot easier at the marathon so that I could have recovered better for FL.

2007-12-05 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
I think I'm going to make a late season OLY my A race and maybe mix in some sprints along the way. It makes sense to train for the A race and do other races as a training day of equal or lesser distance. I'm a little frustrated by the surgery in the beginning of 2008 but I moved it back more then a month to save on paying my insurance deductible twice since I'm having another surgery 6 weeks after the first. I know that it will take some time to recover and build my base back up. I just hope that it doesn't set me too far back for the entire season. I guess I should make recovery my primary goal first.
2007-12-05 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1085333

User image

Master
Denver
Mirg - 2007-12-05 7:03 PM

I think I'm going to make a late season OLY my A race and maybe mix in some sprints along the way. It makes sense to train for the A race and do other races as a training day of equal or lesser distance. I'm a little frustrated by the surgery in the beginning of 2008 but I moved it back more then a month to save on paying my insurance deductible twice since I'm having another surgery 6 weeks after the first. I know that it will take some time to recover and build my base back up. I just hope that it doesn't set me too far back for the entire season. I guess I should make recovery my primary goal first.

This sounds like a plan. As some people stated before, if your A race is a longer race, it is much easier to integrate the other races into your schedule. I did a HIM in August this year, and did Sprints beforehand, and got sick for the Oly that would have just been treated as a hard training day.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for multiple races of different distances in the same season Rss Feed