General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion Dvd???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-05 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Total Immersion Dvd????
I was just wondering if anyone had some of these dvd's and if so how much improvemen did you make from them?

Thanks for any feedback!!!

2007-12-05 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1085394

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Total Immersion Dvd????
skipg - 2007-12-05 8:45 PM I was just wondering if anyone had some of these dvd's and if so how much improvemen did you make from them? Thanks for any feedback!!!
I had the book and did a few drills but read most of the meat and I think it helped me immensly.  I would go for the DVD.  I should have done drills but got impatient.
2007-12-05 8:58 PM

User image

Regular
Erskineville
I have a Total Immersion DVD and book and found them both to be very benificial and certainly improved my swimming. I was an ok swimmer but this helped with understanding some more technical aspects of swimming. The drills were great and if you can spend some good time practicing those it will bring reward. I am a better swimmer for it all. Having said all that, Total Immersion is good but I can't compare it to many other schools of thought as it is the only stuff I have used.

Hope it helps.
2007-12-05 9:16 PM

User image

Champion
MA

My suggestion is look at other DVDs or get some coaching.

TI taught me a lot of habits I'm trying to break. There is many opinions on how to swim best. I took private TI lessons for 3-4 months in '05 and my technique is terrible and it helped me be able to get from point A to point B but not much else.

Two DVD's I like are:
Go Swim Freestyle with Karlyn Piper-Neilsen

Swim Power Synergistic Swimming-goes along with the Friel series Tri book on swimming 

2007-12-05 10:23 PM

8 weeks ago it took everything I had to swim 50 meters. After 4 weeks at 4 times per week in the pool I was no further ahead.

Bought the TI book and video.

I followed the drills as described in the book. Practiced the drills 4 times per week at 45 minutes per session.

I can now swim 800 meters in 18:20 with considerable ease.

When I first started it took me 30 strokes to do 25 meters. I can now do 25 meters in 17 strokes.

Be patient and do all the drills as specified.

I highly recommend it and wish you much success with your swim.
2007-12-05 11:34 PM
in reply to: #1085488

Elite
Denver, Colorado
KathyG - 2007-12-05 9:16 PM

Go Swim Freestyle with Karlyn Piper-Neilsen

X2. Not only is Karlyn nice to look at, making it easy to watch the DVD again and again Wink, but she has great technique. But seriously, I really do watch the DVD over and over to get a mental picture of the technique in my head. And the instruction is boiled down to 6 focus points, so you're not overthinking everything or doing endless drills on balance. It basically takes all of TI's body balance drills and condenses them into 2 focus points. Also, unlike TI, this DVD really showed me how to get power out of my pull. It suggests 3 or 4 drills to use to work on technique, and these drills are productive and worth doing. I'm not trying to bash TI because I know it's helped a lot of people, but I just got a lot more out of this DVD than I did TI.

2007-12-06 12:56 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I am a huge TI fan...TI focuses on fundamental aspects that many swimmers and "old school" coaches are lacking. Watching Freestyle Made Easy and practicing drills helped me remove the low back & neck pain I was experiencing due to poor balance.

I don't think you can progress to other techniques to continue getting faster until you maximize your balance in the water.

The TI drills (IMO) frequently compromise great underwater pull technique in order to emphasize reach and glide. But once you have become comfortable with that aspect (maybe 2 weeks, mabye 2 years), progressing to other swimming DVDs that focus on the underwater pull aspect of the stroke, like Rick/Daremo is currently learning in his lessons with Coach Sue, will be helpful.

If you watch the DVD and feel like you are already beyond those techniques, then look into more advacned videos. On the other hand, if you struggle and splash, gasp for air or feel like you are sinking or just really out of breath, go with the TI DVD.

If you've got an extra $35, get both.
2007-12-06 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
As mentioned by Adventure Bear, if your flailing in the water TI is a good product, or at least I should say it worked for me. I had no formal swim training and could muscle my way through the swim, with the TI videos I'm a much more efficient swimmer and would describe my stroke as real smooth.

That being said my speed increases seemed to have slowed down (of course I'm not real fast in any discipline), so after reading this post I ordered the Go Swim Freestyle DVD this afternoon to see what other drills, etc I can do to improve even more.

BTW I found all the TI DVD's at my local library, I have the VHS tapes from several years ago and some of there methods had changed, but not a big change. The library didn't have any other swimming DVD's to check out though, but I got to see the changes in TI without spending the $$$.
2007-12-07 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA (Sacramento)
I used TI to simply learn to swim freestyle (from no experience at all) and it worked wonderfully. However, I find increasing one's speed difficult to do by sticking with TI alone. But I highly recommend it for beginner swimmers.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion Dvd???? Rss Feed