Racing Underground
18F / -8C
Precipitation
Total Time = 56m 11s
Overall Rank = 2/172
Age Group = 40-50
Age Group Rank = 2/38
Pre-race routine:

Well I woke up and took Ramone out... It was cold and there was a fine misty snow falling. I called Mark and He said that out by the Rez the snow was sticking and it wouldn't melt off the rode by race time... If ever I needed A cross bike, today was the day. I did have Ze'ev's sweet hard tail MTN Bike in my house and for a minute I considered racing it. However it was cold and the snow was dry... I put some cheap training tubulars on my wheels the day before which happened to have decent tread, and I decided to race the TT bike. A ballsy race day move, but it turned out to be the right choice.

Anyway, Gave Sgt Vik his wake-up call and had some coffee, and ate a Fig Newton on the way to the race.
Event warmup:

I arrived to the reservoir nearly an hour before race time... It was burr cold. I found a good spot in transition and did a few strides. After that I took the bike out on the icy road to see what the feel was going to be like. It was icy, but I was pretty sure that if I took the turns stupid slow, I would stay upright... This made me happy, because for a few minutes I almost thought about bagging the ride and just doing the run.
Run
  • 24m 11s
  • 3.93 miles
  • 06m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this was going to be tough considering I had just run the California International Marathon 5 days before (personal best time) and was still pretty sore and not at all recovered. Aware that this is a great opportunity for an injury, I was intent on not going balls to the wall in this run. At the first mile I was very surprised to see that I went out a a 5:42 pace on slippery roads (lots of slide back with each step), so I backed off a bit... Once I hit the trail portion of the run I just cruised... There was a guy ahead of me and I did not attempt to track him down... I knew I was pushing my legs hard and I resisted the urge to really hammer. I also wanted to have something for the bike leg as well... The only problem with the run was I could hear Dillard breathing behind me and I would have liked a little more distance on him...
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I could have worn my Yaks for better traction and I think that would have helped, but overall I ran well considering my legs should be recovering in what is referred to as "Zero Week" in marathon recovery...
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Well this might have been the best part of the duathlon for me. I had the fastest transition of the day. This is huge considering I beat the fastest transtioner in the world, Mark Dillard... I did knock the bike rack over, but I am sure it wasn't my fault :) I barely touched my bike and the whole thing just went over... There is no way that thing was put together right...

So no, I did not attempt to fix the bike rack...

Make sure my gloves are on before riding... I actually had to ride no hands on the ice packed rode to get my gloves on... a very risky move!
Bike
  • 29m 59s
  • 10.8 miles
  • 21.61 mile/hr
Comments:

I was in 2nd place out of transition... and passed the first place guy within the first mile... he was a Fat Tire Division rider so that made it easy... I was in first place through the turn-around but I could see the Dills riding strong and tracking me down... He caught me and we rode together for about a mile. I knew that my legs had nothing and that he was going to drop me... I hung on as long as I could and then I was forced to concede the victory to my Arch Rival, training partner and one of my very best friends. At this point I was very concerned to hang on to second place and preserve the BT 1st/2nd place finish! Also, I knew that Andy Palmer - a verifiable bad a$$ - and multiple time winner at Chilly Cheeks - would be hunting me down... Luckily Andy wouldn't factor in this year as I ended up beating him by 4 minutes (he did take 3rd).

not much... I wish I could have held Mark off, but I just couldn't do it today. I'd like to blame my tired mary legs for this, but the truth is, Mark is one tough competitor and I have some work to do before Chilly Cheeks Two next month.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

My pecker was frozen like a Popsicle so I did the only thing I could do: I put my hand in my pants and melted the Popsicle (sorry for the graphic).

Went to Woohoo's Fish Taco's with about 13 fellow BTers and had two beers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Snow, ice, cold, and probably last weeks marathon.

Event comments:

I love this race series. It is a great motivational tool to keep me on my bike during the winter months. I also enjoy racing Mark. The competition is always good (like any Colorado race) and the spirit of the event is top notch.

Also, there are now so many BTers coming out that it makes it a great social gathering as well.

Word to the Dills: I'm coming to get you... I did get 20 points in this race leaving you down 2 to the Dime... I'm going to be faster next month... you better be ready to race!

Note: the race director made a race day decision to make the bike "optional" because of the road conditions. This meant that even though the bike was timed, series points were only awarded based off of the run. Because of this, I won all of the first place points. Dillard won second place points. The pressure is on Dills in Chilly Cheeks Two!

Last updated: 2007-11-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:11 | 03.93 miles | 06m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/38
Overall: 2/172
Performance: Good
155 AVG HR - way comfort zone... I normally race at about 160-164 in a 5K race.
Course: Icy road for the first 1.5 miles and then hard packed dirt trail with a small amount of snow with rolling hills for the next 1.5... then back to the road for the last .75 mile
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:02
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:29:59 | 10.8 miles | 21.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/38
Overall: 2/172
Performance: Good
158 AVG HR
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on ice and snow covered pavement.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 0/172
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-09 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon - Race 1

2007-12-09 7:16 AM
in reply to: #1090728

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: RE: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon - Race 1

GREAT job DD -- especially for your OFF week!  Doing Rudolph's Revenge next weekend?  Hope to make it to the post-race festivities next time.  I will never ever ever put my keys down in the car again

For my bday yesterday they let me win my AG on the run -- wasn't that nice of them?

2007-12-09 9:58 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Well done on the report and the race.  I have some work to do to catch you on the run, and you were on tired legs, damn Dime!   I like racing with you too.  I will come to get you again.  My transitions were slow because I thought we were going easy on the bike.  Thanks for pushing me.
2007-12-11 3:08 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Nice job tearing it up a week after a very nice performance in Sac'to.

You and Dills are going to be mixing it up all season and it is going to be fun to watch

Nicely done.

2007-12-11 9:17 PM

User image

Westminster, CO
very nice job out there!  ballsy to mount the tri bike.  I'm not sure I would have done that given the conditions.  love the gauntlet that you and Dills throw at each other!  this will make for some great spectating this upcoming season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chilly Cheeks Duathlon - Race 1 Rss Feed