Arthritis Foundation
39F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 18m 31s
Overall Rank = 4/852
Age Group = M 30 - 39
Age Group Rank = 1/??
Pre-race routine:

Got home from a X-Mas party at our friend's house full of eating and drinking around 1:30. Didn't get into bed until 2. Woke up (if you can call it that) at 6:30 to get ready to go. Took a crap while the bathroom was spinning a bit (too much white wine and no water or other fluids - oops!). Knew I was going to be in for a wonderful run ..... first race I'll have done slightly hung over - this should be interesting!
Event warmup:

2 mile warm up. Basically out and back to the 1 mile mark. It was cold, way overcast and a little misty. Quite a bit like last year! Took a Gu at 45 minutes to go and 15 minutes to go.
Run
  • 18m 31s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 05m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

First thing I noticed (besides the fact that no one else thought the road kept tilting) was that there were a lot more people that looked and sounded fast than in the last two years that I've run this. The guys next to me were all shooting for high 17's, low 18's. So the hope for defending last year's win was pretty slim, especially with the "condition" I was in. The woman I ran with last year who has won the women's title the last few years was there and she was my mark since I knew that she was a consistent mid-18 runner.

Horn goes off and the X-Country kid who took off fast last year did the same thing with another guy not far off of him. I settle in quickly with another guy who looks strong and smooth (eventual winner of the race). About a 1/4 of a mile in I'm saying "I knew I shouldn't have drank last night." He laughed and then proceeded to pick up the pace and catch the second placed guy and then the kid. Basically the last we saw of him!

I hung with the guy that was in second and we dangled about 100 meters behind the young guy, but never caught him. Mile 1 was in 5:40, then after the mile and a half mark the road goes up until all the way around 2.5 with a gradual incline. Around 2 (11:47 total time, so slowed down some) Sherri catches us. Shades of last year where I was running with her and another guy before making my move at the last turn which then lead to the downhill last 1/2 mile to get to the arena finish. The difference was we were fighting it out for 3rd overall instead of the win.

I had nothing in me this year so once we made the turn I just strode it out and tried not to lose too much time to them. I had no desire to kick so we ended finishing with the guy in our group leading in, then Sherri, then me. Same time as last year, but different result.

Thank gawd that was over! Now I could find a place to sit down and make the world stop spinning!
What would you do differently?:

Pretty easy answer here. Not drink and party until the wee hours of the morning the night before a race. And not have a chest cold hacking up lung cookies.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in the arena talking to the winner and the 3rd place guy, sipped some water and tried to breathe without coughing up my lungs. The winner is signed up for Eagleman as his first 1/2 and we chatted about that. Walked to the car to get my warmer clothes and proceeded to cough so much I gacked up my Gu almost. Lovely .....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uhh, glasses of Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio??? And this chest cold ..

Event comments:

3rd year I've done this race and it keeps growing. The field is not as strong as some of the other ones I do periodically (as can be seen by the fact I place so high in it), but I enjoy the course and it is for a good cause. I rate the race high, just not my performance today. Can't complain though, AG win and 5th overall ain't bad! Might have been able to PR if I hadn't been drunk last night. ;)

Edit: Final official results have me at an 18:31 and in 4th. But really Sherri beat me and should have been shown in 4th with me 5th.

Last updated: 2007-12-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:31 | 03.1 miles | 05m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/??
Overall: 5/852
Performance: Below average
Avg. HR - 181 Peak - 194
Course: Narrow rectangle through Canton and Fells Point. Flat first mile and a half, then long gradual uphill for a mile, downhill last 1/2 mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-09 11:01 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: Jingle Bell Run

2007-12-09 11:26 AM
in reply to: #1090890

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Jingle Bell Run
Great pace!  No drinking before races now.  LOL.  Way to kick some .
2007-12-09 3:23 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Well, maybe not an overall win, but AG is great and an A+ for entertainment! Nicely done! Seems like a sloshed holiday run is kind of an American tradition, anyway, so you're being patriotic, too. Still blazingly impressive what with the hangover and flying chest goo. 
2007-12-09 11:17 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-12-09 11:24 PM

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Stick to the beer, that wine is not good for the system....

Sounds like the lungs were more detrimental than the wine though.  Get yourself well and have a great run next week. 

2007-12-10 4:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Great run, you run faster hung over than I do with a clear head. Congrats on the AG win.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jingle Bell Run Rss Feed