Trekman Racing
24F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

my friend is the race director, so i conned my way into a free entry by volunteering to be santa. last year (which was 40°) i handed out water bottles and scratch tickets. this year i handed out running gloves and chocolate bars, much cooler. plus, hidden inside some of the gifts were gift certificates to a local running store! how cool is that?
Event warmup:

i was standing outside the heated tents and fires they had going and stood in the cold as people came to get their gifts. the gloves went a lot faster than i thought. wishing everyone luck, posing for pictures, it was great. i had these hand and foot warmer packets in my gloves and shoes, they did nothing for my toes and fingers.
soon it was time for the race to begin. being a slimer santa, i had worried that my pants were going to fall down.
Run
  • 28m
  • 2.9 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

a group of college students, eight to be excat, showed up dressed like reindeer. well, of course i have to run behind them! everyone got lined up according to speed and away we went!
so, when you dress like santa, you shouldn't expect to be in the most comfortable outfit you've ever run in. about half a mile into it, the little heat packets in my shoes started to heat up with the increased air flow. they went from "why did i buy these?" to "holy fricken inferno" in about ten seconds. after about a mile i thought they would either melt through my shoe or my foot, i stopped on the side and tried to get them out. this proved to be difficult what with the costume and staying in character. no one likes a foul mouthed santa.
after i got the lava rocks out, i tried to catch the reindeer. i wasn't planning on trying hard, especially because i haven't run in two weeks with an injury. the fake beard, apparently cold from the frozen breath growing on it, tried to find a warmer place to be by climbing into my mouth. additionally, my sunglasses were fogging up and my pants were falling down. so now i am lugging a string of bells, my yaktraks (didn't want to put them on after the heat thing) and my sunglasses in one hand, and holding my pants in the other so i don't trip and kill myself.
finally caught up to the reindeer just before the finish and they took me on home.
What would you do differently?:

suspenders for the pants, ditch the heat packets and the sunglasses, and make a snow angel halfway into the course.
Post race
Warm down:

cheered the remaining people in. ate some cookies and drank hot chocolate with strands of fake beard. handed out the awards.

Event comments:

this is a really fun race with a really positive atmosphere. this is a great way to wrap up the season and try out some winter technical gear!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-12-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:00 | 02.9 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: ice covered the roads, so we went on the snow covered trail. ran through about four inches of powder which felt like running on the beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-10 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
Subject: Snow Shuffle

2007-12-11 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1093655

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
Subject: RE: Snow Shuffle

hahaha, awesome! amusing rr as always.

I think you deserve the crown for costumed events. ho ho ho

2007-12-11 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
Sounds like a great time!  Maybe next year I'll head up there to the great frozen North ...
2007-12-12 9:15 AM

User image

Elite

I literally laughed out loud reading this race report.

Sounds like a blast! 

Well done!

2007-12-12 5:22 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Go Santa, great race report. ROTFLMAO
2007-12-15 9:06 AM

User image

Regular