General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool Training Tips for Open Water Swim? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-17 5:16 PM

User image

Newport Beach
Subject: Pool Training Tips for Open Water Swim?
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips to make my pool training any more like the open water swims I will be facing in races? Right now, I am in the very snowy and cold confines of Chicago and can't really swim outside, can't wait to get back to Southern California at the start of the new year!

I try not to push off too much at the end of the pool but its still stopping somewhat and I would imagine in an Open Water Swim I won't have that luxury.

Anything that people have done that works for them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brad

ps Finally broke 30mins in my mile swim in the pool today!

2007-12-17 5:27 PM
in reply to: #1106696

User image

Subject: RE: Pool Training Tips for Open Water Swim?

Short answer, you can't (and don't really need to at this point).  There is not much you can do in a pool to simulate OWS.  Yeah, you can swim with your eyes, closed, swim next to the wall, practice sighting, etc., but all of that will come once you can get in the OW (as it sounds like you will be able to, although swimming in California in Jan - April isn't exactly balmy).

My take on not pushing off - No, you don't push off in OW, neither do you stop every 25 yards and start again, so call it a wash.  There is no need (IMHO) whatsoever to not push off.  I know Kona qualifiers, 52 minute IM swimmers...  they all flip turn and push, doesn't seem to have impeded their OWS abilities.

If you're swimming a mile under 30, chances are your technique is pretty good.  This is the time of year to work on base fitness and get that mile to under 25

2007-12-17 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
On Saturdays they have a water aerobics class at 9am at the gym I swim at. One week I couldn't get my azz out of bed and half way through my swim they pulled the lanes and started class. There were only a few of them (fat old ladies that is, my apologies to any fat old ladies reading this) so they let me stay. I almost drowned, waves were crashing everywhere and even though I've haven't had an OWS yet I'm sure this came pretty damn close.

2007-12-17 6:23 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
One thing you can practice is doing a gator swim where you go down the pool with your head above water looking ahead. Hard to do and great practice for the mass start in OW.
2007-12-17 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

I swim in a pool sometimes that is crazy busy and has people getting in the way and thrashing around.  I hate it but I swear I am a better OW swimmer because I'm always sighting and battling tidal waves

2007-12-17 7:44 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Or get some friends and do this. (Sorry to everyone that has already seen this but it still cracks me up.)

2007-12-17 9:05 PM
in reply to: #1106721

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Mirg - 2007-12-17 3:31 PM

On Saturdays they have a water aerobics class at 9am at the gym I swim at. One week I couldn't get my azz out of bed and half way through my swim they pulled the lanes and started class. There were only a few of them (fat old ladies that is, my apologies to any fat old ladies reading this) so they let me stay. I almost drowned, waves were crashing everywhere and even though I've haven't had an OWS yet I'm sure this came pretty damn close.

x2

I call them the walruses, and they're not all old! It's amazing what turbulences they can create! Before they get started you can usually spot them by their eye-glasses (not goggles) and sometimes, in the outdoor pool, even visors and hats (not swim caps)

Hey, at least they're off the sofa and in the water moving in some fashion, right? But they did tick me off one day when they asked me to splash less! I really do not splash at all compared to most swimmers, ahem, but one of them must have gotten her make-up or poofy hair-do messed up. OMG! [makes screeching sound]

2007-12-17 10:24 PM

User image

Newport Beach
Thanks for the TIPS, and Hilarious commercial and Water Aerobics.

The Water Aerobics "ladies" are pretty terrifying, However I do like their fashion sense! I didn't know they still made Bathing Coustumes!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool Training Tips for Open Water Swim? Rss Feed