General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sore shoulder Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-19 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: sore shoulder
I just starting swimming a few months ago and since then have been hitting the pool usually 3x a week for about an hour to hour and a half. I've been training with a buddy who is coaching me the right way to swim since im a total newb swimmer. Over the last month my right shoulder has been a little sore, it's nothing crazy just sore when I do certain motions but fine when I do others. Usually if it's sore i'll take a few days off from swimming and it's fine, but today I had to cancel my lesson cause it's been bothering me for 3 days and I don't wanna make it worse. Is this normal for beginners? should I swim less?

thanks

2007-12-19 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1110301

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: RE: sore shoulder

It could be a matter of overtraining for your level, but more likely due to swim technique that needs improvement. 

Take a few days off to rest the shoulder.  Then, assuming your buddy is a good swimming teacher, have him look at your stroke and see what you might be doing wrong.  Worry about technique (ie, do drills) and maintaining good technique (ie, don't swim too fast or too long) until you're swimming without shoulder issues.

Good luck!

2007-12-19 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois

I have lived with shoulder problems for over 20 years. So I have a little experience. It could be from your swimming. If your crossing your arm over your center line as you swim, if your using paddles, or if you are trying to do to much to quickly. It could several other things swimming related.

I looked at your logs and saw that you lift weights. You can have the pain from that. If you do dips, bench press or do shoulder exercises where you push the weight over your head you can be stressing the joint. Instead of lifting weights for strength I like to do a couple of yoga poses. First is the down dog. Look up an image of it and try to hold that pose for as long as you can. Another pose I like is the up position of a push up. Just hold that as long as possible as well. I found that I no longer experience any pain and my shoulders are as strong as ever without lifting a weight.

2007-12-19 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
thanks everyone, according to my coach my stroke is good, it's just other things I have to focus on like my breathing and kicking. And I don't cross my centerline and rarely use paddles. Although I do lift some weights in the off season, the shoulder pain came much after I started with the weights so i assumed it was the amount of swimming I was doing. But I will take your advice and ditch any lifting that may affect my shoulder and see if that helps.

Thanks again
2007-12-20 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1110720

New user

I had a dull ache after swimming in my left shoulder for a few weeks and it literally disappeared after I started drilling my technique and, in turn, learned how to better use my lats/hips vs. my shoulders for propulsion. It went away in a matter of two sessions - thank god!
2007-12-20 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Don't do any butterfly.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sore shoulder Rss Feed