General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan for DURING Race Season? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-28 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA
Subject: Training Plan for DURING Race Season?

I've seen a variety of training plans on this website that lead you UP to race season.  Does anyone know of any resources for training plans DURING race season?  Or can anyone share any formulas for volume during race season and how to build a plan around "A" and "B" races?

Thanks!

2007-12-28 2:33 PM
in reply to: #1120435

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Training Plan for DURING Race Season?

The training plans aren't designed to lead you up to season of racing. They're designed to lead you up to a specific A priority race. B priority races can be inserted into that training period, with a mini-taper of 3 or 4 days, followed by a resumption of the training volume called for in the plan.

So for instance, if you were using the Olympic - 2x Balanced - 20 Week plan, it's assumed that you're training for an Olympic distance race on the 4th weekend of month 5. If you wanted to do a Sprint in week 4 of month 3 you could do the following substitutions to do a short taper:

Month 3

WeekMTWTHFSS
35-Swim
Off58-Swim
30-Swim

35-Run
20-Run

117-Bike
50-Bike/
10-Run
Brick

Off58-Run
B Race
70-Bike

Note: Most of our training plans are volume based, so the numeric values are the length of the workout in minutes.

2007-12-28 9:34 PM
in reply to: #1120788

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA
I'm doing a plan that will get me up to my first race, which will be approx May.  But then I have the rest of the summer of racing and wonder how to design my volume around that.  Maybe just continue same plan as the peak month, and add 10% each month over the summer?  Hmm.
2007-12-29 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1121487

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

That could work very well. I'd pick another A race and work backward from that date. I just took a look at your training log and the volume you'll be building up towards would be manageable even with the 10% increase.

There are some that might recommend increasing the intensity of your workouts after your first race, but that's something to be decided then. You're going at slower paces (like I was when I started) and you'll get the most benefit from just putting in the time and keeping up the awesome consistency that you've maintained this month. Well done.

2008-04-21 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1120435

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

Hi Mike,

Me again!  (I didn't realize you're in Rochester til just now when I checked your blog; my sister is there too, she's a staff photographer for the local paper there.)

So I have 2 more weeks left in my 20 week balanced sprint training plan and my first race is May 4, and I've been thinking about what I should do in terms of training plan for the rest of the summer. 

I took a look at duplicating the incremental increases in volume on the 20 week plan, and adding that volume to each month going forward.  BUT that creates huge rides/runs/swims that I don't think I need for little sprint races.  (Like in the first month after this last month, I'll have 80+ min rides, just too much I think.)

I'm thinking maybe I'll just add a minute every week to each discipline, and back off every third week, and taper for race weeks.

I figure that's better than sitting on the couch; and I'm hoping that I'll still yield improvements.  Since it's my first year, I'm just trying to spend the time doing what I need to do; I'm not focussing on getting fast for the time being, just surviving comfortably!

Think that'll work?

Really appreciate your support!

Edited by newbiedana 2008-04-21 9:50 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan for DURING Race Season? Rss Feed