General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Specific Wetsuits Vs. Surfing Wetsuits Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-30 8:54 PM

User image

Newport Beach
Subject: Tri Specific Wetsuits Vs. Surfing Wetsuits
Just wanted to know if there is a huge difference between a tri specific wetsuit and the wetsuit I wear to surf in? Living in So Cal I usually surf in a 3/2 fullsuit.

Doing a little research its seems like the higher end Tri suits have panels for increased float but I can't believe that Tri suit materials are as good or stretchy as my E2 Bomb from Rip Curl, that might be unfair since I used to work for them!

Just wanted to get your thoughts on whether its worth it to invest in one....

Thanks

2007-12-30 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1123406

Subject: RE: Tri Specific Wetsuits Vs. Surfing Wetsuits
The biggest difference is going to be that each is cut for the specific mechanics of the two sports. The tri wetsuit is going to be cut to allow you to pull your arms through your stroke in a motion near your midline and allow a heavy overhand recovery (note that a swimmer can rotate quite a bit during swimming that a surfer does not do). A surfer is generally pulling straight through at shoulder width (sometimes even more depending on the width of the board) and doesn't require that same flexibility there as surfers generally don't pull through under the board.

The swimming or tri suits also usually have additional thickness material for flotation in the chest area and legs as well as a very nonporous material across the chest for decreased resistance.

Bottom line is...try it out and see. The biggest concerns would be the flexibility you mentioned (unrestricted is the aim) through the complete stroke, the seals (especially at the neck and wrists), no excess material causing significant folds (ie drag) and the ease to take it off. Surf wetsuits in general are not meant to be removed quickly and trying to take off a tight suit fatigues and with cold hands can be very frustrating.

Remember the wetsuit should a tool for improvement in your times. So, I'd suggest you time yourself in a pool (to reduce any variables) over a 250-300 meter distance with the suit and without to find the difference. If you can swim faster without it, you might reconsider using a surfing wetsuit as most properly fitting tri wetsuits will reduce your time.

Mark

2007-12-30 10:15 PM

User image

Melon Presser

x2 to Mark's post. Super reply.

I've swum in both and there's a big difference with a tri wetsuit. This is predicated on your swim style being in fairly good form, though ... if in a pool, you pretty much straight-paddle like you would on a surfboard, you may not notice that much difference. The arm extension, close-to-body pull, and body rotation for swimming are all very different.

You can rent a tri wetsuit and see for yourself; then, I'd say if you have the money (and there are some GREAT deals out there) it's definitely worth the purchase.

Good luck! I can see you're close by ... maybe we'll run into each other during a race sometime!

2007-12-31 8:19 AM

User image

Newport Beach
Thank you for the Info guys.

I agree that the mechanics are going to be different and I think I will rent one to check it out for myself. To be honest I have never tried an OWS in my surf wetsuit. Ill be back in So Cal in mid Jan so Ill have to check it out. A little too cold to try out at my parents place in Chicago.

TriAya where do you usually go to train for OWS? I am trying to find places and people to train with so its not as daunting as braving it alone.

2007-12-31 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
Also, aren't surf wetsuit's "shorty's" thus having no or little material on the legs?? If so you will loose the buoyance you get with tri suit's.
2007-12-31 10:38 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
no one has mentioned the finish. tri suits are slick on the outside. surf suits don't need to be, so they aren't

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Specific Wetsuits Vs. Surfing Wetsuits Rss Feed