Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Looking to buy an inexpensive, small, and entry-level bicycle Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-31 8:14 AM

Subject: Looking to buy an inexpensive, small, and entry-level bicycle
Hello everyone!

I am very new to the world of triathlons...I have not competed in one yet... I am hoping to compete in one in the summer of 2008

I am about 5 feet tall and I am looking to buy an entry-level road bike. I live in Toronto, Ontario. Anyone out there selling a bike? I am willing to spend about $500. I realize that to some of you that sounds really cheap and unrealistic, but I am really not trying to break the bank. I am just looking to "tri" something new!

Thank you for tips or words of advice you can offer.

2007-12-31 1:10 PM
in reply to: #1123984

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Looking to buy an inexpensive, small, and entry-level bicycle
My friend's daughter got a motobecane bike off ebay. It was aluminum, had aero bars, spd pedals and tiagra components. It was $497 plus $40 shipping, since it is by mail you would have to put it together yourself or take it to the LBS.

Good luck, hope you find the bike you need.

Larry
2008-01-03 1:01 PM

Toronto
I wish you the best of luck on your quest. I'm 4'11" and I had a brutal time finding a bike that fit me. I'm doing my first tri this year, so I'm not even going to look for a racing bike yet...I'm going to stick with the hybrid that I have, and if I become hooked...then the new challenge is on.

My biggest challenge was trying to find a shop that would even make the effort to see if any manufacturers made bikes to fit me. I did pay more than $500 in the end.
2008-01-05 9:15 AM

Yeah Crys,

I am starting to think that it may come to that...

Someone's sent me this link:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/miragesport.htm

It's a 44cm frame bike and the price seems alright. But then the exchange, taxes and the shipping needs to be added...

I will email them to see what it could all add up to...

2008-01-06 8:40 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-24 5:13 PM

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Ditto on the bike show, and ditto on the used bike.

Used bikes are good because if you try the sport and don't like it, you can resell it for pretty much the same as you paid.

Either that, or spend $300 on a road bike that will last you two seasons and if you want to upgrade or sell... well you haven't lost much.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Looking to buy an inexpensive, small, and entry-level bicycle Rss Feed