Marathon Maniacs
41F / 5C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 31m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Coffee and oatmeal, drank about 20 ounces of zipfizz electrolyte drink.
Event warmup:

Walked around, sat in truck to be warm.
Run
  • 4h 31m 28s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

This marathon is run on my home turf. Train on the trail regularly, so there were no suprises. Though it was a mental challenge to not freak doing a second lap (knowing I had to do California street twice and the Firehouse ravine twice).

At the start, we did a quick loop through the park, so decided to do a quick stop into the restroom, and was able to catch up to the back of the pack. Wasn't to worried about running by myself, actually I came to like this, since there was only about 50-60 runners and most had left me in the dust. I paced off on girl for about 4 miles and but let her go at the Clayton beach turn around. Felt good about the pace, No constant mile markers, except for the trail markers. Caught a couple of splits saying I was doing 9:50 split mile times. Was drinking 20 ounces of accerade mix for the first loop and noticed I had drips of sweat coming off the bill of the hat at the 13 mile mark.

Was carrying a 2 bottle FUEL BELT kit, and at the start, felt that it was bouncing to much on my hips. So I carried one of the bottles. Never had that happen during training runs????

So I hit the 13.1 at 2:05, very happy with the split. Felt ok, except that I had a numb foot from around mile 5 to mile 9. Same thing that has happend to me in the last few long training runs. Also it happened a couple years back on a constant basis. (Shoes are either old and worn out or it is the weight factor?) (This was the 4th marathon for my Asics 2120s)

Getting back on the main trail, had to walk California Street hill, it's short , about 200 yards but steep. Most people walk it. (although, I would like to see the front of the packers do it. see what their stride and cadence is) The continueing mantra that I had in my head during the second lap, was I was much closer to the finish than I was to the start. Something about diminishing steps or One step closer to the finish. Thoughts of eating pizza or getting to drink some red wine new years eve. Plus I had to go back to work around 4:30 for 4 hours.

As my stride shorten, I notice I was getting a few pebbles in the shoes. Had to stop one to get some out. With an out an back race, you get to see where others are and give encouragement. Marathon Maniacs and others were very friendly (more of a fun run than an all out race)
Did have get around a family that were walking their dogs (not leashed)and had to swerve on to the muddy edge of trail when one ofthe big mutts wandered into me. The dad was to busy speaking (slavic/russian????)to his little kid who was picking his nose or something. And the nobody was minding the dogs. Not much harm but an irritant to the mental focus.

As the miles went on the second lap, leg strenght/stride was starting to falter, that 16 miles to about 23 miles, was really hard. Stopped twice to walk and to finish up my gel and drink some water. Body was hurting, felt spacey a few times. I think I was hurting from not having any more electroyte stuff. I noticed I was dripping any sweat off my bill of the hat on second lap. Not sure what that meant.

Finally got to the last 2 miles of the home stretch and just kept chugging along. The mental fight to run and not walk was a battle. Finally got to the park and always the smell of the finish gives you enough energy to finish with a smile. Wife was there taking photos and dogs and the dogs were straining the lease to run with me. WOOF.

I asked Mary the race director if the course was accurate and she said Parks department said yea. Hmmm I still wonder.......

What would you do differently?:

Nothing much, maybe take along some e-caps or something like that. Continue to get some more long runs in training.

Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled to the parking lot and got into truck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

weight. I weighed 220 at morning wakeup butt naked. Than I had my coffee and oatmeal, plus 20 ounces of zippfizz drink before the race.
Had 4 hammer gels and approx 50 ounces of fluids during the race. When I got home, I weighed in at 218.5 butt naked.

so i need to drop some weight and get ahandle on this issue for my spring races.

Event comments:

It's a no frills, no shirt, no medal, although some kid was handing out mardi gras style beads with Happy New Year on it. Limited supplies, at the finish and turnaround. So it is for the experienced and hardcore runner.

It gave me the opportunity to get my 3 marathons in 3 months achieved, now just waiting to see If I can get approved by the MMs.

Last updated: 2007-12-31 12:00 AM
Running
04:31:28 | 26.2 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
No HRM. Old one is toast, and don't know when I'll get a new model.
Course: Fairhaven Park to Larrebee Park/Clayton Beach Parking lot, out and back two laps. All trail surface except for pavement on the California Street section.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-01-01 3:01 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Last Chance Marathon

2008-01-01 6:27 PM
in reply to: #1126318

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois
Subject: RE: Last Chance Marathon
Great job!  You did the 3 in 3.  Excellent.  I'm joining you in the weightloss resolution.. I have about 35 lbs to still loose.  Good luck with it!
2008-01-01 7:07 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA
Congrats!!!  You did it....nice job and report. 
2008-01-01 9:36 PM

User image

Australia
Well done - 3 marathons in 3 months!! That's amazing!!!
2008-01-02 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Great job Spence, and great pace for a trail run! Cheers to the New Year!
2008-01-02 4:19 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
3 in 3 months, wow! Nice work!

2008-01-02 6:36 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Cool, another maniac

I just got in with my Triple last month. (I am #754)

Great job out there

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Last Chance Marathon Rss Feed