General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frankendrink(tm) Recipe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-19 8:11 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: Frankendrink(tm) Recipe
I'm still working on the secret formula for Frankengel(tm) - some success, some failure. It finally doesn't taste like shortening, but it's still opaque... So, I figured in the meantime to appease the masses, I'd pass along a recipe I've been using for a sports drink.

- One gallon of water
- One packet of Kool Aid
- 6.5 teaspoons of sugar (brown, bleached, etc.) - or you can use 8 teaspoons of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (i prefer kosher salt, but sea salt will do)
- 1.5 cups plus 1 teaspoon of maltodextrin

It comes out to about 80 cents for a gallon of sports drink - not too bad. Using one packet of Kool Aid instead of 2 gives it a lighter flavor (much unlike Kool Aid). You could substitute any other simple sugar for the regular sugar too (but stay away from lactose if, um, you know, you're missing the required enzymes to handle it). A 16 oz serving (this makes 8 servings) has approx 100 calories from 26g of carbs. If you wanted to make a "recovery" drink, I suppose you could add some soy protein, whey protein or something like that... You'd have to look at the protein container, but somewhere around 10 tablespoons (for the whole gallon) should give you 16g of protein per 16 oz of drink.

You can probably buy some maltodextrin at someplace like GNC, but it'll cost you. I buy mine at my local homebrew store, but www.leeners.com has a decent price on it too ($2 a pound if I remember right - a pound is just under 4 cups). Look under Homebrewing, then Malt Extracts.

-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2004-11-19 8:14 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frankendrink(tm) Recipe Rss Feed