High 54F
Low 40F

Tuesday - January 15

Bike
  • 1h 10m
  • 17.00 miles
  • 14.57 Mi/hr

5:00 PM
I LOVE my new shoes, cleats, and pedals!!
It was difficult to keep my T.I.T.S. soft, and not hard. But, alas, I can enjoy some hard T.I.T.S. later this week.
Amazing how much stronger my stroke was, with my new equipment.

Swim
  • 30m
  • 1100.00 meters
  • 02m 44s /100 meters

12:00 NOON
Long, slow distance

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 33m

5:15 AM
Ankle PT

Fun in the swimming pool... got in the water, started my HRM, messed around with my goggles, looked down and saw that my HR was 57 BPM... I think my body is rested up...

I picked up a pedal wrench (who knew) while I was out over lunch, and changed my pedals. The shoes seem to comfortably engage/disengage... tonight I will have the maiden voyage with the new power train, if you will.

Ah, nothing like a little bike chain grease, and a slightly skinned knuckle to make one strut.
-----------
Yesterday became a total rest day for me. I went to the LBS to buy new bike shoes... I consistently get numb toes after biking for three or more hours in my current shoes because the toe box is not spacious enough.

Then, my tri coach recommended SPD multi-directional cleats to help with my tendon concerns relative to clipless pedals (since that was a contributor to my tendon tear). Coincidently, since she and I talked the previous week, I had started to wonder if SPD was the way to go because I don't have issues using them in spinning class.

So, I picked up a new set of SPD MD pedals and cleats. I was confident that I could remove the pedals myself, so I brought them home to do it myself last night. But, alas, I do not have any metric wrenches... during my lunch hour swim I will be going back to the LBS to get a pedal tool (and to make sure that both pedals 'loosen to the back of the bike'), and to get any pointers that they may recommend.

Then, tonight will be some GENTLE T.I.T.S.

Happiness is...

• I love my new cycling stuff
  • Needing to get a new tool, which is now safely with my other tools
  • Being incredibly silly
  • Yakking on the phone with a friend, making up for time without having a chance to talk

• Calories: 793 From fat:185.21 (18.91g, 23.36%), From Carbs:497.31 (114.22g, 62.71%), Protein:110.48 (25.37g, 13.93%)

Monday - January 14

Today will be a rest day. Some ankle PT when I get home tonight, and probably some very gentle yoga.

Thank heavens L reminds us to take it easy on our bodies after our Sunday rides... And, she gave a gentle reminder to those of us in the class who might have body composition changes on our mind, that this is a week for recovery, and not to even think about losing fat. As she put it, we want to make sure that we train our legs to like the extreme exertion / recovery cycle... to not make them work really hard, and then starve them for the next week. ... rather convenient that I will be going out to lunch with a co-worker (heh, heh, heh).

Happiness is...

• A rest day
  • New bike shoes, pedals, cleats
  • A gorgeous, sunny day... in spite of the accompanying chilly temps
  • Seeing friends getting their groove back
  • A carefree day of eating... left over luscious dark chocolate cake from the customer visit... mmmm.  Hey, I needed to replenish the glycogen stores in my body.  NO guilt, just incredible pleasure!

• Calories: 1886 From fat:412.99 (47.9g, 21.9%), From Carbs:1138.53 (297.09g, 60.37%), Protein:334.48 (87.28g, 17.74%)

Sunday - January 13

Bike
  • 5h 00m
  • 70.00 miles
  • 14.00 Mi/hr

1:00 YWCA
LOTS of interval workout for the middle three hours!

Strength
  • 1h 00m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Crunches, Lying Oblique
  • BACK - One Arm Row
  • BICEPS - Pulley Curls
  • CHEST - Alternate DB Press
  • LEGS - Hamstring Curls (Cable)
  • TRICEPS - Machine Extensions

8:00 with K

On tap for today:

8 am: meet K at the gym to lift weights
9 am: follow K to her house to interact with the litter of 10, two-week old Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies
10:45 am: get sniffed up one side and down the other by Chelsea
11:30 am: take Chelsea to her pet-sitter's so that they can hang together
1-6 pm: massive T.I.T.S. at the YWCA

OH, the little puppies were SO cute... I had one in my hands for about half an hour... she was snoozing the entire time, with little puppy dreams going on.
But, oh WOW, I have never had a dog body slam me into the wall before. The bitch and sire were just a WEE bit protective of the babies.... and I had still not come within six feet of the whelping box!
The mama was a jumper, but not a pinner. Papa came flying into the room, jumped up and pinned me to the wall. I was just a WEE bit nervous, especially since K had told me ahead of time that they were used by South African farmers to keep LIONS at bay!
But, her husband, G, gave me some dog biscuits, and I rapidly became friends with the dogs.
THEN it was okay for me to greet the babies.
WHEW!

Saturday - January 12

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 14.00 miles
  • -----

10:45 AM
T.I.T.S. with Fergie, baby!

Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • 2200.00 meters
  • 02m 44s /100 meters

8:00 AM
WU: 200m breast stroke
Swim: 2000m free style

I believe I have made another quantum leap in my freestyle technique.  I have been trying to do bilateral breathing: one breath every third stroke.  This is great, but it prevents me from being able to do more than 4-6 laps without needing a rest.  Well, I decided to try unilateral breathing, but to switch sides with each length of the pool. Voila, incredible ease, and I was able to string together 12 laps at the end of my session, without stopping, without being winded at any point.  So, I am going to accept that, for now, I will allow myself to use unilateral breathing until I really build up some endurance... as in, swim a full 1600m without stopping THEN, I will start challenging myself to work on unilateral, once again.

I treated myself on the way back from the gym, and Caribou Coffee, and Panera's Bread (had to pick up a loaf of asiago bread to take to friends' today to have with our chili during the Packer's game).
I decided to get down with my bad self, and I bought Fergie's CD... too much fun... time to put on my bike shorts and grabs some T.I.T.S. with Fergie... um, yeah... sounds really good to me ;)

Oh, N&A's little guy is so sweet... he has just started crawling, and he is already spending a lot more time on his knees... walking is not going to be that far away!

Happiness is...

• Green Bay Packers dominated today's playoff game versus Seattle!!!
  • Another paradigm shift relative to my freestyle technique
  • Going to friends' house to watch the game, today... I get to play with their dog and their 10 mo. old son... way fun!
  • Record high for workout time in a week = 806 mins / 13h 26m

Friday - January 11

Bike
  • 30m
  • -----
  • -----

6:30 PM TEAM

Run
  • 32m
  • 2.25 miles
  • -----

6:00 PM TEAM

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 30m

5:00 AM
Ankle PT

Something that I ate yesterday has really messed up my digestive tract... ugh. I think it was one of the hardboiled eggs... a crack formed in the shell while it was being boiled, which might be the culprit. I have never had problems with this before, but it is the only "weird" thing that I ingested yesterday.

Happiness is...

• The next 5-hr indoor group T.I.T.S. is this coming Sunday - I cannot wait!!!
  • FINALLY had my passport photo taken so that I can renew my passport for work. I actually like the image: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/profile/images/10429-photo.jpg

• Calories: 1964 From fat:465.12 (50.37g, 23.68%), From Carbs:963.67 (234.81g, 49.07%), Protein:535.21 (130.41g, 27.25%)

Thursday - January 10

Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 21.00 miles
  • -----

5:55 PM
Bike Trainer

Swim
  • 44m
  • 1600.00 meters
  • 02m 45s /100 meters

11:50 AM
Incorporated speed-based intervals with my freestyle.

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 25m

Ankle PT

On tap for today: getting wet during lunch, and then T.I.T.S. time after work.

The side-lunge rotations that the chiro had me do yesterday, plus the hip adjustment have left the muscles in my lower back just a wee bit tender... but it is a good soreness.

Happiness is...

• Newborn baby polar bears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVy4qpCDOC4

• D is back from China, and has tons of photos - I cannot wait to compare notes!

• Calories: 2116 From fat:392.98 (43.84g, 18.57%), From Carbs:1288.5 (323.4g, 60.89%), Protein:434.52 (109.06g, 20.53%)

Wednesday - January 9

Run
  • 30m
  • 2.50 miles
  • -----

7:00 PM
After TEAM

Strength
  • 1h 00m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Crunches, Lying Oblique
  • BACK - One Arm Row
  • BICEPS - Pulley Curls
  • CHEST - Alternate DB Press
  • LEGS - Hamstring Curls (Cable)
  • LEGS - Squats
  • LEGS - Walking Lunges
  • TRICEPS - Machine Extensions

6:00 PM TEAM

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 45m

Ankle PT

Ah, a day of rest does wonders, I was awake at 4, but lounged until 4:30 before crawling out of bed, feeling refreshed and ready to go.

I had thought that I could go to the gym over lunch today, but I have my chiro appointment this morning, and will be getting into work too late, so I don't feel comfortable then going to the gym over lunch, since I need to leave on time for TEAM.

The chiro requested copies of my early 2007 foot-ankle X-rays and MRI so that he could better understand my goofy lower body.
Well... I have just learned to ALWAYS ask for the written report from the Dr. I picked up my records, including a three page detailed report from the MRI... my podiatrist simply told me that I had a longitudinal tear in my peroneus brevis, and tendonitis and the pbt of both feet... WELL, after reading the report (using Wikipedia for foot anatomy info), there is a HECK of a lot of funkiness going on in my feet / ankles... it will be interesting to hear what the chiro has to say when he has a chance to read through and review the material that I will be giving him... no WONDER I have pain and ankle instability - yikes! It also explains why I had so much pain in the balls of my feet when I was in my teens - "chronic fractures" in the big toe area. Doesn't hurt now, but it hurt like heck, back then!

Happiness is...

• Snow is back in the forecast!
  • Hump day!
  • A great run on the treadmill

• Calories: 2410 From fat:589.88 (65.44g, 24.48%), From Carbs:1115.64 (278.45g, 46.29%), Protein:704.47 (175.83g, 29.23%)

Yoganerd's Training Log

January 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned