• -----

6:15 PM
Treadmill

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 25m

7:30 PM
Ankle PT

I am back on schedule with respect to getting up early. It felt great to get into the gym before today's meetings start. And, the bonus is that the Australian Open was being broadcast, which made for a wonderful workout.

Tonight I need to do my PT, and I am really leaning towards a second workout - either at the gym, or perhaps some yoga... so I don't fall incredibly far behind on that challenge. In fact, I just took a look at the number of minutes worked out this week... my butt WILL be working out, for at least an hour tonight.

Happiness is...

• Seeing all of the guys who are on the ASHRAE BACnet committee
  • Not being locked in the very crowded meeting room any longer
  • Running off the stupor created by a long day of discussing improvements to the Standard
  • 15 hours of workouts this week - woo hoo!

Friday - January 18

Bike
  • 30m
  • 8.00 miles
  • -----

3:15
Bike

Run
  • 30m
  • 2.25 miles
  • -----

2:40 PM
Treadmill

Strength
  • 11m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Crunches
  • ABS - Knee-Raise, Hanging
  • BACK - Back extensions

3:50 PM

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 27m

7:00 AM (yup, a bit late, today)
Ankle PT - abbreviated
Quad work

Oh, wow... I am a puddle right now.... I just had a massage from the most wonder woman from Taiwan. The technique was shiatsu / thai / deep tissue. I have had deep tissue massages before, but the two additional techniques made this beyond description. As the massage therapist, Shichi, said as she was leaving the room, "you look transformed"... I looked in the mirror and, holy cow, I don't think there is an ounce of tension in my body or in my face... even my breathing is deeper, and incredibly more relaxed

The massage was big bucks, but worth every penny... I am now trying to decide if I should schedule one more session with her... I will sleep on that thought, and decide in the morning.

So... I will be melting my way to the bed to relax, and await the order of sushi that is being delivered from the local asian restaurant... purrrrrrrr

... lots of water will be consumed to flush out all of the toxins and other crud that was released...

Ah, the best of intentions.
I guess I am a WEE bit exhausted after being awake at 3:30 yesterday, and the "long" trip, yesterday.
I had planned to get up really early to work out, but I reset my alarm a couple of times.
Fortunately, meetings do not start until 9 and are scheduled to end in the mid-afternoon. So, that will give me time for PT this morning, and then heading to the gym after today's meetings.

Ah, the "I'm on the road" eating obstacle course has begun... I had oatmeal for breakfast and it was disgustingly soupy. I had to dig in to the beef jerky that I brought along. Thank heavens I brought along some bottles of V8, granola bars, protein powder and more beef jerky...

Happiness is...

• A FANTASTIC fitness center at the gym... I cannot wait to go, again, tomorrow
  • A shiatsu / thai / deep tissue massage...
  • Wonderful New Yorkers - some of the best people in the world!
  • A good first day of meetings

Thursday - January 17

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 15.00 miles
  • -----

5:00 AM

Sport #1
  • Physical Therapy
  • 35m

4:00 AM
Ankle PT
Quad PT - experimentation

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 40m

4:00 AM
Ankle PT
Quad PT - experimentation

So, I do believe that I have had another light bulb go off - this time with respect to my cycling technique. Scott told me yesterday, that I need to let the big muscles do the work - quads, not calves. Well, the light bulb turned on when I had a "duh" moment of "gee, I should ALSO concentrate on using my hamstrings and glutes".

In other words... my quads, hamstrings, and glutes are the piston, and my lower legs are simply the crank arm that transfers power from the piston to the transmission. They just go along for the ride.
Now, I WILL give some credit for the awareness to using cleats, because the power is transferred with minimal transmission loss.

Alrighty, then. I was wide awake at 3:30 this morning. No sense in trying to sleep, because this gives me a jump start to NY's time zone.

On tap for today:
Get off of BT and do my PT while watching the Aussie Open
T.I.T.S. with Artemis because it will be a week before I see her, again
Catch the taxi to the airport and fly to NYC to spend the next week

Happiness is...

• Enjoying my T.I.T.S. at the same time that tnickerson and nancschneids were enjoying theirs
  • Yippee! Trip to NYC
  • Safely arriving at my hotel, checking in, and now enjoying some time unwinding before tomorrow's meetings
  • Moments of enlightenment

• Calories: 1107 From fat:416.29 (46g, 37.6%), From Carbs:325.83 (81.01g, 29.43%), Protein:364.88 (90.72g, 32.96%)

Wednesday - January 16

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 50m

5:30 AM
Ankle PT

7:00 PM
Knee-Quad work

I see Dr. Scott this morning for the usual tune-ups. I will be discussing my "biking knee" issue with him. And, even more exciting, is that I will be getting more ingredients for my post-workout drink... I can feel the muscle recovery, now!

Tonight will be a weightlifting session in TEAM, and probably 30 minutes of light cardio, afterwards.

So, Scott is of the opinion that my knee pain is a combination of my incredibly tight calves, and the fact that I need to strengthen all four muscles that comprise the quadriceps in each leg. My outer muscles in the group are stronger than the inner muscles, contributing to muscle imbalance, and potential stress on the patella.

Ha! One of my homework assignments is to hook up with the massage therapist at the hotel and have them work on my calves - OKAY! Now, how do I find a way to squeeze that into my expense report?? (darn ethics)

So... I am to do quad exercises... until my quads burn... and then do more. Here I was so proud of how my quads felt and looked... and now I will be spending more time with them. As he joked, I might just have to quit my job and do my PT exercises full time!

Happiness is...

• Additional exercises to help increase my preparation for triathlons
  • Going to NYC tomorrow
  • My marine nephew is back in the States after being in Japan for 6 months
  • My other nephew has a big role in his HS production of Seussical
  • Loving each person for their own individual interests and talents

• Calories: 1707 From fat:402.16 (44.98g, 23.56%), From Carbs:897.75 (225.92g, 52.59%), Protein:407.09 (102.45g, 23.85%)

Tuesday - January 15

Bike
  • 1h 10m
  • 17.00 miles
  • 14.57 Mi/hr

5:00 PM
I LOVE my new shoes, cleats, and pedals!!
It was difficult to keep my T.I.T.S. soft, and not hard. But, alas, I can enjoy some hard T.I.T.S. later this week.
Amazing how much stronger my stroke was, with my new equipment.

Swim
  • 30m
  • 1100.00 meters
  • 02m 44s /100 meters

12:00 NOON
Long, slow distance

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 33m

5:15 AM
Ankle PT

Fun in the swimming pool... got in the water, started my HRM, messed around with my goggles, looked down and saw that my HR was 57 BPM... I think my body is rested up...

I picked up a pedal wrench (who knew) while I was out over lunch, and changed my pedals. The shoes seem to comfortably engage/disengage... tonight I will have the maiden voyage with the new power train, if you will.

Ah, nothing like a little bike chain grease, and a slightly skinned knuckle to make one strut.
-----------
Yesterday became a total rest day for me. I went to the LBS to buy new bike shoes... I consistently get numb toes after biking for three or more hours in my current shoes because the toe box is not spacious enough.

Then, my tri coach recommended SPD multi-directional cleats to help with my tendon concerns relative to clipless pedals (since that was a contributor to my tendon tear). Coincidently, since she and I talked the previous week, I had started to wonder if SPD was the way to go because I don't have issues using them in spinning class.

So, I picked up a new set of SPD MD pedals and cleats. I was confident that I could remove the pedals myself, so I brought them home to do it myself last night. But, alas, I do not have any metric wrenches... during my lunch hour swim I will be going back to the LBS to get a pedal tool (and to make sure that both pedals 'loosen to the back of the bike'), and to get any pointers that they may recommend.

Then, tonight will be some GENTLE T.I.T.S.

Happiness is...

• I love my new cycling stuff
  • Needing to get a new tool, which is now safely with my other tools
  • Being incredibly silly
  • Yakking on the phone with a friend, making up for time without having a chance to talk

• Calories: 793 From fat:185.21 (18.91g, 23.36%), From Carbs:497.31 (114.22g, 62.71%), Protein:110.48 (25.37g, 13.93%)

Monday - January 14

Today will be a rest day. Some ankle PT when I get home tonight, and probably some very gentle yoga.

Thank heavens L reminds us to take it easy on our bodies after our Sunday rides... And, she gave a gentle reminder to those of us in the class who might have body composition changes on our mind, that this is a week for recovery, and not to even think about losing fat. As she put it, we want to make sure that we train our legs to like the extreme exertion / recovery cycle... to not make them work really hard, and then starve them for the next week. ... rather convenient that I will be going out to lunch with a co-worker (heh, heh, heh).

Happiness is...

• A rest day
  • New bike shoes, pedals, cleats
  • A gorgeous, sunny day... in spite of the accompanying chilly temps
  • Seeing friends getting their groove back
  • A carefree day of eating... left over luscious dark chocolate cake from the customer visit... mmmm.  Hey, I needed to replenish the glycogen stores in my body.  NO guilt, just incredible pleasure!

• Calories: 1886 From fat:412.99 (47.9g, 21.9%), From Carbs:1138.53 (297.09g, 60.37%), Protein:334.48 (87.28g, 17.74%)

Sunday - January 13

Bike
  • 5h 00m
  • 70.00 miles
  • 14.00 Mi/hr

1:00 YWCA
LOTS of interval workout for the middle three hours!

Strength
  • 1h 00m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Crunches, Lying Oblique
  • BACK - One Arm Row
  • BICEPS - Pulley Curls
  • CHEST - Alternate DB Press
  • LEGS - Hamstring Curls (Cable)
  • TRICEPS - Machine Extensions

8:00 with K

On tap for today:

8 am: meet K at the gym to lift weights
9 am: follow K to her house to interact with the litter of 10, two-week old Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies
10:45 am: get sniffed up one side and down the other by Chelsea
11:30 am: take Chelsea to her pet-sitter's so that they can hang together
1-6 pm: massive T.I.T.S. at the YWCA

OH, the little puppies were SO cute... I had one in my hands for about half an hour... she was snoozing the entire time, with little puppy dreams going on.
But, oh WOW, I have never had a dog body slam me into the wall before. The bitch and sire were just a WEE bit protective of the babies.... and I had still not come within six feet of the whelping box!
The mama was a jumper, but not a pinner. Papa came flying into the room, jumped up and pinned me to the wall. I was just a WEE bit nervous, especially since K had told me ahead of time that they were used by South African farmers to keep LIONS at bay!
But, her husband, G, gave me some dog biscuits, and I rapidly became friends with the dogs.
THEN it was okay for me to greet the babies.
WHEW!

Yoganerd's Training Log

January 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Volume

Time
Distance