SUNDAY
Patchy rain nearby
High 34F
Low 32F
MONDAY
Light snow
High 35F
Low 28F

Today has definitely turned into a rest day... I am pooped!

Oh... and just to be clear... yesterday was a WALK around Central Park... not a run... but, given the pace, I thought it fell under running.

Tomorrow I spend the better part of the day at the expo center, looking at what competition has, as well as what potential partners have to offer.

Then, a cab ride to the airport to catch a dinnertime flight back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happiness is...

• A good conference
  • I get to go home tomorrow!!!
Run
  • 2h 20m
  • 11.00 miles
  • 12m 44s /Mi

1:00 PM
WALKING totally around Central Park
11-12 miles

Holy cats!
Going from my hotel, all the way around Central Park is more than an 11 mile circuit...
I started off on 54th, and the north end of the park is at 110th... not to mention that it is a loop, not an out and back!
It felt wonderful to be out in the crisp sunshine, to move my body, and to be "in nature". The Niagarian Escarpment runs throughout the park, which was gorgeous. When I reached the NW corner of the park, there were icicles hanging from the escarpment. Some of it had formed not just as a "stalactite", but took on a ribbon shape... it was absolutely beautiful!

I couldn't believe that I heard, and then searched for and found, a robin! All of the robins in MN must migrate to NY for the winter - LOL!

Last day of meetings (1/2 day)!!
Then, I plan to wake up my brain cells, and clear out my lungs, with a walk to Central Park.

It is so funny where one's mind goes during extended meetings. Almost every time I meet with these guys (4-5x annually), at some point I start looking around the room, and I see all of us as like 10-12 years old... being able to see what each of the guys looked like when there were in grade school, which ones were the nerds, the chubby kid who always was picked on, the quiet kid, the jock (okay... none of the guys qualify for that one...), the sensitive kid, the rebel, AV kid, class clown, etc. In fact, I have found that I have increasingly fallen into this mode, even with co-workers back in MN. What is so fun, is that we all, somehow, survived youth and adolescence, and found our way to having this shared interest.

Happiness is...

• Being done with the committee meetings
  • Some fun seminars tomorrow - Net Zero Energy Buildings!
  • A delightful walk in Central Park
  • Another lovely massage......

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 14.00 miles
  • -----

5:30 PM

Strength
  • 12m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Knee-Raise, Hanging
  • BACK - Back extensions
  • BICEPS - DB Curls

GO PACKERS!

Today is another day of meetings, but at least I will not be locked in a SMALL room with 40 men.
Really, nothing against guys... but cram 40 of them into a room, with insufficient ventilation (they clearly do not use Trane equipment and controls), and it is brutal. At the first break, when I walked back into the room, yeah, well, you get the picture...

After the meetings, I will be changing into my workout clothes and will head up to the gym to workout and watch the game... the gym has Precor equipment... the stuff with "personal TVs" attached to each piece of equipment. I have turned off the TV most of the time (okay, except for the Aussie Open, yesterday), but it will be on for tonight's game.

Ultimate indulgence of myself... I have scheduled another massage with the incredible MT for Monday night!!! I cannot wait!

Happiness is...

• Being excited for New England having the opportunity to go for it all in a couple weeks
  • Being excited for the Manning family - back-to-back super bowls with their boys
  • A Packer game, well fought...
  • Half a day of meetings, tomorrow!! 

Bike
  • 40m
  • 9.00 miles
  • 13.50 Mi/hr

5:10 AM

Run
  • 1h 00m
  • 4.20 miles
  • -----

6:15 PM
Treadmill

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 25m

7:30 PM
Ankle PT

I am back on schedule with respect to getting up early. It felt great to get into the gym before today's meetings start. And, the bonus is that the Australian Open was being broadcast, which made for a wonderful workout.

Tonight I need to do my PT, and I am really leaning towards a second workout - either at the gym, or perhaps some yoga... so I don't fall incredibly far behind on that challenge. In fact, I just took a look at the number of minutes worked out this week... my butt WILL be working out, for at least an hour tonight.

Happiness is...

• Seeing all of the guys who are on the ASHRAE BACnet committee
  • Not being locked in the very crowded meeting room any longer
  • Running off the stupor created by a long day of discussing improvements to the Standard
  • 15 hours of workouts this week - woo hoo!

Bike
  • 30m
  • 8.00 miles
  • -----

3:15
Bike

Run
  • 30m
  • 2.25 miles
  • -----

2:40 PM
Treadmill

Strength
  • 11m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Crunches
  • ABS - Knee-Raise, Hanging
  • BACK - Back extensions

3:50 PM

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 27m

7:00 AM (yup, a bit late, today)
Ankle PT - abbreviated
Quad work

Oh, wow... I am a puddle right now.... I just had a massage from the most wonder woman from Taiwan. The technique was shiatsu / thai / deep tissue. I have had deep tissue massages before, but the two additional techniques made this beyond description. As the massage therapist, Shichi, said as she was leaving the room, "you look transformed"... I looked in the mirror and, holy cow, I don't think there is an ounce of tension in my body or in my face... even my breathing is deeper, and incredibly more relaxed

The massage was big bucks, but worth every penny... I am now trying to decide if I should schedule one more session with her... I will sleep on that thought, and decide in the morning.

So... I will be melting my way to the bed to relax, and await the order of sushi that is being delivered from the local asian restaurant... purrrrrrrr

... lots of water will be consumed to flush out all of the toxins and other crud that was released...

Ah, the best of intentions.
I guess I am a WEE bit exhausted after being awake at 3:30 yesterday, and the "long" trip, yesterday.
I had planned to get up really early to work out, but I reset my alarm a couple of times.
Fortunately, meetings do not start until 9 and are scheduled to end in the mid-afternoon. So, that will give me time for PT this morning, and then heading to the gym after today's meetings.

Ah, the "I'm on the road" eating obstacle course has begun... I had oatmeal for breakfast and it was disgustingly soupy. I had to dig in to the beef jerky that I brought along. Thank heavens I brought along some bottles of V8, granola bars, protein powder and more beef jerky...

Happiness is...

• A FANTASTIC fitness center at the gym... I cannot wait to go, again, tomorrow
  • A shiatsu / thai / deep tissue massage...
  • Wonderful New Yorkers - some of the best people in the world!
  • A good first day of meetings

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 15.00 miles
  • -----

5:00 AM

Sport #1
  • Physical Therapy
  • 35m

4:00 AM
Ankle PT
Quad PT - experimentation

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 40m

4:00 AM
Ankle PT
Quad PT - experimentation

So, I do believe that I have had another light bulb go off - this time with respect to my cycling technique. Scott told me yesterday, that I need to let the big muscles do the work - quads, not calves. Well, the light bulb turned on when I had a "duh" moment of "gee, I should ALSO concentrate on using my hamstrings and glutes".

In other words... my quads, hamstrings, and glutes are the piston, and my lower legs are simply the crank arm that transfers power from the piston to the transmission. They just go along for the ride.
Now, I WILL give some credit for the awareness to using cleats, because the power is transferred with minimal transmission loss.

Alrighty, then. I was wide awake at 3:30 this morning. No sense in trying to sleep, because this gives me a jump start to NY's time zone.

On tap for today:
Get off of BT and do my PT while watching the Aussie Open
T.I.T.S. with Artemis because it will be a week before I see her, again
Catch the taxi to the airport and fly to NYC to spend the next week

Happiness is...

• Enjoying my T.I.T.S. at the same time that tnickerson and nancschneids were enjoying theirs
  • Yippee! Trip to NYC
  • Safely arriving at my hotel, checking in, and now enjoying some time unwinding before tomorrow's meetings
  • Moments of enlightenment

• Calories: 1107 From fat:416.29 (46g, 37.6%), From Carbs:325.83 (81.01g, 29.43%), Protein:364.88 (90.72g, 32.96%)
Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 50m

5:30 AM
Ankle PT

7:00 PM
Knee-Quad work

I see Dr. Scott this morning for the usual tune-ups. I will be discussing my "biking knee" issue with him. And, even more exciting, is that I will be getting more ingredients for my post-workout drink... I can feel the muscle recovery, now!

Tonight will be a weightlifting session in TEAM, and probably 30 minutes of light cardio, afterwards.

So, Scott is of the opinion that my knee pain is a combination of my incredibly tight calves, and the fact that I need to strengthen all four muscles that comprise the quadriceps in each leg. My outer muscles in the group are stronger than the inner muscles, contributing to muscle imbalance, and potential stress on the patella.

Ha! One of my homework assignments is to hook up with the massage therapist at the hotel and have them work on my calves - OKAY! Now, how do I find a way to squeeze that into my expense report?? (darn ethics)

So... I am to do quad exercises... until my quads burn... and then do more. Here I was so proud of how my quads felt and looked... and now I will be spending more time with them. As he joked, I might just have to quit my job and do my PT exercises full time!

Happiness is...

• Additional exercises to help increase my preparation for triathlons
  • Going to NYC tomorrow
  • My marine nephew is back in the States after being in Japan for 6 months
  • My other nephew has a big role in his HS production of Seussical
  • Loving each person for their own individual interests and talents

• Calories: 1707 From fat:402.16 (44.98g, 23.56%), From Carbs:897.75 (225.92g, 52.59%), Protein:407.09 (102.45g, 23.85%)

Yoganerd's Training Log

January 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
Time
  • November's totals