Sunny
High 69F
Low 48F
SATURDAY
Sunny
High 62F
Low 47F

Wednesday - February 6

So, I saw Scott this morning, and my ankles are doing great... probably the best that they have been since I started seeing him.

He is of the opinion, as well, that I have been overtraining. As he said, some people have a body that will accept a hard three hour workout every day without rest. Others need more recovery time... I, unfortunately, am part of this group.

So I need to adjust my schedule, as follows:

• 2 days training (whatever I want to do)
  • 1 day OFF
  • 2 consecutive days off every 10-14 days
  • And... if my muscles are really sore the day after a hard workout, I am supposed to take it easy... and Easy is NOT 60 minutes of light bike riding... it may just be 30 minutes of light bike riding
  • Light stretching is okay on off days.

I will need to rework my training calendar, accordingly. But, I am making today an "off" day so that I get two in a row, immediately, to speed up the recovery from inflammation and overtraining.

I recognized almost all of the signs of overtraining, but missed the "weight gain" one.
Crankiness - check, Clumsiness (clumsi-er-ness) - check, lots of aches and pains - check, hard time waking up in the AM - check... but I missed the "large weight gain" in spite of working out and eating properly.
---------
Thank heavens that I am seeing Dr. Scott today... we went for two weeks this time... might have been too long?

And, I think that I have been overtraining... I am still out of sorts and really clumsy... I injured one of my hands in a meeting yesterday (yes, office types can injure themselves at work)... clumsy injury...

The dang speaker phone's volume wouldn't adjust down any lower so I was walking across the room to get some napkins to place on top of the speaker to mute it a bit (I R a engineer)

Well, I had to walk past the white board, and there is the aluminum tray that holds the white board markers, and it is a tight conference room... I BASHED the back of my left hand on the sharp edge of the tray... hurt like an S.O.... Huge hematoma... swelled up at least 1/2 inch.

My boss was out of the room at the time... came back in and both of us watched the swelling continue... I finally excused myself to get an ice pack... Now, I am left-handed... so this injury is a bit of a challenge.

The huge welt has gone down, but there is still plenty of swelling across the entire back of my hand. And, everything is incredibly tender, and the entire back of my hand will be black and blue...

My boss asked if we should write up the incident - uh, no. I guarantee that he and the guys are going to tease the heck out of me... he thought that I should have my safety project of the year be helping out with putting rubber bumper guards on the white board trays.
Hee, hee... kinda funny.

Tuesday - February 5

Woo hoo, I can hardly wait... my day at work is almost exclusively filled with meetings - ugh.
Oh well, tomorrow is a meeting-free day.

• Calories: 1446 From fat:401.43 (46.02g, 27.76%), From Carbs:771.67 (199.06g, 53.37%), Protein:272.9 (70.4g, 18.87%)

Monday - February 4

Swim
  • 37m
  • 1244.40 meters
  • 02m 58s /100 meters

WU = 200m
12x25 sprints
with 12x25 slow returns
plus the balance w/breast stroke for active recovery.

Run
  • 45m
  • 4.00 miles
  • 11m 15s /Mi
Strength
  • 10m

Push-ups = 30
Crunches = 100

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 26m

5:00 AM
Ankle PT

Time to get back to business, nutritionally. I really haven't strayed that far, but I have noticed that my portion sizes started to bump up a bit, and I have not been eating as many whole foods as previously. Time to regroup before things DO get out of control.

Happiness is...

• Not being as crabby as I was this morning - sheesh!
  • Awesome cardio work
  • Kick-butt push-ups... I need to start working on full push-ups, as my knee-assisted are about as "perfect" as I can get them

• Calories: 2947 From fat:710.22 (80g, 24.1%), From Carbs:1445.62 (366.38g, 49.05%), Protein:791.16 (200.51g, 26.85%)
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Overall Workout: 4

Sunday - February 3

Bike
  • 1h 15m
  • 16.00 miles
  • 12.80 Mi/hr

Gentle recovery ride

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 32m

7:30 AM
Ankle PT

Called an audible today, and met up with N, and her little guy T, to run a few errands.  What a blast... grocery shopping has never been so much fun.  Chelsea rode shotgun because the sun kept the car warm when I was in the stores.
--------------
OMG. So, this morning I am doing my PT, and I happen to look outside, into the wetlands behind my apartment. What do I see frolicking in the snow? Two coyotes! From the safe viewing area of the couch, Chelsea was watching them, as well. Really, really cool!

Today's plan is to enjoy some soft T.I.T.S., and also spend quality time with Chelsea. I am away from her for so much of the week, that I hate to leave her to go to the gym on Sundays. It looks as if the weather will be beautiful, so I think I will take her to her favorite park.

Then, tonight will be the Super Bowl!

Happiness is...

• Seeing two coyotes in the "back yard"
  • Chelsea is finally not flipped out by football whistles (took all season)
  • Friends and silliness
  • 23 weeks to my first Oly

Saturday - February 2

Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 25.00 miles
  • 16.67 Mi/hr

7:30 AM
Cycle 60 class, plus WU time

TNT (or TIT for some) kick off event was a lot of fun.  Lots of silliness, and a few tears when our honored team mates were introduced.  The triathlon honored team mate was not able to be there, but his mother was, so she talked to us for a few minutes, telling us about what an inspiration her son was to her.
-----------
Cycling class was brutal (but fun).  We did 75 minutes, with a TON of long, hard hill climbs.  Target heart rate was AT and Z4.  This is the very first time that I have been able to power up hills while in the saddle.  Why?  Because I have finally made huge progress in my pedal stroke, remembering to not use my lower legs very much, and use my quads/hammies/glutes.  This virtually eliminated any pressure on my knees.  Woo Hoo!
-----------
Today I am hooking up with a friend for an early morning spinning class, and then I go to the kick-off event for this year's Team in Training.
My "triathlon-mentor" has already contacted me (!)
It will be fun to meet her, the rest of the triathlon team, and the young person who will be our honorary team member for this fundraising activity.

Happiness is...

• Completing my taxes
  • A fun cycling class and breakfast with a friend
  • Today's kick-off meeting for TNT (or TIT)
  • Spending the evening snuggling with my dog

Friday - February 1

Run
  • 17m
  • 1.56 miles
  • 10m 54s /Mi

5:38 PM
Ran Outside (26 deg)

Swim
  • 30m
  • 1072.00 meters
  • 02m 48s /100 meters
Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 13m

5:10 AM
Ankle PT

Happiness is...

• Yay, the weekend is here!
  • A great run outside 

Thursday - January 31

Bike
  • 1h 40m
  • 18.00 miles
  • -----

5:30 PM

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 12m

5:15 AM
Ankle PT

My dog decided that I have spent enough time with my other love this month...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=7802

Happiness is...

• Watching the democratic debates... refreshing
  • 23 hours of T.I.T.S. this month!
  • One heck of a great set of teammates

• Calories: 2065 From fat:598.46 (65.24g, 28.98%), From Carbs:1225.95 (300.71g, 59.37%), Protein:240.6 (59.01g, 11.65%)
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 1 Hours slept: 6.5

Yoganerd's Training Log

February 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned