THURSDAY
Cloudy
High 60F
Low 45F

Saturday - April 26

Sport
  • Walking
  • 40m

I went with some friends to the Minneapolis-St. Paul Film Festival, which features films that have won at Sundance, etc. I joined them for a movie entitled, Nerakhoon (The Betrayel), a documentary that was filmed over a 23 year period, following a Laotion refuge family. As if that wasn't enough to bring tears, the co-director, who was the eldest son of the Laotian family, talked with us after the movie had finished... tears were just streaming down my face while we talked. Incredible what we did to Laos, what we did to the refugees, what the refugees faced when they made it to the states, and the incredible strength of this man and his family.
---------------------------------------------------------
Explain my sanity... I just spent a week in beautiful California... came home to MN... and woke up to an inch of snow on the ground!!!

These past few months have been a bit challenging for me from the standpoint of motivation, and time to train. I feel as if I have "floated" for a bit, and now need to start getting serious, again. I suppose that is what the off-season is for??? As a "driver" personality, it is difficult to shift into first gear, rather than wanting to red-line the tach. But, physically, this was probably the best thing for me to do.

Today, since I do not have any business trips for a good month, is my day to get back on plan. I rejoined WW to get a handle on my caloric intake and food choices. By doing the the "core" plan, I force myself to eat healthy, fresh, minimally-processed foods. The program has worked for me both of the other times that I have done it. It was funny, when I entered today's weight, the online tool had remembered my starting weight from 10 months ago, and congratulated me on losing > 10% of my starting weight. Sweet... good way to motivate me, right off the bat!

I am also rethinking my longterm goals. I spent time this past week re-reading my book that discusses Qi, how to build it, how to store it, how to conserve it, how to circulate it, and how to share it. It is the conserving Qi part that is the greatest risk for me, and has always been. So, I will continue to move forward, but I also need to evaluate WHY I think I need to do a full IM. I believe that a HIM will be the best distance for me, with time... I just need to continue a steady progression on my running skills.

I also had fun using Qi on Thursday night when Dawn and I had a slumber party in the hotel in Anaheim. I introduced her to Reiki, and she is very definitely sensitive to Qi, and very definitely needed some work on her knee... it is funny, I told her that I could really feel the energy pouring through my palms when I was working on her right knee... she then told me that it was her bad knee... funny how trusting the universe to guide you in the right direction works.

Friday - April 25

Flight was delayed by almost three hours... at least Dawn and I were traveling together... made it a MUCH more pleasant experience.  While waiting in the terminal we talked with the cutest young gal from Shanghai, who has been going to HS in the States, and was on her way to Columbus, OH to check out a college.  She is going to go far...

Thursday - April 24

Sport #1
    • Martial Arts - Qi Gong
    • 05m
    Sport #2
    • Walking
    • 1h 00m

Wednesday - April 23

Bike
    • 30m
    • -----
    • -----
    Sport
    • Martial Arts - Qi Gong
    • 05m

Tuesday - April 22

Sport
    • Walking
    • 40m

Monday - April 21

Run
    • 50m
    • -----
    • -----

Wralking:
    35 minutes running
    15 minutes walking
    Met with Dawn in Irvine, and had a LOVELY run!

Sport
    • Martial Arts - Qi Gong
    • 08m
    Yesterday was wonderful. We decided to skip the gardens and head to the beach in Malibu, instead... windy as can be, but the ocean was beautiful. It was both amusing and amazing to watch the surfers, and other people who were out enjoying the sunshine and warm temps (okay, not so warm with the wind). White girl from Minnesota opted to not wear sunscreen, so I have pink skin today... not burned, but definitely soaked up some great rays of sun.

Sunday - April 20

Run
    • 22m 30s
    • 2.10 miles
    • -----

Colorado Boulevard
    Outbound (12:30) uphill grade (161 bpm - approx)
    Inbound (10:00) downhill grade (144 bpm - approx)

Strength
    • 05m

30 push-ups
    3 x 60 seconds wall sits

Sport #1
    • Martial Arts - Qi Gong
    • 10m
    Sport #2
    • Walking
    • 30m

Yoganerd's Training Log

April 2008