Partly Cloudy
High 59F
Low 43F
WEDNESDAY
Patchy light drizzle
High 58F
Low 49F

Tuesday - August 12

• Calories: 2632 From fat:375.83 (41.19g, 14.28%), From Carbs:1652.19 (407.43g, 62.77%), Protein:603.98 (148.94g, 22.95%)

Monday - August 11

Run
  • 36m
  • 2.00 miles
  • -----

GWM Wun, pushing Chelsea in her chariot. (distance = guesstimate)
WU = 5 min walk
WO = 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 - repeats based on hills, and RPE.
CD = 3 min walk

This morning started off with a wee bit more excitement than planned for the day.  I woke up with a start at 1 AM when Chelsea jumped off the bed (it is a bit high for her) because she needed to go out, which is unusual for her.

I let her out and she peed for a very long time (22 count when she normally gets to an 8-13 count) (yep, I am weird, I guess because she has spent part of her life as an apartment dog, I got into the habit of counting how long she lifts her leg)(yes, she lifts her leg, and both big boys squat, go figure).

We all went back to bed, and I woke up at 5:00 to get ready for work.  I couldn't find her, so I looked downstairs, and found a puddle on the floor, with blood in it.  So, I soaked up the mess with a paper towel, and put it into a ziploc bag so that I could take it to the vet.  Chelsea was a bit lethargic, so I carried her upstairs, and then she trotted, merrily, into the back yard.

I called Val (she is traveling for work), to see if I sounded like a nutcase in wanting to take Chels to the E-Vet, rather than waiting for the regular clinic to open.  I think the E-vet has more capabilities plus, then can do the blood workup on the spot, rather than sending it out.  Val agreed that going to the E-vet makes sense.

So, miss party-dog and I went to the E-vet (Chels thought this was a GREAT social opportunity).  Fortunately, it is the least of the possible problems - a bladder infection.  The vet did an ultrasound of her pea-sized bladder (really), and could not see any crystals or stones, but I am to take her in to the vet in two weeks for a follow-up.  They also did a blood test, and everything looked good.

Now, unlike ALL other dogs, and her owners, Chelsea is not food-motivated,  WTF?   So, I paid a bit extra, but all medications are in liquid form.  Now, one might THINK that giving medication to a little dog would be easy... yes, I had to firmly, but gently wrestle her down to give her the meds, keeping my fingers from her mouth... the only good news about her trying to bite me, is that it gave me a clear shot for putting the syringe in her mouth... WHEW, only 11 more doses to go!

• Calories: 1993 From fat:351.89 (37.21g, 17.66%), From Carbs:870.41 (207.12g, 43.67%), Protein:770.71 (183.39g, 38.67%)

Sunday - August 10

Sport
  • Yard Work
  • 2h 00m

Okay, so call me a complete nut case.  I HAD to race the Turtleman, yesterday.  I was standing in line on Friday afternoon to pick up my race stuff, and it was just driving me nuts to think that I was not going to race.  I arrived home and told Val that I was rethinking racing.  Well, she gave me a thumbs up and said that heck, I already have a sore knee, might as well have a sore knee and be able to tell people that I had run a triathlon.

So, I commenced to getting my gear ready, and we were out of the house by 5 AM to head to the race site.  It was absolutely incredible and I am thrilled that I did it.  My overall speed improved over my last Oly, once my pace for each leg was calculated.  Yep, my knee was a bit swollen last night, and still is today.  But, I have the joy and pride of completing another triathlon to keep me incredibly happy.

This helped me to really face a character trait of mine... I have the habit of wanting to be overly-prepared, for having all of my "ducks in a row", and to leave as little to chance as possible.  I have been slowly overcoming this OCD :) behavior in other parts of my life... it is now time to face up to allowing chaos and non-perfect conditions to have a place in my triathlon life, as well.

Saturday - August 9

Bike
  • 1h 16m 40s
  • 22.00 miles
  • 17.22 Mi/hr
Run
  • 1h 07m 38s
  • 5.10 miles
  • 13m 16s /Mi
Swim
  • 41m 55s
  • 1500.00 meters
  • 02m 47s /100 meters

Yes, race fans, I did a re-think and decided to participate in spite of my knee pain.
It was a lot of fun to finally meet Sal/sparco as we were waiting for our respective swim starts.

The Galloway Method of running worked perfectly.  I was able to comfortably complete the run, and to not wear anything out, if you will.  As I become more proficient, my speed will increase, but I am incredibly happy with the results... this was kind of the local "big race", and attracts some pretty speedy folks.

Friday - August 8

Swim
  • 22m
  • 800.00 meters
  • 02m 45s /100 meters

WU: 2 laps breast stroke
WO: 16 laps free style

Thursday - August 7

Run
  • 35m
  • 2.12 miles
  • -----

Galloway Method - Day #1
5 min warmup walk
30 minutes wun
1:1 ratio (4.5 / 3.0)

Sport
  • Basketball
  • 17m

I do not usually allow myself to transition so quickly to the pacific time zone, but this week's schedule kind of forced me to do so... getting up this morning was rough, so I am working from home, today. Wonderful to be at home, with the kids, and still in my "pjs" at 9 am!

My flight home last night was almost a spiritual experience. I was lucky to get a bump to first, and seated next to me was a retired flight attendant - 45 years with Northwest. She lives in Arizona, but grew up in Minnesota. She was on her way back to MN to go up to the Boundary Waters to visit her longtime friend from flight attendant school, in the early 60s, who has a home up there.

We talked about everything under the sun, and several times my eyes welled up because I could just feel the incredible energy, compassion, loving-kindness in "paying it forward", as she described her life. What she was describing, is how I believe we should all live our lives. And, it wasn't as if she saw herself as altruistic, everything was very matter of fact, and interspersed with discussions about politics, nude sunbathing in the boundary waters, wine parties, etc.

We exchanged contact information at the end of the flight, and she invited Val and me to visit her if we are in AZ, and that we need to go to Sedona.

• Calories: 1169 From fat:171.82 (19.74g, 14.7%), From Carbs:755.45 (195.29g, 64.62%), Protein:241.73 (62.49g, 20.68%)

Wednesday - August 6

Yippee!! I get to go home this afternoon! It was a great conference, with fantastic conversations about our controls capabilities - I was busy almost non-stop, which was cool.

I picked up a couple of containers of Amino Vital while out of town, and I am going to use that, in addition to my typically training nutrition, to see if that helps with recovery time, as well as with repairing some chronic aches and pains.  I am interested in seeing how well it works. 

So, I finally admitted this in tnickerson's blog this morning... I am not sure about the wisdom of racing on Saturday.
Why not race? My right knee is still swollen after my move from a few weeks ago. One of my morning stretches consists of pulling each knee, individually, into my chest, while still laying in bed. I can tell that there is still a LOT of swelling in the knee, which hurts when I try to kneel down, as well. And, my "achilles heel", which is my "PB ankle" has been quite twingy.
The Irongirl duathlon comes up at the end of August, and I would really love to "re-begin my running career" by starting as a beginner, using the Galloway method. Yup... one mile, and one mile, only.
Why race? My ego knows I can finish the race. Plus, I do not want to let down a friend, with whom I signed up for the race. I would still go watch her run the race, so it is not a matter of not showing up.

Putting this in writing solidifies things for me, but I still hate to DNS... but, why am I doing triathlons? For fun, for health, for a personal challenge, to make the rest of my life more fulfilling.

Yoganerd's Training Log

August 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned