Run
  • 1h 00m
  • 3.10 miles
  • -----

Gritty Goddess Mud/Obstacle Run, Galveston TX

What a fun weekend!!  Quality time with my daughter, and a fun time with her coworkers, doing the Gritty Goddess run.  We left home about 5:15 PM  on Friday, picked up one girl at her house on the way and off we went.  There were 9 of us on our team, 8 were running, one had heart surgery earlier this year and was our official photographer and phone/wallet holder.  We were the "Dirty Girls".  This was the same group that I was the official photographer when I couldn't compete back in May.  We had to take 2 cars, 6 were in Kati's boss's Tahoe, and 3 of us were in Kati's car.  Late start, quickie stop at a McD's (Yuk), and we reached the hotel around 9:45 and pretty much went to bed.  We were up early, got breakfast at the hotel, and drove to Moody Gardens for packet pickup and to wait for our wave.  Weather was a balmy, humid 80 or so, the sun was intermittent, but there was a nice breeze.  First 3 waves went off and then it was our turn!  We started off running through the park, the mud was near the end... first obstacle was running up a BIG hill with a plastic sheet over it and water being sprayed on it and ropes to hold onto to get yourself up.  Somehow it was not slippery at all and I was able to run up it.  Then it was a huge slip n' slide down the other side, very fun!  We were going to stay together as a team, but no one besides me had been doing any kind of training, one girl was really large, one girl was pregnant, and one was a germaphobe.  Kati and I finished the slip n' slide, and saw already how far behind the rest of the team was, so Kati and I said screw it, and ran the rest of the race together, passing our wave and catching up to the wave ahead of us.  We ran most of it, walked some for sure, so our total time is an estimate, no official timing.  We were way cute in our tutus and accessories!!  The obstacles were all pretty doable, we were just starting to sweat when we reached the lazy river and had to wade through it against the current, it felt fabulous!!  I wanted to swim it, but my tutu kept falling off!  Some climbs over and under stuff, running through marshy areas, finally we reached the mud part.  I fell a couple of times trying to get over pipes, they were just a bit too tall for me to jump over.  We had to carry a landscape timber up and over 2 huge piles of mulch, and then pretty much immersed ourselves in mud until the final obstacle which was running through tons of soap suds!  The only obstacle I didn't do was the hand over hand type monkey bars, our hands were caked with wet mud, there was no way to hold on.  Found out later there were several ladies injured there, including a broken ankle and a broken wrist, so I'm glad I skipped it!  Then we waited probably a half hour for the rest of the team to come in,  we rinsed off, tossed my shoes and my tutu, they got their free beers and we got free ice cream sundaes and then headed back to the hotel to shower. 

We all got cleaned up and headed down the coast to find a place for lunch.  We were able to sit outside, right across the street from the water, very nice.  Then we went back to the race site, there were 2 parties for the Goddesses... one from 3-6 on the "beach" at the park with a DJ, and then another from 7-9, called the Glow Party.  The first one turned out to be starting at 4 instead of 3, so a few of us went back to put on swimsuits since the water slides and lazy river were going to be open for us to use.  The Glow Party was just getting started, although it had a pretty bad turnout.  We were all dolled up in our glow light necklaces and bracelets, and ready to relax and jam with the DJ when the mosquitoes from hell showed up!  We couldn't take it any more and left after about 10 minutes, they were VICIOUS!  A few of us hit the hotel hot tub for a bit, and then we hit the sack.  Up early this morning for breakfast and headed on home.  I am SORE!!!!!  I expected to be upper body sore, but the worst thing is my quads??!!  

All in all a fun time, and we are already planning to go back next year!!

• Calories out: 2613 From lifestyle:2092, From activities:522
REST DAY... was going to swim, but c'mon, 2 hour Grey's Anatomy premiere was on last night, couldn't miss that!! 
Run
  • 42m 40s
  • 4.02 miles
  • 10m 36s /Mi

5:05 am.
-----
66 -- 70% -- S 5 mph
-----
Intervals, 4 x 400 with equal recovery

• Calories out: 2473 From lifestyle:2102, From activities:371
Swim
  • 59m
  • 2600.00 yards
  • -----

5:30 a.m., Belton HS Pool
-----
WU: 400 and stretch
-----
DRILLS:
6 x 50, rest :10, (Odd 1-arm, even fingertip drag)
-----
MAIN SET:
10 x 100 on 2:10 (most were 1:40)
300 pull
2 x 200, rest :30
-----
CD: 200
-----

I spent the night at Kati's last night, we were making tutus for our Gritty Goddess race this weekend in Galveston, they are so cute!!  Plus they will cover my tummy and butt, win-win!  We are leaving Friday as soon as the water dept. girls get off work (9 of us are going), and will come back on Sunday... chance of rain, but I'm hoping it holds off till Sunday!

• Calories out: 2502 From lifestyle:2092, From activities:410
Run
  • 47m 52s
  • 4.15 miles
  • 11m 32s /Mi

5:10 a.m.
-----
65 -- 81% -- N 3 mph
-----
Good run... had to stop for a couple of friendly dogs that came over to say hi. Cooler temps make a huge difference!!

• Calories out: 2473 From lifestyle:2099, From activities:374
Swim
  • 57m
  • 2500.00 yards
  • -----

WU:
200 swim
200 pull w/ paddles
4 x 50 lateral kick
200 swim
-----
MAIN SET: