FRIDAY
Sunny
High 99F
Low 72F
Bike
  • 5h 34m 07s
  • 100.06 miles
  • 17.97 Mi/hr

IOSTC Neomonde 100 to Campbell and back. Fun ride with a good group but very hot and humid. The heat index was over 100 before noon. I'm just glad that we got out there plenty early. I was like 94 with a heat index of 104 when we finished.

Full nutrition test: Breakfast of bagel+pb, etc. (pre race food), EFS Liquid Shots in my drink (about 5 servings total for this ride), Clif Shot Blok every 20 minutes. Since it was so hot, I supplemented with additional plain water. Normally, I go through one bottle an hour. I had probably 3 additional bottles of plain water. I also had some pretzels at the rest stops.

Run
  • 10m 26s
  • 1.12 miles
  • 09m 19s /Mi

We brick run after the ride

Run
  • 2h 22m 25s
  • 14.10 miles
  • 10m 06s /Mi

Umstead run. It was hot, it was hilly. It's July so why would I expect anything different? It was just seriously drippy out there. The run was actually fine for the conditions. On the one hand, I appreciated the shade of running in Umstead but on the other, there was no air movement. I felt like I spent the rest of the day rehydrating.

Swim
  • 1h 30m 37s
  • 3499.56 yards
  • 02m 35s /100 yards

LTF swim
2 x 1600
= 3200 meters

Swim
  • 1h 05m 28s
  • 2700.00 yards
  • -----

500 swim
100 kick
6 x 50 drill
catch up, fist, single arm, finger tip drag, 6-3-6, dog paddle
-
2x first round free, second round pull
100 swim
50 kick
100 swim
50 kick
100 swim
-
100 swim
200 swim
300 pull
400 pull
= 2700 SCY

I spoke with Nadia afterwards and next Thursday we'll work on next steps. I have 4-5 more sessions with her before the masters program changeover.

FWIW, I've looked into area masters groups again and there are two other groups that might be possibilites -- RSA (Raleigh Swimming Association) and YOTA. RSA was kicked out of the TAC (Triangle Aquatics Center) by the same group that is taking over the masters there. hmm. YOTA is the YMCA group.

Run
  • 1h 26m 42s
  • 9.00 miles
  • 09m 38s /Mi

Greenway run with 4 x 1 mile intervals. Too.hot.for.this.

√ Lunch run on tap

Run
  • 58m 49s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 28s /Mi

Brittley both ways

Today's scheduled workout said hills and right away I thought of Brittley so I ran from my house over to Haddon Hall subdivision and then ran Brittley to the Peakway and took the hill to Salem Street and then went back to Brittley and did that going the other way.

Bike
  • 1h 02m 57s
  • 19.00 miles
  • 18.11 Mi/hr

Decent ride. Glad that it's under 90 degrees today -- seems much more manageable.

I think that I should probably to get the tri bike in to Matt for a pre Lake Logan looksie. I'll see if Kevin can drop it off next week. It's the road bike that needs a more major work up but I want the tri bike super smooth for the HIM.

√ Ride tonight!

I've kind of said it before but I'll flat out say it now -- my new coach and I are not working well together.  I need to fire her. I think that with two month to go until Chattanooga I should wait until after that and hopefully start with a someone else in October.  If this is off base, please feel free to tell me! 

Two questions: (1) how do you fire a coach nicely?  I have something written up about how we don't communicate well (basically, I ask questios and they go into the bit bucket. I know that she constantly checks her phone so I'm 99% sure that I'm being ignored).  I need ot be careful of how I part ways with her because she is local and she is married to the president of my tri club. (2) how do you interview a new coach?  I was with Maija for nearly 10 years before she retired and I found her through a recommendation.  I had never had a coach before so there was no real interview. She was recommended, we met once and we were off and running.  Clearly I messed up selecting Lisa.  I need to do better next time.  How did I select her, you ask?  Good question.  Basically we talked a lot while in the van during the Tuna Run relay last year.  She said that she could help me out and I said OK.  It went from her helping me out to her coaching me somewhere along the way.

Let me back up and say that both Coach M and Coach L are local.  Coach M sent me emails every two weeks with training blocks.  Every other Monday I'd email her my results from the past two weeks and she'd send back the next block later in the day.  If I had questions, she answered by email.  I'd see her in person maybe 1-2 times a year (and that includes bumping into her at Target and Whole Foods!)  In other words, I'd have no problem going with an online coach.  

Since I got Maija from a recommendation, I'd love to know who your coaches are and if you'd recommend them.

These has led me to think a lot about my goals.  I don't know what they are.  I generally enjoy training more than racing but I like to have the race out there to train for (does that even make sense?).  I like to run in the winter so Ive been doing spring running events.  I like parts of the tri training process so I've been doing IM type events.  I don't have particular time goals for the tris.  Is that wrong?

Swim
  • 1h 10m 53s
  • 2843.39 yards
  • -----

Masters swim
500 swim
300 pull
100 SKPS
400 swim
4 x 100, odds pull, evens swim
400 pull
200 swim
= 2600 LCM

Bike
  • 2h 04m 26s
  • 37.23 miles
  • 17.95 Mi/hr

Beaver Creek-Martha's Chapel-Davis

2x 30 min low Zone 4 w/ 5 min recovery. This was a tough workout, complete with me making faces towards the end of each interval as I tried to hang on. I really tried to focus on cadence throughout. I was pleased that I was able to time the five minute recovery to the Wilsonville signal light.

√ Ride tonight!

jmkizer's Training Log

July 2016 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance
Time