• 38m

Early morning walk with Emma

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Sunday - October 21

Run
  • 1h 40m 45s
  • 11.10 miles
  • 09m 05s /Mi

I ran up Olive Chapel to where the sidewalk ends. Nice run. Pleasant morning. Two weeks until the City of Oaks/Rex Healthcare half!

I test road the Trek Domane 5.2 WSD today. It seemed nice enough, handled well and all that.  It didn't feel quite right on a standing climb.  I think it's just a matter of different wheelsets and I think that my Mavic's may be better wheels than come with this bike.  I need to talk to the bike fitter and confirm that I can use the standard frame and not woman's specific.  I do not care for the eggplant color.  The red on the other frame is much nicer!

The shop has not received their new (2013?) Madone's yet so there was nothing from that product line for me to test ride.  The geometry of the new Madone's is supposedly aggressively racer specific and they felt that the Domane would be a better choice for the type of riding that I do.  I do know that it's down to Domane or Madone and I think that either would work well for me.

Since this is a crash replacement, Trek gets the crashed frame and I get 20% off a replacement.  As you know, I was leaning Trek for a purchase this time next year.

Domane 5.2 WSD

Not sure about the purple

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.75

Saturday - October 20

Bike
  • 2h 04m 51s
  • 37.24 miles
  • 17.90 Mi/hr

Beaver Creek-Martha's Chapel-Davis

Overall this was a good ride. It was cool out so I had arm warmers on. Since my only rideable bike at the moment is the tri bike, I used that even though I haver road rash on my lower left arm. The road rash scab on my left arm weeped a bit and got stuck to the arm warmer. Ouch!

When I picked up the mail today there were letters from lawyers.  I opened them and one contained the whole accident report.  This was of interest because the driver was charged with improper passing and DWLR.  I had to google the second one -- driving while license revoked.  Oh my!

• Health data: Hours slept: 9

Friday - October 19

Sport
  • Walking
  • 40m

Walk to/from fairgrounds

I got up to walk Emma and it was raining.  Em and I went back to bed.

I got a call from the bike shop.  Last evening I stopped by and pointed out my areas of concern.  They called Trek and determined that it was a crash replacement situation.  Something about the gauges and the carbon being weakened.  They are preparing an estimate for me to send to the pickup truck driver's insurance company.  I called the insurance company and they said they need the estimate and the bike's serial number.  I guess once I have the estimate, I'll probably go ahead and get the bike, trusting that the insurance company will come through.  At this point, I want to put this incident behind me.  I don't want to dwell on it.

NC State Fair

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.25

Thursday - October 18

Bike
  • 1h 05m 04s
  • -----
  • -----

I went to spin class this morning. I wasn't sure how much I could be able to do so I sat at in the back. I actually felt pretty decent so got a good workout in.

Went to the doctor this morning at DH's request.  Also, my wrist didn't feel right and I do have a lot of road rash after yesterday's incident.  The doctor gave me a tetanus booster and antibiotics (cephalexin 500 mg) due to road grit that may have become embedded.  He said no swimming for about a week until the road rash is entirely scabbed over.  Keep it dry.  He also wants me on Advil or Aleve type NSAID for at least the next three days.  Oh, the right wrist and elbow are likely soft tissue damage, good range of motion, etc.

I talked to coach and she stressed arnica and recommended neosporin plus Tegaderm.  The nurse at the doctor's office suggested mederma as well.

What is the protocol on car-bike accidents?  My bike is damaged -- needs new front brakes if nothing else.  The fork is all scratched to hell with deep gouges in it from the wreck.  Can I get the guy to replace it?  I mean, if it were my car and it had deep gauges and was scratched to hell, no one would question me taking it to a body shop, right?  What about the shorts that were totaled?  They were not cheap and I don't even think that they make the same style that I had before. 

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.75

Wednesday - October 17

Swim
  • 1h 12m
  • 2788.71 yards
  • -----

Warm up (400)
100 swim
100 6 beat switch
100 4 beat switch
50 over the barrel
50 stroke per distance

Work out
5 x 400 @ 40
10:17, 10:18, 10:18, 11:55*, 10:47

I miscounted that fourth set

Cool down
100 swim

Bike
  • 02m 10s
  • 0.49 miles
  • 13.54 Mi/hr

I was side swiped by a car this evening. The driver stopped and so did a witness and I do have a police report. I am more or less OK. Mostly scraped up and getting some swelling in my right hand/wrist. EMS did look at me and it was OK at the time so I think it's a swelling situation.

Road bike is in the shop.

Kevin and I went to Asheville for a few days.  We stayed at a swanky hotel and visited the Biltmore, had dinner at Tupelo Honey and visited not only the French Broad Chocolate Lounge but also Chocolate Fetish.

We brought our bikes to Biltmore and explored by bike as well as taking the regular tour.

Biltmore’s South Terrace, October 15, 2012

Biltmore’s South Terrace, October 15, 2012

Tuesday - October 16

Bike
  • 04m 23s
  • 0.49 miles
  • 6.71 Mi/hr

Oops, forgot to change from bike to run

Run
  • 1h 02m 19s
  • 6.43 miles
  • 09m 41s /Mi

Grove Park run.

Run around Asheville.

Morning run, breakfast at the hotel and then River Arts district.

• Health data: Hours slept: 10

jmkizer's Training Log

October 2012 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Volume

Time
Distance