High 73F
Low 44F

Wednesday - March 21

Bike
  • 52m 05s
  • 15.14 miles
  • 17.44 Mi/hr

Olive Chapel-Richardson

Short loop out toward Humie Olive and back.

I contacted the Turnpike Authority about the detour on Old US 1 which is supposed to end next week (http://www.westernwakeinfo.com/upcoming_road_closures.html). I understand from a cycling friend that the steal beams over the CSX tracks are not even in yet though. It's been almost a year of that detour.

Run
  • 15m 25s
  • 1.65 miles
  • 09m 20s /Mi

Short run through Seagroves Farm with Emma for the brick.

Brick tonight...

Tuesday - March 20

Swim
  • 48m 40s
  • 1859.14 yards
  • -----

warm up

Short drill set (7:00)
2 x 50 side kick
1 x 50 single arm
2 x 25 climbers

workout (41:40)
1,000 @ 2 min, 10x50 fast
25:50
1:05, 1:07, 1:09, 1:10, 1:08
1:09, 1:09, 1:08, 1:09, 1:09

cool down

A very bad storm cell blew in right after I finished my workout.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6

Monday - March 19

Sport
  • Walking
  • 47m

Early morning walk with Emma.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Sunday - March 18

Run
  • 1h 54m 53s
  • 13.29 miles
  • 08m 38s /Mi

Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon

Official chip time was 1:54:52 (and of course the official distance was 13.1)

Wrightsville Beach marathon and half marathon logo

So.... I decided to go for it.  The half and full runners lined up together and I lined up with the 3:45 pace group.  I thought (hoped?) the Pacer said 8:40 pace.  Good, I thought, I'm targeting 8:45!  Well, he actually said 8:30.  I wanted to stay with the Pacer for at least 6 miles.  I put the stress on him.  I just kept pushing it on him.  I stayed with them until mile 8 and let them go.

In terms of weather, it was very overcast with a fog/heavy drizzle out with a temperature of about 60 (and 100% humidity).  Miserable beach weather but good for running.

The whole half marathon prep time I was a mess because I discuss my goals for this race with my coach until after Donna when it was too late to do much about it.  My bad.

I ended up finishing 1:55-ish.  PR!

At the finish line

After finishing the half marathon

I saw this at packet pickup and it made me smile.

26.2 America runs on Dunkin

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Saturday - March 17

All checked in.  Nervous about the race.  Afraid I won't be able to keep pace.

Emma on the beach

After checking in, we took Emma to the beach.  Here is is lounging after a bit of ball chasing.  This is actually the beach that is used for the start of the Beach2Battleship full iron distance swim.

Wrightsville Beach half marathon race swag

Wrightsville Beach half marathon race swag

Friday - March 16

Run
  • 31m 50s
  • 3.40 miles
  • 09m 22s /Mi

I was in Manteo for work this week. I ran from downtown Mateo towards the airport and back. Nice shake out run before the half marathon on Sunday.

I took this picture of the Marshes Light in Manteo right after my run this morning.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5

Thursday - March 15

Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • 2405.95 yards
  • -----

warm up

Short drill set (7:00)
2 x 50 side kick
1 x 50 single arm
2 x 25 climbers

workout (52:27)
4x500 @ 45
12:28, 12:36, 12:24, 12:24

cool down

Out of town for work.  I looked at http://www.swimmersguide.com/pool directory and found out that one of the hotels offered a day pass to their indoor pool.  This was much much closer than the local YMCA.  A coworker cautioned me to look at the pool since the hotel -- The Elizabethan -- was "old school."  I went to the hotel and there was no one at the front desk.  I took it upon myself to wander through the premises to locate the pool.  The hallways were dingy and the carpet was years beyond needing replacement.  The pool, however, looked ok.  I went back to the front desk and got their attention.  I confirmed the pool hours and asked if the pool opens at 6 am and the lobby opens at 7 am, how can I get in?  They gave me a cell phone number to call.

On Thursday morning, I was there just before 6.  I went to the lobby door, cell phone in hand, and the same person that I spoke with on Wednesday saw me and let me in.  The pool was fine and I got my workout in.  I was the only person there -- me and a Spanish speaking woman who appeared to be a combo receptionist/cleaning person.  There was also a small workout room and I could see that people were in there but I didn't peak in to check out the equipment.

Swimmers Guide indicated that the pool used benzine and not chlorine.  I do think it was something other than what my regular pool uses since I had a headache most of the morning but when I am traveling, I am often somewhat dehydrated so who knows.

Below is a crappy cell phone photo of the pool -- four lanes -- 25m?  (they said junior olympic size).  The pool is located on the second floor.

Crappy cell phone photo of pool

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5

jmkizer's Training Log

March 2012 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned

Time

Upcoming races

• Washington Olympic Triathlon (Triathlon)
    6/28/2014 Washington, North Carolina
  • Lake Logan Half (Triathlon)
    8/2/2014 Canton, North Carolina
  • Ironman Chattanooga (Triathlon)
    9/28/2014 Chattanooga, Tennessee

Totals

• April's totals
  • March's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals