High 92F
Low 73F

Wednesday - June 13

Bike
  • 2h 23m 40s
  • 42.76 miles
  • 17.88 Mi/hr

Oh Melo Velo group ride. Route name: Hill Hater's Hell Route III

Part of the time I was with a group and part of the time I was between groups. At one point, Margaret asked, "Are you doing Blood, Sweat and Gears?" I said that I as not and she said, "Well you could!" That was nice to hear. I was attacking the hills and pulling ahead of my group there. I lost them going up the two mile hill on New Hill Road.

Overall I felt pretty good about this ride.

Run
  • 17m 25s
  • 1.87 miles
  • 09m 19s /Mi

Short run off the bike with strides every other minute. Emma does not like strides so she stayed home.

Group ride and brick run on tap for tonight.  Emma will not be joining me for the run since it involves speed work.

In other news, Andy Schleck is out of the TdF after an injury in the Criterium du Dauphine. 

In addition, the US Anti-Doping Agency is bringing charges against Lance Armstrong.  As a result of these charges, Lance is banned from competing in tris. Personally, I think that this is a waste of taxpayer money.  I'm not sure what is to be gained here.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

Tuesday - June 12

Run
  • 1h 03m 19s
  • 6.70 miles
  • 09m 27s /Mi

Haddon Hall

I ran for 10 minutes and then did 10 minutes at half marathon pace. The rest was in Z2.

The Haddon Hall neighborhood has some good hills, one of which has some really decent grade to it. I'm starting to worry if I am getting in enough hills for Vineman.

Swim
  • 1h 30m 23s
  • 3663.60 yards
  • -----

Storms were predicted. It was sunny. Go Weather People!

warm up

drills (9:25)
- 3 x 25 fist drill followed by 125 of swim regular
- 2 x 50 over the barrel
- 25 over the barrel, 25 high elbow

workout (1:21:00)
3 x 1000 @ 1:30 recovery with 1x spot forward per 100. Mid set at race pace.
25:43, 25:33, 26:40

Very weird swim. I did not feel good in the water. During the first set, my hand hit the lane divider multiple times. I have never had that happen before. After the first 1000, I saw my time. Huh. Why do I feel so ick in the water then? I also noticed that there was a woman in the lane next to me doing water aerobics causing the lane divider to bow out into the middle of my lane. That explains that.

Anyway, times were better than last Tuesday. Never felt right in the water though. I'm probably getting some fatigue going on.

Calf cramp during final set (right leg today)

AM: Swim tonight.  Another dreary Tuesday with rain (storms?) predicted this afternoon.  I'm thinking No Lightning thoughts.

PM:  No Lightning thoughts worked -- the storms bypassed us.  Yesterday's forecast was 95% chance of storms from 4-6 pm. Some violent storms. Flash flooding, etc. Not only was it not storming last night -- it was sunny and beautiful! I did my workout in the outdoor pool. Yippee for accuracy! 

I have to confess that partway through the workout, I wouldn't have been sad for a sudden storm to have popped up. Surprised  I even spent time determining how far into the workout I would have to be to not call a do-over.  In NASCAR isn't it 50%?  Would it be legit to use the NASCAR rules?

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.5

Monday - June 11

Swim
  • 30m
  • 874.89 yards
  • -----

Swim lesson

Swim lesson: Jen said that there is nothing wrong with my stroke but this morning I was swimming as though I am fatigued.  I told her that at the end of my sets I sometimes feel like I am not getting enough air.  She had me do some fast 50s @ 10 seconds and said that towards the end, my right arm was not completing the stroke properly.  My right elbow drops too soon.  We did high elbow drill to focus on that.  She said swap flip n hold for high elbow in my drills.  She said that when the elbow does it’s own thing, my rotation gets out of sync.  If I feel this happening, focus on both elbow and body rotation.  This will help with getting air in.

We also discussed my kick (mentioned above) and she said that the kick is the next thing to work on.  We’ll start on that after Vineman.  

In other news, she is 4 months pregnant.  I may need another swim coach to work with after Halloween or so.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.25

Sunday - June 10

Run
  • 2h 21m 37s
  • 15.04 miles
  • 09m 25s /Mi

Laura Duncan - Waldo Rood - Bond Park

Nice run. I was thankful that the route was through Bond Park. I like to go through the park because I can ditch gel wrappers, etc. [TMI ALERT ON] Today I had some GI issues that started after taking the Double Espresso Clif Shot at mile 5. Emergency use of rest room ensued (mile 8.5 or so). [TMI ALERT OFF] I went ahead and took the other Vanilla Clif Shot at mile 10 as planned. I'll have to do a little further testing to see if it was a "thing" or a reaction to the product.

Note: I had two fig newtons before the run.

Swim
  • 1h 22m
  • 3171.48 yards
  • -----

Warm up

Drills (300 ~ 8:06)
- 3 x 25 fist drill followed by 75 of swim regular
- 2 x 50 over the barrel
- 25 over the barrel, 25 flip n hold

Workout (1:13:54)
10x50 fast @ 10, 2x800 with 1x spot forward per 50 @ 1 min, 10x50 fast @ 10
1:06, 1:06, 1:09, 1:09, 1:10, 1:10, 1:12, 1:12, 1:10, 1:10
21:20, 22:05
1:14, 1:17, 1:15, 1:17, 1:18, 1:19, 1:20, 1:19, 1:16, 1:09*

* "wetsuit simulation" (aka pull buoy)

Tracking Manatees in IMKS 70.3:

• 319 - Claire
  • 1586 - Reece's relay team (not loading though.  His individual number was 460 before changing to relay) <-- never did get the relay stuff on the tracker

• Health data: Hours slept: 8

Saturday - June 9

Bike
  • 5h 09m 43s
  • 90.59 miles
  • 17.55 Mi/hr

Morrisville - Bennett - Cornith

Nice solo ride. I think that this went better than when I did this route last month. I saw a turtle in the road near Cornith and stopped to move it off to the side.

Nutrition: I had two fig newtons at one hour, a Clif bar at two hours, a Clif bar at three hours and a Honey Stinger Waffle at four hours. Two bottles of water with CamelBak Elixir followed by two bottles of plain water.

turtkle resecue
Turtle rescued at mile 67 today!  I moved the little guy to the grass.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8

Friday - June 8

Swim
  • 1h 30m
  • 3608.92 yards
  • -----

Warm up

Drills (300 ~ 8:03)
- 3 x 25 fist drill followed by 75 of swim regular
- 2 x 50 over the barrel
- 25 over the barrel, 25 flip n hold

Workout (1:22:18)
15x200 @ 30 alternating easy with fast
4:39, 5:12
4:40, 5:16
4:38, 5:15
4:37, 5:16
4:44, 5:22
4:47, 5:16
4:57, 5:25
5:04

Cool down

I tried to make sure that the easy was easy and the fast was fast.

Cramp in right calf in third to last set. The second to last set was easy and that went well. Breathing good until the last two fast sets.

This morning's excitement at the gym involved me losing my engagement ring.  I always take off my rings before I swim.  I put them in my eyeglass case along with my classes.  I also put any jewelry for my work outfit in there. 

So this morning I rolled out of bed, let Em out, went to the gym and changed, leaving my glasses and rings and glasses in my eyeglass case as usual.  Then I swam (first bit of swim went well.  last bit less well.), showered, put on work cloths, grabbed my toiletry bag and went to the sinks/mirrors to brush my hair, etc. 

I opened my eyeglass case and my wedding ring was there as were my earrings, necklace, glasses -- but no engagement ring.  I looked around.  Nothing.  I asked and several other people looked.  Nothing.  Someone walked in and said, "Is this what you are looking for?"

Clearly I need a better place to put my rings when I swim! 

So thankful the ring was found.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.75

Thursday - June 7

Run
  • 1h 01m 44s
  • 6.69 miles
  • 09m 14s /Mi

Haddon Hall

20 minutes at half marathon pace. Legs did not feel like doing it. I used Brain Control to force them to cooperate.

It was cool out this morning -- not even 60 degrees. In June. In North Carolina. Weird.

Emma interviewed a new pet sitter last night.  Her regular pet sitter is busy during part of our time in CA for Vineman so the plan is for her to go between sitters (both through Fetch). 

The new sitter has a dog and we needed to make sure that Sampson and Emma got along OK.  We got there and talked to Diane for a bit.  Sampson was outside. We took Em off leash and let Sampson and Emma meet.  Sampson said, "This is my house!"  Emma turned her head to the side and said, "I know!  And anyway, I have my own People."  That was it. 

Emma got pets from Diane and her family.  Sampson got pets from Kevin and me.  We talked.  Emma said that Diane is hired.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.5

jmkizer's Training Log

June 2012 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned

Time

Upcoming races

• Ironman Chattanooga (Triathlon)
    9/28/2014 Chattanooga, Tennessee
  • Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon (Run)
    11/16/2014 Las Vegas, Nevada
  • MyrtleBeach.com Myrtle Beach Marathon (Run)
    2/14/2015 Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Totals

• September's totals
  • August's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals