High 86F
Low 68F

Tuesday - June 19

Run
  • 49m
  • 5.39 miles
  • 09m 05s /Mi

Downtown-Peakway

Morning run with 10 minutes at half marathon pace mid run.

My right leg felt much better than it did on Sunday. I've been foam rolling and doing Epson salt baths.

Swim
  • 1h 31m 26s
  • 3663.60 yards
  • -----

warm up

drills (9:20)
- 3 x 25 fist drill followed by 125 of swim regular
- 2 x 50 over the barrel
- 25 over the barrel, 25 high elbow
- 50 regular, goggle fix

workout (1:22:06)
3 x 1000 @ 1:30 recovery with 1x spot forward per 100. Mid set at race pace.
26:45, 25:51, 26:25

I was trying to work on pacing and go more of a steady pace on the first set and race pace for the second as instructed. That didn't work out for me as well as I hoped. I felt a lot better during the second and third sets. I think that I was concentrating on going a steady pace and I ended up with more of an easy pace and that messed up my rotation.

AM:  I decided to take this afternoon off from work.  I'll swim on my way home and then have lunch.

Sports massage:  Left IT band, right hamstring and right calf.  The left IT band was a bit of a surprise to me but it makes sense.  It hasn't been bothering me but apparently it is a bit irritated and is pulling my pelvis down which is causing my right hamstring to work harder than it should have to.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.75

Monday - June 18

Sport
  • Walking
  • 43m

Early morning walk with Emma.

Hamstring was fine walking. Foam rolled after. It seems to be the outer hamstring and piriformis that are angry. Must get those anger issues under control.

More stretching and foam rolling in the evening along with an Epson salt bath.

I spoke with Coach and she assured me that this is pretty much where she expected me to be -- tired.  She adjusted my training block to allow extra rest time during the week here to mitigate though.  She stressed, "When you are tired and train, you simply do not perform where you would want to be.  This is expected at this point in your IM training and strangely sort of the goal."

Watch rest, hydration, nutrition.  Up electrolytes.  Consider supplementing with additional Vitamin D, B12, folic acid and L-Glutamine to support my body during part of the training cycle.

Note to self:  I do think that I am more tired than I was 5.5 weeks before B2B -- but maybe I blocked that out.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Sunday - June 17

Run
  • 2h 43m 17s
  • 16.45 miles
  • 09m 56s /Mi

I feel like I kind of fell about here and I let myself down. I just could not get my heart rate up and then just after the 10th mile, my right hamstring started to act up. It has never done this before but it kind of camped and wanted to lock up on me. I was able to keep going. It seemed better on slight includes. It locked up on me twice more during the run and was angry from that initial incident at mile 10 on.

When I stopped running, my leg did not feel bad at all. Going up and down stairs, etc. is not an issue and wasn’t even immediately after I got home and went upstairs to shower.

I have an appointment will Jill on Tuesday anyway so it will be addressed then as well as foam roller, bath, etc.

Note: Fig newtons before the run, 2 Clif Shots (including the double espresso that I blamed for last week's issue) during the run. Nathan' handheld bottle with water. Breakfast when I got home.

Swim
  • 1h 21m
  • 3171.48 yards
  • -----

Surprisingly pleasant swim after this morning's run.

Warm up

Drills (300 ~ 8:06)
- 3 x 25 fist drill followed by 75 of swim regular
- 2 x 50 over the barrel with buoy

Workout (1:13:46)
10x50 fast @ 10, 2x800 with 1x spot forward per 50 @ 1 min, 10x50 fast @ 10
1:07, 1:09, 1:10, 1:10, 1:11, 1:10, 1:10, 1:11, 1:09, 1:10
21:18, 22:04
1:12, 1:15, 1:15, 1:14, 1:17, 1:16, 1:17, 1:16, 1:16, 1:16

Cool down

Spot forwards are a lot more fun outside! I knew that but with all of the ones today, that was especially evident. I do them facing the people in the chairs and I try to spot one thing. Woman in black polka dots. Man reading book. Lots of kids walking toward the pool, adult swim must be over.

PM:  Epson salt + baking soda bath

AM:  I think that I kind of started to fall apart this week.   I feel tired and worried and frustrated.  I am worried that my bike has left me and isn’t coming back anytime soon.  I am worried because I don’t think that I’m supposed to feel this tired until next week for the week after.   I almost called Coach earlier this week but what can she do?  The long workouts need to get done.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8

Saturday - June 16

Bike
  • 5h 54m 17s
  • 101.84 miles
  • 17.25 Mi/hr

I was really disappointed in my ride today. I think that I should be faster than this. In fact, I think that my last several long rides should have been faster than they have been. This is very concerning to me. How can I have a strong bike in Vineman if I’m not riding well here? Granted, it as blustery out during the ride today (not just in my head, Jim and other riders mentioned it) but there is a big difference between the 17.25 mph that I did today and the 17.8 that I did on this same route prepping for B2B.

Note: 2 fig newtons, 2.5 Clif bars and a Honey Stinger waffle. The PB Clifs were more agreeable than the white chocolate macadamia today and I only had a half of that one.

Run
  • 11m 21s
  • 1.23 miles
  • 09m 14s /Mi

Good run off the bike.

Birthday girl!
Happy birthday to Emma!

• Health data: Hours slept: 8

Friday - June 15

Swim
  • 1h 32m 32s
  • 3608.92 yards
  • -----

Warm up

Drills (300 ~ 8:05)
- 3 x 25 fist drill followed by 75 of swim regular
- 2 x 50 over the barrel with buoy

Workout (1:24:26)
15x200 @ 30 alternating easy with fast
4:49, 5:21
4:47, 5:21
4:43, 5:29
4:46, 5:24
4:51, 5:28
5:01, 5:28
5:04, 5:32
5:10

Cool down

The good news is that I felt better in the water today than I did on Tuesday. Also, no leg cramps. The bad news is that my times were off. I was definitely pushing on the fast ones, breathless at the end, etc. Frustrating.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.25

Thursday - June 14

Bike
  • 2h 07m 14s
  • 38.08 miles
  • 17.96 Mi/hr

Beaver Creek-Martha's Chapel-Davis

This is one of my favorite routes. I started out pretty fast and quickly realized that I had quite a tail wind. Fast speed, low (too low) heart rate. No worries, Beaver Creek is coming up soon. I turned onto Beaver Creek (crosswind) and did my interval there. This is when I realized that I had a problem. My heart rate did nothing. I tried to push my pace and tried to get the heart rate up and my body did not cooperate with me. It was a sad interval.

I finished up the last hour of the ride paying for the tail wind that I had earlier with had headwind on Martha's Chapel/Lewter Shop.

Don't get me wrong, there were definitely some fun parts of this ride! I spent too much time obsessing about my heart rate. I was relatively happy with the speed at least :-)

Later, I checked the weather info from the airport for the time that I was riding: NE 15 G 21.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

Wednesday - June 13

Bike
  • 2h 23m 40s
  • 42.76 miles
  • 17.88 Mi/hr

Oh Melo Velo group ride. Route name: Hill Hater's Hell Route III

Part of the time I was with a group and part of the time I was between groups. At one point, Margaret asked, "Are you doing Blood, Sweat and Gears?" I said that I as not and she said, "Well you could!" That was nice to hear. I was attacking the hills and pulling ahead of my group there. I lost them going up the two mile hill on New Hill Road.

Overall I felt pretty good about this ride.

Run
  • 17m 25s
  • 1.87 miles
  • 09m 19s /Mi

Short run off the bike with strides every other minute. Emma does not like strides so she stayed home.

Group ride and brick run on tap for tonight.  Emma will not be joining me for the run since it involves speed work.

In other news, Andy Schleck is out of the TdF after an injury in the Criterium du Dauphine. 

In addition, the US Anti-Doping Agency is bringing charges against Lance Armstrong.  As a result of these charges, Lance is banned from competing in tris. Personally, I think that this is a waste of taxpayer money.  I'm not sure what is to be gained here.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

jmkizer's Training Log

June 2012 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance