• 3608.92 yards
  • -----

warm up

drills (8:14)
- 3 x 25 fist drill followed by 75 of swim regular
- 2 x 50 over the barrel
- 25 over the barrel, 25 flip n hold

workout (1:22:23)
3 x 1000 @ 1:30 recovery with 1x spot forward per 100. Mid set at race pace.
25:57, 26:14, 27:12

Calf cramps during final set.

My before trying this imaginary pace was 25. I tried to swim "steady" for the first set and then go faster for the second set. When I saw the first set was 25:57, I knew this would be tough. I felt good during the middle set but I need more work on my pacing. The last set was messed up due to the leg cramps.

Sports massage.  I scheduled the appointment for two reasons:  (1) I wasn't sure if 3MM would beat me up any and (2) this is going to be a big training month for me.  I want to go into it the in the best way possible.  I was feeling good going into the office.  My calves were bothering me some, having cramped up during the swim in the morning but that was my only complaint.  Well, Jill found all sorts of angry muscles.  What she said is the back plane from thorax to hamstrings plus calves.  She suggested soaking in the tub a few times a week after particularly tough workouts -- water as hot as I can stand it and one cup each of epsom salt and baking soda.  I stopped on my way home and got a large supply of each.  I see her again in two weeks.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.75

Monday - June 4

Run
  • 1h 33m 46s
  • 10.03 miles
  • 09m 21s /Mi

Haddon Hall + Peakway

My long run was moved from Sunday to Monday this week due to 3 Mountain Madness. The run went well and I think that it was good that it was scheduled for this morning rather than yesterday. I made a double loop course to keep me in well lit areas.

I wore my older running shoes today. I have been trying to keep them going as long as possible so that my replacement shoes will be in good condition for Vineman. Yesterday I told Kevin that today would probably be my last long run in the pink ones. I have the speed laces on the blue ones and plan to start using them for bricks this week.

I used the Nathan handheld this morning. I'm getting used to it. I wore the Delta Tri Team singlet this morning. No chafing.

I had two fig newtons before the run, a Gu during the run and breakfast afterward.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6

Sunday - June 3

Swim
  • 1h 20m 55s
  • 3280.84 yards
  • -----

Warm up

Drills (300 ~ 8:18)
- 3 x 25 fist drill followed by 75 of swim regular
- 2 x 50 over the barrel
- 25 over the barrel, 25 flip n hold

Workout (1:12:37 ~ 2700)
(200 steady @ 20, 100 fast @ 10)x 9
4:54, 2:17
5:06, 2:14
5:07, 2:16
5:09, 2:16
5:14, 2:20
5:16, 2:20
5:17, 2:22
5:20, 2:22
5:24, 2:28

Cool down

Long run scheduled for tomorrow due to 3MM yesterday.

More photos from yesterday's ride

Preparing for 3MM

Preparing for 3MM (above)

View of Pilot Mountain from the 60 mile rest stop

View of Pilot Mountain from the 60 mile rest stop 

View from the top of Pilot Mountain

View from the top of Pilot Mountain

Emma, after a rough day of waiting for mom

Emma, after a rough day of waiting for mom

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.75

Saturday - June 2

Bike
  • 5h 09m 52s
  • 75.37 miles
  • 14.59 Mi/hr

3 Mountain Madness

The ride went well and I had a great time. I'm really pleased.

3MM logo

Kevin, Ron M. and me before 3MM

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.25

Friday - June 1

Rest day.  I started gathering up gear last night.  After work I need to finish packing (grab Garmin, electronic chargers, etc.) and then we will head to Mt. Airy -- aka Mayberry.  Kevin and Emma will be joining me.  I think that Kevin plans to take Emma for a short hike while I am riding.  He also plans to bring a book.

3MM Notes

• The first 45 minutes or so, people ride together.  The groups break up as we get to Sauratown.  After this, it's more or less a solo effort.  The Sauratown climb is in full sun.  Keep this in mind when selecting a jersey.
  • I'm glad that I checked my results from the other two times I've done this ride.   13.78 mph average the first time and 14.6 the second time.  
  • Check the mileage on your bike computer at the ranger station at the bottom of Pilot Mountain.  The steep part is in the first 1.6 miles.  After that, the tree canopy opens up and the grade is less crazy.  (It's a total 2.4 miles to the top.)
  • Based on past experience, expect to finish between 1:30 and 2:00. 
  • Remember to bring a towel.  There are showers at the end.
  • The website says that the 75 mile loop has 8600 feet of climbing.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5

Thursday - May 31

Bike
  • 1h 00m 19s
  • 18.27 miles
  • 18.17 Mi/hr

Olive Chapel-Humie Olive

I took the road bike out tonight since I'm planning to ride that for 3 Mountain Madness this weekend. The grade on Pilot Mountain is not tri bike friendly ;-)

I also used my Terry Bella shorts which I think I will wash and wear on Saturday. They are a good match for the Madone.

The deck to patio transformation is about wrapped up.  The sod still needs to be put in and we still need topsoil in the planters.

Before

Deck before the transformation

Before 2

After

Patio

After 2

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

Wednesday - May 30

Bike
  • 1h 02m 59s
  • 18.58 miles
  • 17.70 Mi/hr

Ride 60 min (z2) except for 2x hill repeats. I did my repeats on Evans from Apex BBQ to the end at Humie Olive.

I got stuck behind a garbage truck on the way back and could not pass. Ugh.

Run
  • 16m 32s
  • 1.88 miles
  • 08m 47s /Mi

Run off the bike -- run 15 min (z2) with 8x1 min strides with 1 min between. I did the run in Seagroves Farm.

AM:  Brick tonight.  Hopefully the rain bands from Beryl will move out in time for me to get my workout in outside.

PM:  The rains moved out this afternoon and by 2 pm it was all blue skies.  I got my ride in and the workers finished the patio.  Emma will be so happy to be able to go into the back yard again!  There are a few more things for them to wrap up -- a few pieces of sod, a little bit of trim work for the carpenter to fix up (we need a piece of siding where the deck sill was attached to the house) and the electrician needs to finish up the lights.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.75

jmkizer's Training Log

June 2012 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned

Time

Upcoming races

• Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon (Run)
    11/16/2014 Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Rock ā€˜nā€™ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon (Run)
    4/12/2015 Raleigh, North Carolina

Totals

• September's totals
  • August's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals